Trouble TTC
Options

IUI: cancelled

anyone had something like this happen? I went in this morning with the expectation that I would receive my trigger shot for IUI tomorrow. Bad news. My follicle had now grown to 29mm and I'm told that indicates it turned to a cyst. Does this mean there's no egg there anymore? They had been waiting for my lining to thicken, it's still only 6mm. They said no IUI and I need to meet with the RE asap but they triggered me anyway and said inter course for 3 days just incase. My husband has issues with motility and morphology which was why we had moved to IUI. I'm getting very frusterated as I have only had one ovulatory cycle since this all started in December. I'm losing hope and feel like a failure.

Re: IUI: cancelled

• Options
    I'm so sorry that your cycle was cancelled!  HUGS And no, eggs don't just disappear.  There either is/was an an egg or not.

Your nurse is using bad and confusing terminology.   All follicles are cysts, and therefore can't "turn into cysts".   The only way to know if it's a good, viable cyst (with healthy egg in it) is to check your E2 (estrogen levels) etc.  If the follie hangs around after trigger then it is considered a 'bad' cyst or 'leftover follie'.  

29 mm is large but not unheard of and women have gotten pregnant with follies that size.   However, there are some theories are that follies can become 'too ripe'  meaning 'too large' and will resist fertilization.   I've read  that may be somewhere around 30mm.   They probably cancelled you because your follie would have grown past that by the next day.     I'm really sorry that you had an overacheiving follie... :-(

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    WaitingMay14WaitingMay14 member
    edited May 2015
    I too had my third and final iui cancelled pre med cycle. I had 6 cysts and the RE felt it was too risky as the can overstimulate and twist.also it's very difficult to distinguish at ultra sound what would be a cyst or a follie. Levels were fine my estrigol was in the 40 and progesterone was a 9 and fsh was a 8. I was so disappointed. Likely now moving to ivf.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @WaitingMay14 I'm sorry that your cycle got cancelled. :-(

• Options
    So just an update for anyone who's interested. As a rn I have access to up to date medical publications and did some research on my own in the 24 hours following my last appointment. I called the clinic first thing in the morning and wanted to further discuss my case with the nurse. They left it up to us about whether we wanted to go forward with IUI which the day before sounded like it had been taken off the table. My husband and I made the decision that we wanted to move forward with it so went in that morning. Turns out that my lab work from the day before showed I had started to ovulate on my own and when I spoke with the re post procedure he said that it wasn't a bad choice to go through with it but it just wasn't "optimal" conditions. Sp now two weeks of estrogen pills and progesterone gel and praying for success. Lesson learned to get all the information to make my own informed decision. I said toy husband that a bfn would be less disappointing when I at least felt that we gave it our best effort.
  • Options
     Good for you!!!   The best thing to learn in this infertility journey is that YOU are in charge.   Fertility clinics often make decisions that are too conservative because it's better for their own "stats" that they publish on websites.   It's about the almighty dollar: potential clients make their decisions based on those.

After I realized how much we were spending after my first medicated cycle, I did the same thing and required my actual numbers and test results.  I also kept a copy of all of my records.

Good luck with your IUI!

• Options

Good for you!!!   The best thing to learn in this infertility journey is that YOU are in charge.   Fertility clinics often make decisions that are too conservative because it's better for their own "stats" that they publish on websites.   It's about the almighty dollar: potential clients make their decisions based on those.

After I realized how much we were spending after my first medicated cycle, I did the same thing and required my actual numbers and test results.  I also kept a copy of all of my records.

Good luck with your IUI!

This! The more research I do the more power I feel that I have to be my own advocate. I also get a copy of all my bloodwork/ test results etc. I will question my doctors on numbers and findings. I have always had doctors respect me a lot more for doing so and I find the quality of information i get from appointments better (I also walk in with a list of questions so I know I've covered everything).