Breastfeeding
Options

Help With Thrush

ajs89ajs89 member
edited May 2015 in Breastfeeding
My baby is a little over 4 weeks. After excruciating pain basically since he has been born, I found out yesterday that baby and I have thrush. We are both taking nystatin and today I think I will try gentian violet. Any other suggestions? Also, the pain is really unbearable and even more so when I am breastfeeding. Did anyone have thrush and pump until the pain became manageable? I already have had issues with my supply and worried only pumping will make it worse!

Re: Help With Thrush

• Options
    I had this with LO #1. What helped clear his up, even better than Nystatin, was baking soda. I mixed 1 tsp. baking soda in 1 cup of water each day, and used a Q-tip to swab his mouth several times a day. Mine was harder to get rid of, but I also used a vinegar solution (mix white vinegar and water and swab your nipples). Also let them air dry. And if you can, get a good probiotic to help counteract the thrush. If you can nurse through the pain, it's better but I remember that being excruciating. If you decide to pump, make sure you boil all parts/bottles daily. Also, don't freeze any milk. It's fine to feed it to LO, but thrush can survive and then reoccur from the frozen milk.
  • Options
    You can definitely nurse through the symptoms of thrush, there is no reason not to, unless the pain is unbearable. Make sure you are also cleaning your bras, burp cloths, and both of your clothing in very hot water! You can get a reoccurring infection from a not so clean piece of clothing. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jtay85jtay85 member
    I would give pumping a try. This way you're not passing thrush back and forth to each other. I've heard of people having thrush for months because of that reason. I exclusively pump and my supply seems adequate for LO.
  • Options
    ajs89ajs89 member
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Jtay85, I am considering EPing, at least for the next few weeks. How often do you pump and how much do you get each session? My LO is 1 month and over 11lbs, so he needs about 28oz a day.
  • Options
    jtay85jtay85 member
    I pump every 2-3 hrs and get about 3oz total each session, but my LO is only 2 weeks old.
  • Options
    ajs89ajs89 member
    How long until you will do longer stretches of time?