2nd Trimester
Options

Compromising on a name

so my boyfriend and I are having our first child and we cannot agree on names at all. I am hoping to find something unique not completely made up just something I don't know of 20 other people naming their children. He wants the exact opposite. He likes names like Tom for a boy and Mary for a girl and that just sounds horrible to me! He says all my names sound like "something from mortal Kombat." I don't know what version of mortal kombat he played but I don't find any connection between names like Brixton (for a boy) or Leilani (for a girl) and mortal Kombat lol Any advice on how we can get to a happy medium?!

Re: Compromising on a name

• Options
    Maybe try and simplify the names you like. You like Brixton, so maybe something like Braxton which is a little more well known but not common and if you like Leilani then maybe something like Leia or Leila?  
  • Options
    I know a Leilani and the name's origin. Brixton sounds made up. Maybe look through a name book together to find more uncommon names, but still ones that are established so your partner sees the origin of the name. Might help him accept something a bit more off the beaten path.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Brixton does sound made up. Leilani is pretty but a bit too flowery IMO. I think PPs suggestions of Braxton and Leila are good compromises.

Have you ever checked out the Social Security websites list of baby names by popularity? They just released the list for 2014. Maybe you guys can look at the list and see if you spot any you like? You can both agree not to go with any names that are in the top 50 or whatever.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Actually Tom and Mary aren't popular where as Brixton is 100% made up and trendy and sounds like a bazillion other made up names right now.  CHeck out the SS list and search about 250, 500, or even above the top 1000.  Use behindthename.com for actually seeing if the names are legit etc.  I assure you there are a lot of uncommon great names that you could agree on.  

• Options
    I'm sorry girl, Brixton is too weird/yuppie for Mortal Kombat.

Nameberry has a list for boys and girls called classic names under the top 1000. Maybe something from there will strike your fancy.
  • Options
    Yeah since I'm of Hawaiian descent flowery girl names are common. I love the name Leila but it's my best friends name and I rather not name my child anything that anyone close to me already has.
    I like Braxton too! Boyfriend doesn't though :/
  • Options
    Brixton is the name of a band, i like it as a name though but I had the same issue with my fiancé, I wanted a more unique name and he wanted old fashioned names we butted heads for weeks over it! Eventually we agreed to stop talking about it and come back to the issue, when we sat back down he asked me if I'd be okay with naming our girl Hillary after his moms middle name (as she passed lasted year is was his way of honoring her) but truth be told I hate the name Hillary and if we honor her I'd rather use her first name, so I suggested Cynthia Hope, and he loved it. And for a boy we continued to but heads over names and spelling (like we both liked the name Jackson but he wanted the traditional spelling and I wanted Jaxon after a character in my favorite book) and eventually we asked an outside source for help, my dad, and he found a list and suggested a few from it and we found one we loved! Colton! We're having a girl but we were proud we'd finally picked names together.

Try taking a step back for a bit and come back to it. Or wait until you know the gender so there's less to bicker about, and a baby name website or book could help.
  • Options
    I love Liana (lee-ah-Na). Similar to Leilani.
  • Options
    BoonhildeBoonhilde member
    edited May 2015
    My son's name is Tom. I'm glad it sounds horrible to you. (I'm kidding!!!)

Neither of you should have to compromise. Keep searching; you'll find one you both love.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Brixton sounds and looks like those cheap names that people are just pulling out of their butts. 

If you like it, that's all that matters but.... he's not going to get taken very seriously with a moniker like that. 

Leilani is actually a very common name in some parts of the world. I know one but HE'S a guy :) That being said, i think it could suit either gender... so maybe something to consider?
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited May 2015
    And btw, my husband and I? Same issue. We've agreed on girl names but cannot meet eye to eye for a boy. He likes typical "douchebag" names (won't name them here because i'm going to piss off even more people but suffice it to say, they are names that guarantee the kid is going to grow up into a douche) 

I want a boy's name that reflects my ancestry, German. So I have been interested most in names like Axel or Ansel. Or naming him after my  late uncle Fredrich ("Freddy"). Axel reminds him of Guns N Roses (fair enough though I'd argue not a bad thing), Ansel makes him think of HANSEL (which irritates me because i specifically picked Ansel because my husband is a photographer and Ansel Adams is one of his favorites) and he thinks Freddy is too Nightmare on Elm Street-ish. (for crying out loud....)

We have settled very hesitantly on three names. Logan (his contribution), Felix (we both suggested it) and Ivan (my contribution) 

Oh and let's also not forget that, because my Husband is Chinese, his grandfather will bestow a Chinese name on the kid. And because I'm ALSO jewish, my great aunt will bestow a Hebrew name on the kid too. 

This kid is seriously going to have identity problems. But lots are his options for his facebook name.