September 2015 Moms
Options

GD test- Am I the only weirdo...

..who thought the diabetes test drink was really yummy??? Ive only heard people say how disgusting it is, so it made me laugh: major sugar-head status confirmed!!

I was hoping that wasn't a sign that I was going to fail, but all is good!

Re: GD test- Am I the only weirdo...

• Options
    I didn't think it was gross, just a little to much to drink so fast? Mine tasted exactly like a melted lime freezie pop!
  • Options
    I don't think it's really yummy but I don't think it's terrible either. Just tastes like orange Kool-Aid to me :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't do it yet this time, but I didn't think it was so bad last time. And I had to do both, and the second one is crazy more concentrated!!
    This time I'm using a midwife and I just have to eat 18 starburst jelly beans an hour before my appointment. The question is, how do I stop at 18? ;);)
  • Options
    Hahaha I love that this exists! Everything in pregnancy seems so divided, I thought it was really weird that I hadn't ever heard a single positive thing about that drink. I'll have to come back and actually post something more valid later, I don't go in for another two weeks.
  • Options
    irenejeanirenejean member
    edited June 2015
    I like mine too! I got the lemon-lime flavored one, and I thought it was tasty. Apparently baby did too, I saw my OB during the 1 hour wait and he wouldn't sit still for the doppler :)

Edited to add, I was also worried about not passing, but I passed!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love candy and sugary drinks but that specific drink was soooo icky to me. I got the orange one and it made me so sick lol I was nauseated the whole hour waiting for them to draw my blood.
  • Options
    I downed that orange flavored goodness. It tasted like almost flat fanta. Considering that I've only had sips of pop before that so it felt soooo good going down.

I also wondered if something was wrong with me, but I too passed.
  • Options
    @barrelocarol !! That made me giggle! You're hilarious. I too enjoyed it. I think it's because we're so used to downing water, that any small change is welcome. @slp213psu -you.lucky.ducky. who would have thunk..."oh yeah, just eat a whole bunch of these awesome candies before you come in. It's fine" mmmm... I'm totally buying Starburst on the way to work today :D
  • Options
    I had a hard time drinking it so fast.  I don't drink anything fast...I'm a sipper.  But the flavor wasn't too terrible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was pleasantly surpised by mine too, tasted just like an orange Gatorade
  • Options
    It's so great to hear something positive about a test. I worked myself into a tizzy because of this test - thinking it was going to taste SO bad, I'd get sick or headachy, pass out etc. But I too found the drink unoffensive (maybe even slightly good) and wasn't feeling yucky at all. I realized that I need to share more of the pleasant moments than the not so pleasant. Pregnancy isn't a long enough experience to be miserable ALL the time. :)
  • Options
    I'm having mine on tuesday and not really looking forward to it. You ladies are making me hopeful.
  • Options
    To me it tasted like slushie syrup.... If only I would have had some crushed ice...
  • Options
    I thought it was disgusting. It was flat, super sugary and orange flavored. And not very cold. I felt horrible the rest of the day, I almost fainted driving home!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    It tastes like the soda without the carbonation. Not entirely disgusting but not the greatest thing ever. I think the worse part is that icky feeling in my tummy after chugging it.

Haven't done glucose test yet and not sure how we are doing it, if we do. I've done a breakfast glucose test before. I had to do an exact amount of toast, jelly, butter, juice, etc. one pregnancy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I dislike it, but it's not awful. It gives me a terrible sore throat though which doesn't help my opinion.
  • Options
    Nope don't like it. I haven't done it with this pregnancy yet, but with my last it wasn't as bad as it was with my first 11 years ago.
  • Options
    I went into it expecting the worst from everything I've heard, but chugged it down like it was a bottle of Sprite, which is exactly what it tasted like. I thought it was pretty tasty too (and I don't even like pop!). I didn't like feeling a bit dizzy afterward, but it was super easy to chug down!
  • Options
    With DD1 I got really nauseated but I did it this morning and it wasn't as bad as I remember. Didn't taste too bad and I didn't have a problem drinking it quickly. But I fasted before it and the sound of the blood tubes filling made me queasy today lol
  • Options
    I couldn't have lunch ahead of time so when I got to the office, I gulped it down! Still waiting on results (just did it yesterday), but I agree with the PP who said the baby loved it too; he was going nuts during my ultrasound after I finished it!
  • Options
    Blah I just chugged mine and am waiting my hour now. I don't like it or the way it makes me feel, but it's not the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Baby loves it! He's going nuts on his sugar rush!
  • Options
    To all of you Moms to be,
    I did days and days of research, beside my husband is a doctor, cause it's my first baby and I wanna do everything a right way !!!!
    I found out from several moms and web pages that Glucose drink they give you in your OB office is pure 100% unnatural sugar +chemicals !
    Which is not healthy to you neither your baby.some believe it is actually dangerous to a baby !
    I am whole my pregnancy eating healthy, organic food,working out daily ....why would I now put in my body and body of my baby something so awful ? I will not allow to get in my body and baby this disgusting unhealthy drink.
    I am scheduled for next week Tuesday to do that test,but I am ready to discuss with my Dr. and either refuse to have a test done, which you have rights to do. Or discuss with him if I can drink instead 16 oz of fresh squeezed OJ which is a alternative way healthier way of doing it. Also other alternative is to buy in store a finger pricks test and do a testing taut way.
    But I am for sure refusing with my husband to drink this disgusting unhealthy dangerous liquid they give to every patient !
    It's like drinking 100% poison .
    You don't have to do it. Discuss with your OB alternatives. There are alternative , healthy alternatives !!!!
    Good luck .
  • Options
    I haven't had mine yet but I'm going in to have it done on Monday. I'm hoping they give me a choice on what flavor I want because I prefer fruit punch over orange, but I'll be able to tolerate it either way I'm sure.
    Anniversary
    TTC #1 Since April 2014
    Me: 27 | DH: 31
    08/2006 - Laparoscopy/Stage 1 Endo
    10/2014 - Bloodwork normal, HSG all clear
    10/2014 - DH's SA 15mil/mL, 35% motility, 6% morphology
    BFP #1: 12/29/14 | EDD: 9/9/15

• Options
    Ha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! It tasted like very sweet Hawaiin punch to me! I liked it. :))
  • Options
    Orange! Gross. The only flavor besides fruit punch that I hate! I always give my orange fruit snacks away to people. Why did mine have to be orange!?!? So disgusting.
  • Options
    JMMcNultyJMMcNulty member
    edited June 2015
    The one I had this time was flat and disgusting and orange flavoured. I had the carbonated one 10 years ago and it tasted yummy!
  • Options
    Mine was like flat Orange Crush. I was prepped for total disgustingness so I was happy it wasn't hard to choke down! (With 20 seconds to spare!!!!)
  • Options

I LOVED mine and was really worried that mean I would fail, as well! Look at how creepy I look while I'm staring at my Fruit Punch.

Lol, you're so funny! That's just how I felt with my fruit punch. I would not have been a happy camper with orange though, that's one flavor I can't get behind.
  • Options
    I had the orange and didn't mind it at all! I was expecting it to be pretty nasty, from what I've heard.
    I've definitely chugged way worse in my day ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had orange and it tasted fine to me. It was so cold that I started to get a brain freeze. My dr told me to eat something 1-2 hrs before the test so I wouldn't get nauseous and it worked. Oh and I passed!
  • Options

To all of you Moms to be,
    I did days and days of research, beside my husband is a doctor, cause it's my first baby and I wanna do everything a right way !!!!
    I found out from several moms and web pages that Glucose drink they give you in your OB office is pure 100% unnatural sugar +chemicals !
    Which is not healthy to you neither your baby.some believe it is actually dangerous to a baby !
    I am whole my pregnancy eating healthy, organic food,working out daily ....why would I now put in my body and body of my baby something so awful ? I will not allow to get in my body and baby this disgusting unhealthy drink.
    I am scheduled for next week Tuesday to do that test,but I am ready to discuss with my Dr. and either refuse to have a test done, which you have rights to do. Or discuss with him if I can drink instead 16 oz of fresh squeezed OJ which is a alternative way healthier way of doing it. Also other alternative is to buy in store a finger pricks test and do a testing taut way.
    But I am for sure refusing with my husband to drink this disgusting unhealthy dangerous liquid they give to every patient !
    You don't have to do it. Discuss with your OB alternatives. There are alternative , healthy alternatives !!!!
    Good luck .

Let's not exaggerate. It's not like drinking poison. It's fine you decided to refuse it but you don't need to scare anyone.
    Well said @Mufflerlove =D>
  • Options

I LOVED mine and was really worried that mean I would fail, as well! Look at how creepy I look while I'm staring at my Fruit Punch.

Carol, you are adorable! Our bazza!
    Bazza just made me hormonally warm and loved feeling and really wishing we all lived near each other!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I had the orange kind. The lady told me that it was carbonated and I was expecting something similar to soda, but it wasn't like that. It wasn't bad at all. Luckily, I passed.
  • Options
    I had the Orange, didn't have any other options. I found the taste was fine but it was burning my throat trying to chug it down. Still haven't heard if I passed, fingers crossed !
  • Options
    Read the ingredients then! I am not here to scare anyone, just inform everyone.
  • Options
    barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited June 2015
    @andrea7782 Do you have alternatives to the glucose drink?

Edited - Apologies bc I re-read your post and saw that you mentioned orange juice.

I love @WDDCH 's midwife's idea!!!
  • Options

Hrmmm...I think drinking Windex is like drinking 100% poison....but ya know, my husband's no doctor, soooo.... thanks for the chuckle, though. =D>