Baby Names
Options

Just for fun: favorite tv/movie baby naming moment

DH and I laugh all the time when we are discussing names. Often it's because someone has said something that reminds us of a favorite tv or movie quote. One of our favorites is from an early episode of 30 Rock...

Cerie: We both want to have babies while it's still cool. I already have all the names picked out. If it's a girl, Bookcase. Or Sandstorm, or maybe Hat, but that's more of a boy's name.

Do any of you have favorite baby naming jokes, quotes, or touching scenes/storylines that keep coming back to you?

Re: Just for fun: favorite tv/movie baby naming moment

• Options
    saham07saham07 member
    It is hard to top that one!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    g8trkim said:

Love the Friends episode where Rachel uses Monica's baby name. It's really sweet.

Monica: Take it.
    Rachel: What?
    Monica: She's clearly an Emma.
    Rachel: Oh, honey, but you love that name.
    Monica: Yeah, but I love you more.

Then Monica says something about how she's screwed anyway because nothing goes with Bing.
    OMG yes I forgot about that one! Totally gets me choked up!
  • Options
    g8trkimg8trkim member
    And that's when everyone jumped on the Emma train. It's been a top 10 name every since.

• Options

g8trkim said:

Love the Friends episode where Rachel uses Monica's baby name. It's really sweet.

Monica: Take it.
    Rachel: What?
    Monica: She's clearly an Emma.
    Rachel: Oh, honey, but you love that name.
    Monica: Yeah, but I love you more.

Then Monica says something about how she's screwed anyway because nothing goes with Bing.
    OMG yes I forgot about that one! Totally gets me choked up!

I love when Ross and Rachel are discussing names and they keep vetoing each other. Then Pheobe chimes in and says, "Is it just me, or is Vito starting to sound really good right now?" Cracks me up!
  • Options

g8trkim said:

I love when Ross and Rachel are discussing names and they keep vetoing each other. Then Pheobe chimes in and says, "Is it just me, or is Vito starting to sound really good right now?" Cracks me up!

We say that all the time too! I love when Ross vetoes Sandrine because he says it sounds like an industrial solvent lol
  • Options
    ^Don't know what happened there, but I was trying to say: We say that all the time too! I love when Ross vetoes Sandrine because he says it sounds like an industrial solvent lol
  • Options
    I love it when Pheobe is pregnant with the triplets and is singing Are you in there little fetus? Won't you come and greet us? I'll buy you some Adidas!
  • Options

DH and I laugh all the time when we are discussing names. Often it's because someone has said something that reminds us of a favorite tv or movie quote. One of our favorites is from an early episode of 30 Rock...

Cerie: We both want to have babies while it's still cool. I already have all the names picked out. If it's a girl, Bookcase. Or Sandstorm, or maybe Hat, but that's more of a boy's name.

Do any of you have favorite baby naming jokes, quotes, or touching scenes/storylines that keep coming back to you?

I lurrrrrve 30 rock! My husband just told me that "hat is more of a boy's name" this weekend when we were discussing potential middle names. I don't know about any show naming moments but I do think that Arrested Development has some of the most fun with names. I appreciate the word play!

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options

I lurrrrrve 30 rock! My husband just told me that "hat is more of a boy's name" this weekend when we were discussing potential middle names. I don't know about any show naming moments but I do think that Arrested Development has some of the most fun with names. I appreciate the word play!
    If you haven't seen it yet, you neeeeeed to get to a tv with Netflix immediately and watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Main character is Kimmy, and you find out later her sister is Keemee. RE: word play- there is a fake song in one episode that is nothing but words that rhyme with Pinot Noir. YOU. WILL. DIE. LAUGHING. ;-)
  • Options
    @awhitehorn YES! I love love love it! Titus is the greatest character! I had Peeno Noir stuck in my head for weeks! I love when Kimmy's stepdad realizes that naming his kid Keemee was a mistake and says he now acknowledges that is "not a name."

• Options

@awhitehorn YES! I love love love it! Titus is the greatest character! I had Peeno Noir stuck in my head for weeks! I love when Kimmy's stepdad realizes that naming his kid Keemee was a mistake and says he now acknowledges that is "not a name."

Okay now that I know I'm not spoiling anything for you I can say this: it probably makes me some kind of sicko but whoever thought of the homophone "Peeno Noir" is my hero.

Also YES the "not a name" comment! Hahaha
  • Options
    I love on How I Met Your Mother that the baby's middle name is wait for it.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    It's not a naming moment but...
    I DO love the episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia:
    "Who got Dee Pregnant!?"
  • Options

It wasn't a baby-naming moment, but it involves names. I LOVE the scene in Ted where they're trying to guess the white-trash girl name. "Wait, is it one of the names I already said with a Lynn added to the end?"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7URSM_ShQQ
    THIS.
  • Options
    Parks and Rec final episode where Andy and April had their baby on Halloween and are still trying to decide on a name.

Andy: Burt Macklin Jr.?

April: We need a Halloween angle. How about Demon Spawn Baby Satan Dwyer?

Andy: Oh, I like that! Or, Burt Snakehole Ludgate Karate Dracula Macklin Demon Jack-o-Lantern Dwyer, and we call him Jack for short!

Then Leslie asked the name, and they said "Jack," and she says "Oh, thank God."

I miss Parks and Rec so much!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    @Elsa1984 @gonetothesea I forgot those!! Ah, two of my fav shows. I'm in denial that Parks isn't coming back.

Don't forget that Michael's boy name was Chevy. Chevy and Astrid would be quite the sibset!

• Options

@Elsa1984 @gonetothesea I forgot those!! Ah, two of my fav shows. I'm in denial that Parks isn't coming back.

Don't forget that Michael's boy name was Chevy. Chevy and Astrid would be quite the sibset!

Hahaha, I forgot about that. I miss The Office, too. :(
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options

Man I miss 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, and the Office. Guess y'all probably know Unbreakable Kimmy got cancelled too

I'm pretty sure Netflix bought two seasons! It was pretty well received.

• Options

Man I miss 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, and the Office. Guess y'all probably know Unbreakable Kimmy got cancelled too :-(

What! I didn't hear that! I hope that isn't true. :(
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18

• Options
    Okay okay false alarm, I think. A friend told me he read that it was cancelled after the suicide thing, but I never fact-checked that. Can't find anything that says that. Did find stuff that says they bought 2 seasons, like @MixedBerries88 said. WHEW that is a big relief!
  • Options

Okay okay false alarm, I think. A friend told me he read that it was cancelled after the suicide thing, but I never fact-checked that. Can't find anything that says that. Did find stuff that says they bought 2 seasons, like @MixedBerries88 said. WHEW that is a big relief!

Yay! Thank goodness!
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18

• Options
    Yay! Thank goodness!
    It't too early for y'all to be scaring me like that. I just lost Parks and Rec. Don't take away my Kimmy!
  • Options
    Don't worry @LizWhiz87 we are safe in the warm embrace of Netflix.

• Options
    Don't worry @LizWhiz87 we are safe in the warm embrace of Netflix.
    If Netflix had been around before I met my husband, I might never have gotten married. Netflix is all the companion I need.
  • Options
    Elsa1984 said:

The Office, when Michael cannot say Astrid, and keeps calling the baby "A**-turd"

This is all I think when I read or hear this name. It is ruined for me, forever.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    I have known a Astrid for about 9 years now. I didn't really think anything of it, until The Office episode. Now each time I see it on Facebook, I read it as "A**-Turd"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Omg yall, the lady at the IKEA Swedish market at the check out was named Astrid and I couldn't help myself. When we walked away, I said to my husband "Jan says it means Viking princess." Oh I miss The Office.

• Options
    I have been watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix (terrific show BTW), and Jane Fonda's daughter has a son named Macklin and a daughter named Madison. It cracked me up because Macklin automatically made me think of Burt Macklin, FBI, and in the episode where she names Madison, Jane Fonda is like, "that's the name?" and when her other daughter asks what they named the baby, Jane Fonda says, "Madison, and there's nothing we can do about it."
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    LizWhiz87 said:

I have been watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix (terrific show BTW), and Jane Fonda's daughter has a son named Macklin and a daughter named Madison. It cracked me up because Macklin automatically made me think of Burt Macklin, FBI, and in the episode where she names Madison, Jane Fonda is like, "that's the name?" and when her other daughter asks what they named the baby, Jane Fonda says, "Madison, and there's nothing we can do about it."

I just finished Grace and Frankie last name and I swear, I had the same thoughts. As if I didn't love Grace enough...that sealed the deal!

I edited to put a Burt Macklin gif in here but I'm on mobile and can't figure it out. W/e.

• Options
    Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    edited June 2015
    @LizWhiz87 and @MixedBerries88, you'll be happy to know that Grace and Frankie was renewed for a 2nd season. I have 2 friends who work on that show and say it's a great crew. With that said, please keep watching! Obviously, when the ratings are good shows have a better chance at continuing. Unfortunately, shows like Parks and Rec, The Office, and 30 Rock reached their inevitable end... it has to happen sometime, but it gives new shows a chance to succeed. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    @brita722 That's great news!