Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Sleeping Habits

so my almost 8 weeks old has been doing great with naps and sleeping at night. Going down between 7-730 and waking up at 12:30 back down at 1am awake by 5:30/6. These last few days he won't nap for longer than 5 minutes without waking up screaming and at night same thing! He'll sleep for two hours and wake up like he hasn't eaten. Where he is eating anywhere from 4.5-6 oz a feeding. I try to let him cry himself to sleep but after 15-20 mins he goes from volume 1 to breaking the freaking sound barrier. Anyone else having this problem? If so what did you do?

All advice/tips greatly appreciated.

Re: Sleeping Habits

• Options
    I keep stimulation loud and bright during the day and at night I don't engage him at all. Room is dark and cool. Is this just a phase?
  • Options

Babies are CONSTANTLY changing so try not to get discouraged or frustrated when it happens. Their habits, including sleep will change weekly. I wouldn't count on an 8 week old sleeping all night or even only waking up once. You've been lucky so far.

And please, PLEASE don't let your 8 week old baby lay there and cry. If he is waking up crying it's because he has a need. He's most likely going through a growth spurt and is hungry more often.

Babies are really tough and it might do you some good to read a baby book or 2 to find out what is normal for that age.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have read many many books, and he wasn't like this since he was born. Ended up having to go to Dr and found out he is colicky. I was doing everything right, going through all the motions. Feeding, burping, changing. Gave him a nice bath complete with lavender to relax him. Finally after he was up from 1:15am and here it was 10:30 and he still hadn't gone back to sleep, I needed some help.
  • Options
    VegasFox said:
    I have read many many books, and he wasn't like this since he was born. Ended up having to go to Dr and found out he is colicky. I was doing everything right, going through all the motions. Feeding, burping, changing. Gave him a nice bath complete with lavender to relax him. Finally after he was up from 1:15am and here it was 10:30 and he still hadn't gone back to sleep, I needed some help.

Colicky babies are no joke, I get it. That makes the normal crabby baby stuff look like a cake walk. I'm sorry things are tough.
  • Options

Babies are CONSTANTLY changing so try not to get discouraged or frustrated when it happens. Their habits, including sleep will change weekly. I wouldn't count on an 8 week old sleeping all night or even only waking up once. You've been lucky so far.

And please, PLEASE don't let your 8 week old baby lay there and cry. If he is waking up crying it's because he has a need. He's most likely going through a growth spurt and is hungry more often.

Babies are really tough and it might do you some good to read a baby book or 2 to find out what is normal for that age.

This. Baby can't form "bad habits" until at least a year old. True story, it's all gravy until the Four Month Wakeful hits. Then all bets are off.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Also every parent on this board should read The Period of Purple a Crying we page. Google it.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers