Trouble TTC

Statistics? Letrozole and Trigger Shot Success

Hello all,
I was planning on starting progesterone to induce AF (followed by Letrozole and then the HCG Trigger Shot) BUT to my surprise AF showed up! So we have decided to give it one more month to see if we can conceive naturally. If not we plan to do this the end of this month(Progesterone->Letrozole->Ultrasound and Trigger Shot) I am just a little curious for those of you who have did this cycle , what the success statistics are. If you have been through this I'd like to get your feed back! I have Follicles BUT it seems they don't mature enough to release an egg. Sperm Specimen was good and my blood work was good. 

*How many rounds did you try(before success)?
*multiple Births?
*Side effects?

Married to My Best Friend
Mom to 2 Fur Babies (Great Danes)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Statistics? Letrozole and Trigger Shot Success

• Congrats on getting AF! :-)  Sounds like your body is trying to cooperate!  I can't give you real stats, especially since everybody has a different diagnosis.   I'm sure that you know that healthy couples have a 20% chance at success each cycle.

Anyway, I'll give you my 'golden-key-ized' fake stats... it seems like younger women who have anovulation issues tend to conceive fairly quickly, like within 3 months of treatment.  This is just what I have noticed and has absolutely no scientific basis.   Either way, it sounds that you're now in the running so GL this cycle!

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Hey :) I was on that same treatment for 3 months, although I took the progesterone for 2 weeks after my trigger shot (never needed it before...if anything my cycles are short). I also ovulated on my own, but with immature follies. I had two good follies the first two months, and 3 the last one. I had little to nobside effects, which was great. Seems like in my case there are other issues which are preventing my lining from getting thick enough for anything to stick. I'm benched right now waiting for a hysteroscopy to hopefully fix whatever the problem is, but hoping to get back on that combo following the procedure given how well I responded.
    Good luck with this cycle!
  • Loading the player...
  • ***pregnancy warning***
    I did that protocol for a total of three rounds & I did one additional round of clomid with trigger. All combined with IUI. My successful round (5th IUI) was a combo of letrozole, gonal F & trigger. I am 19 weeks with twins. Best of luck to you & be patient. It may take time but will happen :)
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • I had to do 5 rounds of clomid the 5th round of clomid i had a ulrtasound to check my folicals gave myself the trigger shot on cycle day 15. Got pregnant the 1st time with trigger shot with timed intercourse. Im now 35 weeks pregnant with a very active baby girl! Goodluck
  • Thank you ladies!! Congrats to you all also! This helps:)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't had success yet, so I can't answer your main question.  I've had side effects, though!

Two cycles with letrozole/femara, and both times, after a couple days, all my joints ached.  This is a rare side effect, but it gets me.  Knees, feet, hands, wrists, hips-- ow ow ow.  Not excruciating, but constant, low level pain.

One of these cycles, I used the trigger shot.  It mimics pregnancy symptoms-- hello nausea!  I tend to be really sensitive to nausea, but... that's not actually very comforting.  Investing in saltines and ginger candies now.

Progesterone after the IUI for two cycles.  Wild dreams, fatigue during the day, insomnia.  I already get insomnia (and quit my sleeping pills in January), so again, it maybe just made something worse that already existed for me.  

I also feel kind of itchy on progesterone.  I don't think it's an allergic reaction, but maybe more a reaction to the tingly development of acne everywhere (face, back, chest).  And yeah, acne.  I switched to gentler soap, and that helped.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Any more success stories from Letrozole and Ovidrel Trigger? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @KidShrink I sent you a private message for a question based on your earlier comment in this post

I'm very interested in reading more responses to this post. My doctor told me I would have a 15-20% chance on injectables (with no IUI since he doesn't think we will need it). If I did get pregnant, he said it would be 70% chance of a singleton, 25% chance of twins and 5% chance of more than twins. Eeek that 5% makes me nervous!! I'm not really looking to be the next TLC special!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • @riveridgional  good luck! i had my trigger on july 22... i am going to test on friday ... i think lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks! I took the month off for my mental sanity. Not sure how much it's helping but at least I'm no longer spontaneously crying at random times. I just read an article today on how Jon and Kate got their 6, and I'm really starting to worry about multiples! I don't know why I do these things to myself! I'll carry your well wishes with me into September! I hope you get your BFP on Friday!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

• Wait, I just did the math. You are strong to hold out until Friday! Good for you!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14

• @BlissfulWifey sorry for the multiple comments in a row. How long did you stim for and how many mature follies did you have at trigger?
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14

• BlissfulWifeyBlissfulWifey member
    edited August 2015
    @BlissfulWifey sorry for the multiple comments in a row. How long did you stim for and how many mature follies did you have at trigger?
    not sure what stim means? but We have been trying since September and after going to the Dr and having a sonogram they found i have PCOS. so i just did my first round of progestertone followed with Letrozol then i went in for the sonogram and i had two good follies behind a follie that was past maturity size. ( i think my good ones were around 20?) so she did the trigger (ovidrel) and now im waiting. We went on a cruise last week so that has helped me pass 1/2 the time... now im just too scared to take a test in fear of seeing another BFN! I am going to take one either Friday or Saturday and make DH read the results.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • By stim, I meant how many days did you take the injections (stimulate your ovaries) for? It sounds like you have a pretty good chance, so good luck!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14

• @riveridgional I only had one round of the HCG trigger at 10,000 units :) 

Thank you :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So, I was confused. I thought Letrozole was an injectable, but I googled it and see it is the same as Femera. You can ignore my prior comments. Sorry!!!!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14

• @riveridgional   thats ok ;) im new to all of this so i honestly dont know the half of what im talking about lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm currently on 2.5mg Femara CD3-7 and just had my HCG (Pregnyl) trigger shot yesterday on CD17.  My u/s revealed the largest follie at 24mm.  I could see two other follies onscreen but the 24mm follie was the most dominant.  It's my first round on this regimen with a trigger shot.  I did the 2.5mg of Femara alone from Jan 2015-March2015 but it didn't work.  I've been diagnosed with PCOS since 2010 and have been on 500mg of Metformin twice daily.  I had one pregnancy that ended in a cervical ectopic pregnancy in August 2011 (that pregnancy I wasn't on any fertility drugs except for Metformin).  Good luck and baby dust to all!
  • The last cycle was unsuccessful as AF showed up on on 9/9.  I did another round of 2.5mg of Femara/Letrozole CD3-7 and Pregnyl trigger shot on CD13 when my u/s revealed the largest follie at 24.6mm on the left ovary.  My right ovary revealed two follies at 14 and 15mm.  I'm currently on my tww.  My BBT readings have remained high so far.  I'm hopeful and keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm trying my best to relax, not stress out and resisting the urge to test early.  Anyone else out there going through the same/similar regimen?  Thanks for reading and good luck!

• @apabalatesf when do you end your TWW? How are you feeling? I am doing femara/injects this month and am currently in cycle day 3. We did the last two cycles with femara but no BFP. Good luck to you! Try not to test early...the 2ww is brutal but it's worth it!
    Married to DH since 8/15
    TTC since 5/15
    PCOS, 35+, diagnosed with pre-diabetes
    TI for 4 cycles: 1 round of femara; 2 rounds femara/ injectables: all ended in BFN. 
    3 IUI Cycles: letrozole/Follistim with HCG Trigger,all resulted in BFN.
    FET #1: Baseline appt 4/28/16, Gonal-F/Menopur stims, Centrotide 5/4/16, ER 5/11/16; 6/8/16 ET, BFN
    FET #2: Baseline appt 6/22/16, Estrace/PIO shots: 7/12/16 ET, 1st beta 7/21/16: 83 BFP, 2nd beta 7/23/16: 315. 1st U/S: 8/4/16 empty sac.  2nd U/S: 8/10/16 yolk sac appeared, everything stopped growing. Office D&C: 8/11/16, MC.
    FET #3: Baseline appt 12/28/16, Estrace/PIO shots: 1/17/17 ET, 1st beta 1/27/17: 146 BFP, 2nd beta 1/29/17: 336, 1st U/S: 2/16/17, 2 healthy twin babies measuring 7w0d.  EDD: 10/5/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @emgem819 I took a digital PT on CD30 last Thursday, 10/8, and it was BFP.  I was feeling good leading up to my BFP despite having occasional tension headaches.  Unfortunately, I woke up yesterday bleeding. It's not heavy bleeding.  It started out with dark spotting then a steady medium flow. :(  

I'm trying my best not to panic but with everything I know and have read about, I suspect this is a chemical pregnancy. I called my doctor first thing this morning to schedule an appt.  I still have hope and will definitely try again but I might take a short break after this to regroup and focus on getting healthier if my doctor confirms my suspicions. It's so hard to be in between TTC, hoping, wishing, getting excited that you're expecting a baby, then grieving and then to start all over again.  I still have hope that it will one day happen. 

Good luck to you!  The TWW is hard but hang in there.  I'm right there with you.  

DX with PCOS 10/2010.  One cervical ectopic pregnancy 8/2011 @ 10 weeks (this was with 1000 mg Metformin alone)

• @apabalatesf I am so sorry you have to go through this.  I don't know enough about CP's to know if that's what you experienced, but I hope you can stay positive and not lose hope that it still might be implantation bleeding? Don't lose hope whatever you do...regrouping might help but just know that we're all going through similar situations and we're here for you!

I completely agree that it's such a hard process trying to get preganant, and wishing and hoping for that excitement of having a child, then failing to be able to conceive. Every time AF has come for me after a failed cycle, I get a little more sad, but I try to keep hopeful and remember the good things happening in my life that I'm thankful for.  It's tough for sure, but it's important to keep that glimmer of hope!
    Married to DH since 8/15
    TTC since 5/15
    PCOS, 35+, diagnosed with pre-diabetes
    TI for 4 cycles: 1 round of femara; 2 rounds femara/ injectables: all ended in BFN. 
    3 IUI Cycles: letrozole/Follistim with HCG Trigger,all resulted in BFN.
    FET #1: Baseline appt 4/28/16, Gonal-F/Menopur stims, Centrotide 5/4/16, ER 5/11/16; 6/8/16 ET, BFN
    FET #2: Baseline appt 6/22/16, Estrace/PIO shots: 7/12/16 ET, 1st beta 7/21/16: 83 BFP, 2nd beta 7/23/16: 315. 1st U/S: 8/4/16 empty sac.  2nd U/S: 8/10/16 yolk sac appeared, everything stopped growing. Office D&C: 8/11/16, MC.
    FET #3: Baseline appt 12/28/16, Estrace/PIO shots: 1/17/17 ET, 1st beta 1/27/17: 146 BFP, 2nd beta 1/29/17: 336, 1st U/S: 2/16/17, 2 healthy twin babies measuring 7w0d.  EDD: 10/5/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @emgem819Thank you.  It means a lot to me.  It really helps reaching out to other women with PCOS.  When I'm on these boards reading what other women with PCOS are going through, I don't feel alone because we can all relate to each other.  

I went to see my doctor yesterday.  She did an u/s but didn't see anything as the pregnancy is too early to see what's going on.  She sent me to do blood work and she called me this morning to say that my beta hcg readings were too low and confirmed that I'm having a chemical pregnancy and in the process of miscarrying.  :(

She didn't prevent me from trying again.  She expects me to ovulate again in about 2-3 weeks.  I told her that I will take a break from TTC for the next month.  I will try to focus on the positives. I now know it's possible for me to get pregnant on this combo of Femara, Metformin, and Pregnyl HCG trigger shot.  Good luck to you all!  I have hope for us all.  

Me, 39 and DH, 38.  DX with PCOS 10/2010.  Two angel babies. 
    One cervical ectopic pregnancy 8/2011 @ 10 weeks (1000 mg Metformin alone)
    Chemical pregnancy 10/2015 @ 4.5 weeks (Femara 2.5mg/Metformin 1500mg/Pregnyl trigger shot @ 10,000units)
  • I know this is an older board but I was wondering if someone is out there....

This is my first cycle trying Letrozole (2.5mg x 10 at once at bedtime around CD5?), followed by ultra sounds then Trigger Shot (HCG 10,000).

I have been through alot the past 15months of trying, last month (2nd cycle after surgery to unblock tubes) & they said I ovulated really good on my own but I didn't ovulate till cycle day 28, my cycle was 45 days long! 
    So this month we paid the money for them to monitor and control my cycle.

We are trying to go for twins, well that is if my body can ovulate 3 mature follicles before releasing. When I say trying, just means trying, I don't know if it will work out. But at the end of the day doctors don't know if I can do this again after achieving this pregnancy.

Anyways....

I was put on BC for 2 weeks, tomorrow I stop taking it, they expect me to bleed (they are mimicking my period) for 2 days then I take the Letrozole next Thursday, then the following Tuesday I go in every other day for an ultra sounds for them to monitor me, once we are happy with the follicles and their sizes, we will do the trigger shot.

She said there is a 25% chance of it working first time and if my body does make 3 good follicles I have a 15% chance of twins.

Has anyone done this route? Has it worked first time? Singleton or twins?
    Since I ovulated very well by myself last month (which I never ovulated before surgery ever), do you think it's possible for me to get 3 good size follicles?

TIA!