June 2015 Moms

GBS positive support group

I know we have had some threads on this but I wanted to start one for us ladies dealing with this and need a little support. I know it's "not a huge deal" but my anxiety is running loose and I would love to have a little check in with the other ladies in this boat! As more of us get our results back it might be a useful thread!

Re: GBS positive support group

• ElRubyElRuby member
    @Westypet saw your weekly appt comment and thought you might like it over here :)
  • Loading the player...
  • ElRubyElRuby member

Sorry I am more a lurker on here I was more active in first trimester early second trimester. I am currently in hospital being induced and am positive for strep b all they do if your not allergic to penesilin your hooked up to an iv drip while in labour. They switch out the bag every 4 hours. Baby will be well taken care of :)

Lots of luck with your labor!
  • Thanks for making this thread! I have felt super anxious about birth ever since my GBS test came back positive. I worry about things like what if I don't get to the hospital on time to get antibiotics or what if my water breaks and it's just a slow leak, so I don't notice until it's too late and my baby gets infected? Like you said, it's "not a big deal" and I'm probably all worried for no reason... But I can't help it!
  • I got my results back yesterday and turned out GBS+. I have been anxious since finding out as well. I think I have explained this on other threads but I have horrible allergies to most common antibiotics so this has increased the anxiety factor for me with getting positive results. Apparently, I can only receive the last line antibiotic treatment, vancomycin, when I go in to deliver. I have taken this before with no issues so I am not worried about having a reaction to it. My worry though is that vancomycin isn't the most effective treatment for GBS (vanco is often a last resort antibiotic for people like me that are allergic to all other options) and what if for some freak reason it doesn't work. 

Add to that worry the fact that we are an hour away from the hospital without traffic. Like PPs have said, what if we don't make it there in time....

I am trying not to get too stressed about it and my DH and I have discussed the adjusted "game plan" to account for the antibiotics so that has helped some. 

I am sure we will all be just fine when it all goes down :) I appreciate the support thread though for a place to discuss these things!

• ElRubyElRuby member
    mccall35 said:

GBS positive here too! I wasn't with DS, however I was one of the lucky "slow leak" water breakers. If it makes you feel better, even though it was slow, I still knew it was my water and was at the hospital in pllllllenty of time!

Good luck everyone :)

I wasn't with DS either so I sort of freaked when I found out I was this time.... I am feeling better reading other's results and experiences and seeing this is something that many others have to deal with.
  • My mum had GBS with me that was untreated (unsure why) and I had no complications after birth. I was monitored for 24 hours I believe but was totally fine. 2 of my girlfriends have also had this without treatment (no time) and had healthy children.

A friend of mine tested negative, ended up having it at the time of birth and bub got sick was in special care for 4 days, kind of glad I have tested positive so at least we know what and how to deal with all possibilities rather than thinking your in the clear and actually not being okay.
  • Sammy KSammy K member
    I was positive with DS and labor was too fast for antibiotics. He was fine. I haven't gotten results this time, but I'm almost hoping I am positive because that will increase my chance of getting an early induction given my history of fast labor. The hospital has been really busy lately and my OB has had some problems getting early inductions scheduled. The down side is that I would have to be at the hospital to get the antibiotics before they would even start the induction.
  • Thanks @kaila8! That helps a lot actually :)

• ElRubyElRuby member
    I feel dirty thinking about having this even though I know that it has nothing to do with cleanliness... I am worried it's going to trigger some OCD reaction ... Hoping that once baby is here all these fears fade away.
  • I am also GBS positive this time and wasn't with DD plus I'm allergic to penicillin so I had a mild freak out when I found out. I talked to my dr about getting to the hospital in time and she told me that since I'm only 1cm dilated I can wait till my contractions are 5-7 mins apart and have been consistent for over an hour and I would still have plenty of time for antibiotics. She said as I dilate more week to week they can change the time recommendation. Having something concrete like this really helped so that I know what to look for. Honestly I feel like I'll probably have to be induced with this LO like I was with DD which would give me plenty of time for antibiotics but since every pregnancy is different who knows! Thanks for starting this thread it's nice to have a place to share this common experience/worry!
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    Are any of you trying natural remedies? I put apple cider vinegar in the bath a few times but I think it's just calming my mind and not really changing my body chemistry.
  • UGH I'm positive again..... SHOOT!  I will say, everyone has a different reaction to the antibiotics, but I DID have PAIN without diluting the solution... I mean I felt like my arm got run over by a truck!  ASK TO HAVE IT DILUTED WITH SALINE!!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sammy KSammy K member
    I've taken probiotics this whole pregnancy, which I didn't with DS. I'll get results next week and be sure to let you know. Not that it's a guarantee.
  • I was tested for GBS last week at my 36 week apt. Today I went for my 37 week apt and they had not received the results back. The doctor said usually it doesn't take that long for results so if I am positive it may be that they are testing which antibiotics to use. I am allergic to Keflex, but not penicillin. She said if nobody calls me, then I am ok. So now I am kind of just sitting around wondering what the deal is. I don't really know anything about GBS but just read up on it and am anxious to know the results.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby #1 EDD 6/19/15

Married to my best friend since 9/8/13

• ElRuby said:

@Westypet saw your weekly appt comment and thought you might like it over here :)

Thanks, honey! I'm jumping on in!
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    Westypet said:

ElRuby said:

I feel dirty thinking about having this even though I know that it has nothing to do with cleanliness... I am worried it's going to trigger some OCD reaction ... Hoping that once baby is here all these fears fade away.

Yes!!! I feel like I have a dirty, dirty vagina.

I know right?! I just can't wrap my head around it...I just want it to go away!!!
  • mindaamindaa member
    Ruby said:
    Yes!!! I feel like I have a dirty, dirty vagina.
    I know right?! I just can't wrap my head around it...I just want it to go away!!!

Ditto. Because today, unfortunately, I actually read an article that listed some risk factors that didn't make me feel any better. :(
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Thank you for starting this thread! @ElRuby.

@mccall35 your story has made me feel so much better! My fear has been that I won't make it to the hospital in time because I won't notice a leak. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    ♥  ♥  Mommy-To-Be to Baby #1 ♥  ♥ 
  • I am gbs positive too however allergic to most of the antibiotics that are first second and third line of defence (I would rather not have an anaphylactic reaction!). They are running and additional culture and sensitivities but MIGHT be able to take clindamycin so crossing my fingers.
  • I'm joining the gbs + club. Just found out yesterday. The way the ob explained it to me is its a bacteria naturally found in the vagina and everyone has it but those who are positive just have too much of that bacteria. Is that correct.
  • ElRubyElRuby member

I'm joining the gbs + club. Just found out yesterday. The way the ob explained it to me is its a bacteria naturally found in the vagina and everyone has it but those who are positive just have too much of that bacteria. Is that correct.

Welcome to the club! Yes... That's pretty much the gist...
  • My run on sentences suck unicorn balls.
  • This is pretty much what my OB said verbatim. We just got our positive test today and I've been trying not to google too much...
  • I just found out Tuesday that I'm GBS + as well. Came home and read up on it and now I'm so worried. Dr. Told me that as long as I receive the antibiotics the baby will have a less than 1% chance of getting it. But that percent still scares me because of what I have read. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one in this situation. We all just have to hang in there together!
  • I feel a little better today after my appt. because I most likely will be going in for an induction at 40+4 which means I'll have plenty of time to get the needed antibiotics which was my biggest worry!
  • To dilute or not to dilute with saline...

Just read on the induction thread that a woman wasn't allowed to dilute her pencillin with saline, which is supposed to lessen the pain?

Which is it? Allowed to dilute the medicine or no?
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited June 2015
    Ours comes diluted...... Usually use ampicillin and it's 100cc bags. I'm so confused on why it wouldn't.
  • Found this thread, after I had posted on a different thread. So I'll just copy and paste it here...

I had the GBS test done last Monday. I had my weekly appointment today and Dr said I tested positive. I'm scared to think something is going to happen to my baby if I don't get to the hospital in time to get the antibiotics. I'm just freaking out ever since she told me I was positive. What if the baby doesn't get the infection during labor, but develops it in the future... I've been reading all the side effects if we don't receive the antibiotics... Should I worry? :-< :-S
  • ElRubyElRuby member

Found this thread, after I had posted on a different thread. So I'll just copy and paste it here...

I had the GBS test done last Monday. I had my weekly appointment today and Dr said I tested positive. I'm scared to think something is going to happen to my baby if I don't get to the hospital in time to get the antibiotics. I'm just freaking out ever since she told me I was positive. What if the baby doesn't get the infection during labor, but develops it in the future... I've been reading all the side effects if we don't receive the antibiotics... Should I worry? :-< :-S

I had three rounds of antibiotics due to a long labor but my doctor said they feel comfortable, based on research, after 1 hour (some studies are even pointing to 30 minutes at being significantly effective). They do follow the 4 hour guideline as best practice but they said after an hour they feel good about it... Hope that helps ease your worries!
  • I actually tested positive for gbs in my urine, which made me automatically positive come labor because gbs in urine means u have a loooot of the bacteria! I had an extra dirty vagina lol They out me on antibiotics to get rid of it in my urine, which worked. I am worried now as I'm 40 weeks today and don't really want to be induced but am scared of the risks (doctor said she would hope baby would come sooner than later as my belly is getting pretty big and I'm pretty petite) I have had no signs of labor but am doing what I can! It's so hard but I think we can only wait to see what happens and plan accordingly. My doctor is also not worried at all about the gbs, says to come in at 4-1-1 and it should still give me plenty of time for antibiotics
  • Found out I was positive at last weeks visit and cried in the office and the way home. Yay hormones. I want to do the labor tub and the shower and I'm so worried this has messed it all up. I need to clarify this week when exactly I need to head to the hospital since I was planning on laboring mostly at home.