Toronto Babies

Any first time moms from York region?

Hi everyone! Just wondering if there are any YR moms out there? Thought this could be a good place to share thoughts/ideas whether its a good prenatal class or about YR Midwives or even local baby shows, freebies etc!

Re: Any first time moms from York region?

• Yes! Just moved to newmarket. I'm 8 weeks and 2 days. I registered for midwives of York region but was declined as they don't have anyone available for jan 2016. I told my doctor and she insisted that for my first child to go through a regular ob.
  • Oh really? How can they not have anyone for Jan? I applied but havent heard anything.. I'm only 6w 2d. Go for my first U/S June 8. Hopefully all goes well! Do you have an OB yet?
  • Loading the player...
  • elbouelbou member

cali1710 said:
    Oh really? How can they not have anyone for Jan? I applied but havent heard anything.. I'm only 6w 2d. Go for my first U/S June 8. Hopefully all goes well! Do you have an OB yet?

They may already be at capacity for Jan. In general, midwives tend to have smaller practices, and because continuity of care is so important to the way they do things, they do not take as many patients as an OB/GYN often can.

Also, sometimes if you are close to the border of where the midwives practice, you *might* be able to be seen at the neighbouring practice. Depending on where in York Region you live, you may be able to try one of the other midwife practices listed here:

https://www.cmo.on.ca/?page_id=722

Family Care Midwives or Markham Stouffville Midwives seem like a good place to start looking...again depending on where you live. (Also, that list is all the midwife practices in the GTA, so you have sift through to find the ones that will be closest to you.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just moved away from YR, I'll be delivering in Brampton, but my best friend had both her babies with the YR Midwives. They were amazing, but they are in really high demand. She said you basically have to call the day you pee on the stick. 
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • hollybear4hollybear4 member
    edited June 2015
    I used family care midwives because York region were full and they were great! I will never use an OB. I just had my LO in May, my first and using a midwife was the best experience. The only downfall to family care midwives is you have to deliver out of Mackenzie health (Richmond hill) so if the hospital is important to you then this might not be the way to go. But honestly I would choose midwife care over any hospital.
  • @hollybear4 what was the birthing environment at Mackenzie health like? I was born at that hospital 30+ years ago. Lol
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • @nickicb7 I had a great experience because I had a midwife. The nurses I encountered in postpartum care were very friendly and helpful. One of my friends works as a nurse in labour and delivery there but since I had a midwife, I didn't see any of the l&d nurses. The only thing is the hospital is old and tired looking if you care about that.
  • Couldn't have midwife due to high risk pregnancy. I am from Georgian and will have my baby at southlake
  • My niece and goddaughter were born at Southlake. My goddaughter with a midwife, my niece with an ob.
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • Having my baby at south lake due in a week
  • I'm in Keswick, 9w4d with baby #1.  It was a surprise since DH and I were starting the fertility process at Markham Stouville after 5 years of trying, but the funny thing is I was pregnant at that appointment just didn't know it.

I'm using an OB in Newmarket and delivering at South Lake :smile: 
    Pregnancy Ticker