Australian baby shower etiquette — The Bump
Baby Showers

Australian baby shower etiquette

I'm the first in group of friends to get pregnant, I doubt any of my friends will offer to throw me a shower as I don't think any of us are familiar with the rule that you can't throw one for yourself. I'm wondering if those etiquette rules are as important in Australia? I literally do not know, as I might just be in the dark due to not having any friends with kids. :)

Re: Australian baby shower etiquette

• Is your mother around? Ask her, she'll have a far better grasp of the norms of your social circle then strangers on the Internet.

Personally, I still wouldn't plan my own shower. If you want to celebrate the baby, host a get together once your comfortable with guests being around. Parties before the baby is born are about you, parties after the baby is born are about the baby.
    LFAF October Signature Challange
    kmcc14[Deleted User]fwtx5815
  • Throwing your own shower isn't appropriate in any culture.  You're essentially saying to your friends, "Hey, I want you to buy me stuff, so I'm going to throw a party that's all about giving me presents so you feel obligated to do so, cool?"  That's not a nice thing to do to your friends no matter where you live.

If no one throws you a baby shower, life goes on.  People who want to buy you/your baby gifts will do so, even without a party.
    kmcc14Sassenach1743fwtx5815
  • ashhsaashhsa
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Second Anniversary First Answer
    For those who are curious and from other countries, I asked a bunch of Aussie ladies on another thread, and they all agreed, it's actually not so much taboo here at all, most people wouldn't bat an eye. ;) thanks for the well meaning advice but please keep in mind other cultures do have a VERY different idea of Ettiquite, and Australia is a pretty relaxed place! :)) Thanks @KateLouise :) that wAs probably more what I was thinking with the bbq idea, more a celebration than a "shower" I'm not that fussed on presents, am fortunate enough not to "need" them. Maybe I could put "you presence is present enough" on the invite, as some people do for weddings, and that way both men and women could come.
  • ashhsaashhsa
    All I really want is a party, lol, with a cake, and flowers, and decorations, in my own home. and I would want to choose my own, haha. I'm quite happy to throw "a non-shower" and not get a single present, but just hang out with my friends both male and female before the baby comes in a celebratory way. So I guess my new question would be, how would I phrase that on a invite with out it sounding like I want to be "showered" with presents?
  • ashhsaashhsa
    edited June 2015
    Okay, so I'm just going to go with the throw a bbq /party idea, in truth I don't want presents, I don't feel "entitled " to them, but I do really want a chance to celebrate with friends. So would you just put "come celebrate with us before the baby comes" or something like that? I don't know how to phrase it.

Edited, as I reread it and it sounded defensive and grumpy... Lol... I'm not grumpy, you answered my question honestly :)
  • ashhsa said:
    Okay, so I'm just going to go with the throw a bbq /party idea, in truth I don't want presents, I don't feel "entitled " to them, but I do really want a chance to celebrate with friends. So would you just put "come celebrate with us before the baby comes" or something like that? I don't know how to phrase it. Edited, as I reread it and it sounded defensive and grumpy... Lol... I'm not grumpy, you answered my question honestly :)
    Don't mention the baby at all. Just make it a normal invite to a regular party/get together.
    I'm an opinionated lurking lurker who lurks and offers advice and admonition as needed. You've been warned of my lurking nature.

wassuphoesSassenach1743FemShepfwtx5815