Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding on each breast

How much should baby be breastfeeding on each breast. I know when we were still in hospital he would nurse for 15 on each breast, but since we've been home he's probably average about 8-9 on each breast feeding every 2-3 hours. My milk has come in and baby has regained his birth weight since leaving the hospital.

Re: Breastfeeding on each breast

• ldmwldmw member
    I've read that some babies take 5-10 minutes so I would say if he's gaining weight he's fine.
  • Keep a mentally tally of wet (8-10) and dirty diapers (2-3) for the day. Usually, that's a great indicator that your baby is getting enough milk. It sounds like he is catching onto nursing well and is more efficient at the breast, especially since milk is easier to get out then colostrum.

Just be aware of his poop turns yellow-ish that is often an indication that baby is getting too much watery foremilk and not the fatty hindmilk.

I also strongly suggest that you look up your local La Leche League group, the leaders are very resourceful, it's a great way to meet other moms and get more information.
  • Loading the player...

• Just be aware of his poop turns yellow-ish that is often an indication that baby is getting too much watery foremilk and not the fatty hindmilk.

According to everything I've read, and my pediatrician, yellowish poop is the norm. Usually compared to mustard due to color and seedy texture. I was told greenish is an indicator of too much foremilk.
  • Whoops! Thanks @TracyB4889 for correcting me!