Breastfeeding

How much do you produce?

FTM here and I'm just curious how much everyone produces? I don't know what the "normal" average amount is & just curious if I'm keeping up or on the lower end. Thanks!

Re: How much do you produce?

• ldmwldmw member
    I have low supply. Produce about 300ml a day. I've read that a full supply is anywhere between 750-1000ml. I'm 3wpp
  • I consider myself a low producer, I can pump between 20-25 oz a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • TracyB4889TracyB4889 member
    edited May 2015
    Edit for double post
  • TracyB4889TracyB4889 member
    edited May 2015
    Edit for double post...stupid app glitch!
  • 11 days out, I can pump around 2-3 oz around 5-6 times a day. Some of those are after a feeding (in the morning) and some are an hour before or after a feeding. However, we're having issues with a possible tongue tie so the feedings aren't "full" feedings if that makes sense.
  • rolee123rolee123 member
    edited May 2015
    I pump about twice a day and get about 10 to 15 oz . The rest of the time I just put her on the breast but if I didn't pump my boobs would hurt really bad. I'm three weeks pp
  • I'm 11 days pp. DD won't latch so I'm pumping while we work on that. I get 4-8 ounces a session but I only pump every 4 hrs or so bc finding time with 3 kids is hard! I'd say she's taking about 18-20 ounces a day and I'm pumping about 25-30.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I pump about once a day after a feed and only get a half ounce combined from both breasts. If I just pump I get about an ounce from each one. Low supply issues here. :(
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited June 2015
    Now at two weeks out, I produce 2.5-5.5 per pumping session. I also breastfeed directly. I need to tally up my daily totals but so far I'm staying ahead of demand (if only by a few ounces).
  • I cannot believe how much milk some of you get. Doesn't the amount depend on how old your baby is? I thought you produce more when your baby gets older. My milk is very slowly increasing, worried I'm going to have to have tho supplement with formula. I pump every three hours or so. Frustrated!
  • @Tarebear17 A week ago I would have been lucky to get 3oz! Frequent nursing and pumping really helped increase supply. 
  • Just reminding you all that the pump is not as effective as your baby at getting milk out of your breasts. Each individual nursing pair also is going to produce different amounts depending on how old your baby is, how well hydrated you are, and what time of day it is. :)
    It depends on the baby. Some of them don't transfer as well as others. We had a tongue tie and the pump was definitely better than the baby at getting milk out. Now that we've fixed that, I think it's a tight race--baby has definitely improved!
  • rae430rae430 member
    4 weeks pp and I get 6 oz per pumping session. I also have to manually pump before nursing DS because of my frustratingly overactive let down- I try for an oz before he starts eating
  • 4 weeks pp and i only get MAYBE 1 oz per pump. low supply here and i'm super bummed about it. I've gotten fenugreek tabs which I started 2 days ago, mothers milk tea which i take 2 cups per day, I do a huge thing of oatmeal a day, lots of water, I BF my DS every 3 hours but have to supplement him with 2 oz of formula afterwards, then I pump for 10-15 min after that.....i'm hoping to increase supply soon??? I think tomorrow I may try a marathon pump session. 
  • @lindseyc1983 , I'm in the exact same situation. Super frustrated and don't know what else to try. Now my DS is starting to show less interest in breastfeeding because he seems to just comfort nurse every time he latches on.
  • VTomanVToman member
    I am lucky if I can pump 1 oz in a day. I am two weeks pp, and still trying to nurse and then pump afterwards - most of the time. Sometimes, I am so frustrated and upset that I just don't even want to try to pump because I'm just gonna get more upset when I see how little I'm actually pumping. Been to the lactation clinic and my DD is not getting much more from me either. Yesterday, after nursing for about an hour, she only got an ounce from me! I'm doing what they've told me to do to increase supply, but I'm about to give up. If we hadn't spent a lot of money on the electric pump, I would have given up already. As it is, she's already getting most of her nutrition from formula...
  • Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one having supply issues. 10 days pp, having to supplement about 2oz formula after feedings. I get about an ounce per pumping. Already taking brewers yeast going to pick up fenugreek tomorrow & give that a try.
  • I pump or feed about every 5 hours and pump an average of 6 oz on each side each time. My son is 5 months however.