January 2016 Moms
Options

Morning sickness? Help!

Hey guys! I am 7w4d pregnant with baby #1. I have a condition called emetophobia (fear of vomiting, are there any others here??) and for obvious reasons pregnancy came with a lot of fear. In the months leading up to my pregnancy I was doing MUCH better with my general anxiety regarding sickness and did not fret over the thought of possibly having morning sickness. This morning my husband woke me up before he went to work and said he felt nauseous and was not sure what was wrong, which is an emet's worst nightmare. He went on to work and I have checked in with him throughout the day and he has not had any "symptoms" (diarrhea, throwing up etc) to indicate a virus, so I think he is just having an off day, because he says he still doesn't feel great. Meanwhile, I had some tummy issues this morning that I knew were pregnancy related and then later felt better. Then this afternoon I suddenly had an excess of saliva and gagged like a crazy person in the parking lot at walmart! I did not actually throw up but I feel weird and have had hiccups and burping and gas and just feeling like a crazy person! Do you guys think I have a bug or does it sound pregnancy related? Anyone have this gagging and saliva issue? Excessive hiccups? I have a feeling it's all pregnancy related but the anxious worrywart in me makes me think it's odd that my husband felt weird this morning and then I feel weird this afternoon!

Re: Morning sickness? Help!

• Options
    MonaLSMonaLS member
    If I were you I'd carry a bottle of seltzer (flavored or regular) with you.  Sip it when you get that feeling. Hope the feeling goes away for you.  I try to just head it off.  Good luck. 
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you MonaLS, good advice! Glad it's not just me :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not just you. Check out the Daily Symptoms threads and you'll see tons of ladies talking about excess saliva and gagging. :-)

Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't throw up.
  • Options
    Thank god. I'm emetophobic as well. I haven't thrown up in years. And I think if I wasn't, I would have thrown up my now. I legit have a panic attack every time I get nauseous. My heart races, my hands sweat, and I start breathing really heavy to try and make it pass. I can't stand nausea or throwing up. I have no idea why I feel this way but it really makes things worse and harder for me. If I could just throw up I think it would make me feel better but I just hold it back and make things worse. So needless to say pregnancy has been super hard so far. I can handle everything else but the nausea is what gets me. And I totally get avoiding people who are throwing up at all costs. I can't be around anyone else who is throwing up. Yuck. Won't clean it up either.
    I just try and lay down when I feel sick. Sip on something that makes me feel better, juice, ginger ale, water. I try and eat every couple hours to keep the nausea away and I eat something before I get out of bed. And I lay in bed for a while before j actually get up.
  • Options
    babybluu said:
    Thank god. I'm emetophobic as well. I haven't thrown up in years. And I think if I wasn't, I would have thrown up my now. I legit have a panic attack every time I get nauseous. My heart races, my hands sweat, and I start breathing really heavy to try and make it pass. I can't stand nausea or throwing up. I have no idea why I feel this way but it really makes things worse and harder for me. If I could just throw up I think it would make me feel better but I just hold it back and make things worse. So needless to say pregnancy has been super hard so far. I can handle everything else but the nausea is what gets me. And I totally get avoiding people who are throwing up at all costs. I can't be around anyone else who is throwing up. Yuck. Won't clean it up either. I just try and lay down when I feel sick. Sip on something that makes me feel better, juice, ginger ale, water. I try and eat every couple hours to keep the nausea away and I eat something before I get out of bed. And I lay in bed for a while before j actually get up.
    we are soul sisters, I could have written almost those same words! Panic attacks out the wazoo!! I have found that ginger ale has actually made it worse, as does lemonade!! peppermint tea seems to be my current go-to to sip on. My emetophobic friend just had a baby last January and did not get sick the whole pregnancy so there's hope for us :)

Thanks everyone for the advice, input, and kind words :)