Terrified of thyroid results- Hashimoto's — The Bump
January 2016 Moms

Terrified of thyroid results- Hashimoto's

I had my initial bloodwork done this morning. Everything came back fine except for my TSH level. Six weeks ago my level was at 1.070mIU/L. Today it's at 5.24. I immediately called both my obgyn and endo to see what I need to do. My obgyn wants me to bump up to 200mcg synthroid (currently taking 175mcg). I'm just waiting to hear from my endo regarding meds. I know it's normal for thyroid to fluctuate but that doesn't make it any less scary!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - FiGB
Married DH 11/15/08
Formerly MissMheMhe

Re: Terrified of thyroid results- Hashimoto's

• There are a few mommies on here in the same boat as you, there have been one or two threads already. No less scary is right, but luckily we are all monitored and can control it. :). I'm in my 4th pregnancy and have had 3 healthy happy babies so far :). My tip for you is to take your meds at night before bed, that helped me stay regulated. I am just ravenous in the morning and can't wait an hour after I take my pill to eat :). Cheers to a healthy pregnancy for you!!!

• Thanks @catnipskma  I heard from my endo and he wants me to come in this week. He is definitely going to adjust my medicine. I had to ask my OB to add the TSH to my bloodwork...imagine if I hadn't!!
    As for the meds, I take them in the morning at 5:30. I have an alarm go off for DH. I don't get up until 6:30 so it works for me.
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
    catnipskma
  • I have Hashimotos too and my levels go all over the place during pregnancy. Luckily all it takes is an adjustment of meds.
    Married the love of my life: 11/12/2009
    1st BFP ever : 11/19/2014
    1/9/2015 our miracle baby was welcomed in heaven.
    BFP #2 : 4/21/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Mom2Angel518
  • I was just told today that my thyroid is low and start meds tomorrow. I'm a little freaked out, but comforted that there are so many of us.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
    catnipskma
  • In the same boat... since I have hashi's too my levels strangely normalized through my first and second pregnancies. After I had my second my levels went all over the place. Luckily they leveled out and my levels haven't changed yet, but I was afraid for a while there that it would have affected my fertility and I wouldn't even get pregnant.
  • Just had another appointment and blood work...my TSH was 6.5 ... Getting bumped up to 125 mcg's now.... Sigh, it never ends :D. But so glad they are watching it!!!

• Thanks ladies. I am realizing more and more just how normal it is for the levels to fluctuate. I have never been this high since my diagnosis. Previously, I was off the charts!! I'll go in to see my endo this week and I am going to beg my OB to let me come in at least for a scan so I can put my nerves at peace!
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
    catnipskma
  • nanampnanamp member
    250 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I have Hashimoto's as well. Haven't heard yet whether I will be put on something.
  • tuitwotuitwo member
    100 Love Its 100 Comments First Answer Name Dropper
    I have Hashimoto's. With my last pregnancy my TSH actually went down (to 0.06 at one point!). It's very normal for your levels to fluctuate during (and after) pregnancy.

While your TSH is outside the "normal" range, it isn't by much. Hopefully your new dose gets you where you need to be.
  • I'm on Levothyroxine for the first time as the endo said it could reduce MC risk with autoimmune thyroid disease. I have antibodies for Graves and Hashimotos. My TSH is normal but it's still recommended. I'm getting my levels checked this week. Best wishes.

<AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>

MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    BFP 4/29/15
  • pilarg18pilarg18 member
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2015
    I have Graves too (radioiodine in Jan 13, thyroid ablation in Oct 13, on synthroid since the surgery), just had my bloodwork done and TSH was well within normal range but my TSHR-Ab and TSI were both elevated. OB and internet scared the h--- out of me, endo calmed me down somewhat. Anyone else have elevated antibody count and delivered healthy baby in the past? I could really benefit from hearing some happy birth stories...
  • My antibody count is always high. Endo isn't worried about that. I called and got an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I called my OB's office and was told that they understand why I want an ultrasound but he really doesn't think it's necessary. He said to see my endo then go from there. He will do one if I really, really want, but he would really like me to wait until my appointment on the 29th. We'll see what tomorrow brings!
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • I had my son who came exactly on my due date with no thyroid meds or treatment in 2013. Since I have autoimmune thyroid disease, I've had the antibodies all along. I didn't know it at the time, though. It was a textbook easy pregnancy and he's a very healthy and strong two year old.@pilarg18

<AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>

MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    BFP 4/29/15
  • Endo increased my medication from 175 to 200mcg. He is quite confident this will correct my levels. Usually he wants my levels to be close to 1 but he said he would be happy with 2.5. FX the meds work over the next few weeks! Blood draw on July 13.
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Thanks for posting this! Getting my bloods done this week. I'm very symptomatic and sensitive with my Hashis and I have an odd goiter on right lobe and left lobe is almost non existent. I'm on a small dose of t3, and 75 of levothyroxine. Will hope my levels are doing ok. Before pregnancy we had them down to 1.0-something and I felt great, so we'll see!
  • bo17bo17 member
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    I have had two miscarriages and my mom has Graves' disease and my sister hashimoto. They have always tested my thyroid when not pregnant, and now this 3rd pregnancy (first under care of a reproductive endocrinologist) the dr discovered my levels has skyrocketed. I am also now on synthroid. I don't really know what the numbers mean but she wants my levels at 2.5 and 2 weeks ago they were at 5.4. As of Monday this week it's at 3.1. They seemed happy it's going down. I had no idea this could be such a problem. I am so thankful this was caught and really hoping we don't miscarry again. We had tried for 11 months to then get pregnant 3 cycles in a row. Hoping 3rd time is our charm!
  • I was diagnosed with hashimotos almost a year ago but never put on medication. My last blood test came back within the normal range. What would I look for symptom wise if my levels start to go haywire ? Like excessive fatigue ??
    Thanks !
  • I was diagnosed with hashimoto disease after a miscarriage 5 yrs ago. My TSH was 14 and I felt horrible. Finally got the levels back around 1. The same day I found out I was pregnant I also found out my TSH was 8. So they upped my levothyroxine to 175mcg. I am waiting to hear what my levels are now. I also has multiple sclerosis. So I am always tired. Hoping and praying this baby keeps thriving and is healthy.
  • nanampnanamp member
    Are any of you being prescribed anything? My endocrinologist just put me on synthroid. The whole taking it on an empty stomach is not working so great for me...I get really nauseated on an empty stomach.

• nanamp said:
    Are any of you being prescribed anything? My endocrinologist just put me on synthroid. The whole taking it on an empty stomach is not working so great for me...I get really nauseated on an empty stomach.
    I've been on Synthroid for about 6 years. 175mcg. I was just bumped up to 200mcg. What I have found to work is taking it really early in the morning and going back to sleep. I have an alarm set for 5am for my meds, and again at 6:30am to get up for the day. 
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • MMLmeow said:

nanamp said:

I've been on Synthroid for about 6 years. 175mcg. I was just bumped up to 200mcg. What I have found to work is taking it really early in the morning and going back to sleep. I have an alarm set for 5am for my meds, and again at 6:30am to get up for the day. 

Yep, this is what I've been doing too. Only problem is, some mornings I wake up and can't remember taking it in my half asleep state! I think once the nausea subsides I'll start taking it right when I wake up. I'm on 125mcg to start, and I'll have my levels checked again at my next appt.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Is anyone familiar with the free T4 levels and pregnancy?
  • nanampnanamp member
    Thanks for the tip!