Baby Showers
Options

Australian baby shower etiquette

I'm the first in group of friends to get pregnant, I doubt any of my friends will offer to throw me a shower as I don't think any of us are familiar with the rule that you can't throw one for yourself. I'm wondering if those etiquette rules are as important in Australia? I literally do not know, as I might just be in the dark due to not having any friends with kids. :)

Re: Australian baby shower etiquette

• Options
    Is your mother around? Ask her, she'll have a far better grasp of the norms of your social circle then strangers on the Internet.

Personally, I still wouldn't plan my own shower. If you want to celebrate the baby, host a get together once your comfortable with guests being around. Parties before the baby is born are about you, parties after the baby is born are about the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Throwing your own shower isn't appropriate in any culture.  You're essentially saying to your friends, "Hey, I want you to buy me stuff, so I'm going to throw a party that's all about giving me presents so you feel obligated to do so, cool?"  That's not a nice thing to do to your friends no matter where you live.

If no one throws you a baby shower, life goes on.  People who want to buy you/your baby gifts will do so, even without a party.
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    For those who are curious and from other countries, I asked a bunch of Aussie ladies on another thread, and they all agreed, it's actually not so much taboo here at all, most people wouldn't bat an eye. ;) thanks for the well meaning advice but please keep in mind other cultures do have a VERY different idea of Ettiquite, and Australia is a pretty relaxed place! :)) Thanks @KateLouise :) that wAs probably more what I was thinking with the bbq idea, more a celebration than a "shower" I'm not that fussed on presents, am fortunate enough not to "need" them. Maybe I could put "you presence is present enough" on the invite, as some people do for weddings, and that way both men and women could come.
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    All I really want is a party, lol, with a cake, and flowers, and decorations, in my own home. and I would want to choose my own, haha. I'm quite happy to throw "a non-shower" and not get a single present, but just hang out with my friends both male and female before the baby comes in a celebratory way. So I guess my new question would be, how would I phrase that on a invite with out it sounding like I want to be "showered" with presents?
  • Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    edited June 2015
    Okay, so I'm just going to go with the throw a bbq /party idea, in truth I don't want presents, I don't feel "entitled " to them, but I do really want a chance to celebrate with friends. So would you just put "come celebrate with us before the baby comes" or something like that? I don't know how to phrase it.

Edited, as I reread it and it sounded defensive and grumpy... Lol... I'm not grumpy, you answered my question honestly :)
  • Options
    ashhsa said:
    Okay, so I'm just going to go with the throw a bbq /party idea, in truth I don't want presents, I don't feel "entitled " to them, but I do really want a chance to celebrate with friends. So would you just put "come celebrate with us before the baby comes" or something like that? I don't know how to phrase it. Edited, as I reread it and it sounded defensive and grumpy... Lol... I'm not grumpy, you answered my question honestly :)
    Don't mention the baby at all. Just make it a normal invite to a regular party/get together.