June 2015 Moms

Labor Fears

So I think I am starting to go into labor (or at least close to it) and am really freaking out. I am crying because I am so scared. Not about having a baby but the actual labor part. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to calm down or words of comfort? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is petrified about giving birth so I was hoping we all benefit from this.

P.S. It could totally not be the real deal right now, but I'm still scared out of my mind. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Labor Fears

• Don't be scared mama. If it helps I'll be praying for you. I was terrified with DD. Drugs help ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Distraction. Breathing.
    DH can help distract you.
    Try to have positive thoughts and just don't LET your mind wander to the negative.
  • KreslaKresla member
    Go for a walk, watch you favorite movie, have DH order in your favorite food, listen to music, take a shower...

As far as the fear, I have it too. I just focus on the end result. I'm not in labor yet but when I think about it, I imagine my baby in arms in my awesome nursery or I think about my DH holding baby. Just envision the end result.
  • Thanks guys. I will keep all of this advice in mind and hopefully it will help. I'm starting to calm down a little already.

• I had a very challenging & excruciatingly painful labor on Monday. All I can suggest is remember your breathing techniques. Know that the pain and discomfort is temporary. As soon as you push that baby out, there is a HUGE sense of relief and emotion overcomes you. It's amazing. (I thought everyone was full of shit when they told me about it).

Focus on the end reward -- your beautiful baby. Good luck sweetheart.
  • klkonwi said:

Distraction. Breathing.
    DH can help distract you.
    Try to have positive thoughts and just don't LET your mind wander to the negative.

This. Be *stubborn* about keeping your mind away from fear. "Damnit! I'm not gonna! Eff you, negative energy!"
  • Someone posted this link to positive birth affirmations a while ago and I saved it. They are wonderful for calming and encouraging- I printed them out.

https://www.trustbreathebirth.com.au/images/files/birthaffirmations.pdf
  • You can do this! I'm excited for you. I'm waiting around to go into labor hoping I don't have to be induced. Also I found a birthing hypnotism MP3 download on Amazon that was just a few dollars. It might help calm you too. :-)