School-Aged Children
Options

Bedtime Traditions

How do you tuck in your kids now that they're older and don't need such an elaborate bedtime routine as they did when they were little?
High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Bedtime Traditions

• Options
    Change to pjs, I read a story sometimes, spread his blanket out for him and kiss&hug goodnight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kmcc14kmcc14 member
    We don't really "tuck in" any more.  They change into pjs, brush their teeth, give us hugs and kisses good night, and go to their rooms.  DH usually checks on them after about 15 minutes to make sure that they are in settled in bed.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I have a funny little saying that has developed over the years for each kid.  With my DD I say, "Goodnight, Lola" and she says, "Goodnight Mr. Hippy-potamus."  This was inspired by a funny scene from a Charlie & Lola book when she was little, and we've been saying it ever since.

My H makes up a different "nightlight" for my son every night.  After he leaves the room he says, "Say goodnight to the _____!" and the thing is always some kind of light or bright object.  It could be very mundane, like "Say goodnight to the porch light on the neighbor's house!" Or it could be very random, like "Say goodnight to the plasma in the core of the sun!"  We always wait to see what Dad's going to come up with each night.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    A lot of the same things as u guys. Books are always good! We also do family prayer time every night. Its great because it brings us all together! :-) Then tuck everyone in or for my 12 year old give her a quick hug, then I love you. ! Xoxo