2nd Trimester

Mixed Italian Sub made me guilty

Just had a mixed Italian Sub. Feeling guilty. I usually eat all organic and natural. This is my first time having cold cuts my entire pregnancy. I am 22 weeks. It was all Applegate meat which has no nitrates, but still feel a little guilty. I just needed to break the rules a little. Anyone else?

Re: Mixed Italian Sub made me guilty

• I eat anything I want to eat with the exception of, deli meat, hot dogs, few types of fish, no caffeine or liquor, no liquorice, no soft cheese. My OB has told me to stay away from the above.
  • JinnelJinnel member
    I usually do too. But deli meat is bad because of the nitrates. This particular deli meat has no nitrates. I figured once in awhile doesn't hurt. One of my friends ate bologna sandwiches when she was pregnant and my other friend would do a mixed Italian once in awhile. I'll never do Bologna and if I ever would do deli again it would have to be Applegate. Look up Applegate Farms if you ever want to cheat.
  • Loading the player...
  • JinnelJinnel member

You are fine. Do not feel guilty. If you normally eatt a well balanced diet, one cold cut sandwich will not be harmful. I ate healthy most of my pregnancy, but sometimes you just need to "give in" and eat something "not so good for you."

Thanks Sunrise! I needed to hear that. I really do eat well. I just need to break the rules once in awhile.
  • The way I see it honestly is stick to safe foods if you can but if your craving something little bit of what you fancy won't hurt! Remember, billions of babies have been born way way way before all these health and safety food options where introduced and been just fine ! If it was that terrible to completely avoid caffeine fish deli meats etc etc nobody would be here today! As long as your eating well the other time a little bit of cheating isn't bad :) xx
  • rue:Drue:D member
    My opinion is that almost anything in moderation is fine. I've eaten several deli sandwiches and don't feel bad about it at all! Still have caffeine every day although I do stay under the limit my doctor recommended. I've eaten a hot dog! At some point I'll probably drink a little wine! :O
  • JinnelJinnel member
    Thanks guys! My OB pretty much said the same thing too.
  • I'd love to have a can of Coke and a hot dog but my husband would flip. I haven't had caffeine since January and it's incredibly hard to function sometimes because I'm so tired, etc...
  • Peach&Dan said:

I'd love to have a can of Coke and a hot dog but my husband would flip. I haven't had caffeine since January and it's incredibly hard to function sometimes because I'm so tired, etc...

Tell him to either show you the research that says a Coke and a hot dog in moderation is bad or to shut up and stop trying to regulate your body
  • Peach&Dan said:
    I'd love to have a can of Coke and a hot dog but my husband would flip. I haven't had caffeine since January and it's incredibly hard to function sometimes because I'm so tired, etc...
    Please to tell your husband to carry a child for 40 weeks and then talk about what you are able to eat and drink. I don't normally play that card, but MH knew better than to try and dictate what I ate. If I had been binge drinking? Yes, okay to say something. Eating a weenie and drinking a soda? Nope nope nope. Have the Coke and hot dog. 
  • Thank you ladies for your support. This pregnancy is very high risk and my husband is afraid that any little thing could put baby's or my health at risk. I see my OB on Monday and I'm going to ask him if I can have a little caffeine. If he says no its ok since I've gone this long without it.
  • Jinnel said:

Just had a mixed Italian Sub. Feeling guilty. I usually eat all organic and natural. This is my first time having cold cuts my entire pregnancy. I am 22 weeks. It was all Applegate meat which has no nitrates, but still feel a little guilty. I just needed to break the rules a little. Anyone else?

I broke all the "rules" except the wine one. My kids are both happy & healthy. My advice to you is to live your life & don't stress the small stuff.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Peach&Dan said:

Thank you ladies for your support. This pregnancy is very high risk and my husband is afraid that any little thing could put baby's or my health at risk. I see my OB on Monday and I'm going to ask him if I can have a little caffeine. If he says no its ok since I've gone this long without it.

Iced tea or coffee should be perfectly fine, hun. The human race is remarkably robust. Obviously, get the green light from your OB-- but pregnancy is not a disability.

If I may ask, what makes your pregnancy so high risk?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Peach&Dan said:

Is your husband abstaining from caffeine & hotdogs too? If he's going to police what you eat then he should suffer with you. My husband knows better than to treat me like a child or scold me. You are pregnant, not an invalid.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• My age makes my pregnancy high risk. I don't think that I'm old.... I got pregnant at 38. Took years to get pregnant and this is my first child.
  • furelise93furelise93 member
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, I'd like to see my husband try to tell me what I can/cannot eat. I will allow my husband tell me what I can eat after he has dealt with all-freaking-day sickness, shingles while being pregnant, and carried a child full-term. I've eaten at Subway several times, several hot dogs (the ones I buy contain no nitrates), *gasp* tuna, and I'm a Texan so OF COURSE I indulge in sweet tea and the occasional Big Red. I stay under the recommended caffeine limit, so it's all good. The food restrictions that people put on pregnant women are ridiculous. Use common sense, and we'll all be okay.

Edited because typos.

imageimage

O'15 September Siggy Challenge -- Third Trimester Woes
  • Peach&Dan said:

My age makes my pregnancy high risk. I don't think that I'm old.... I got pregnant at 38. Took years to get pregnant and this is my first child.

Um, what? Age alone isn't a big risk factor...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I thought so too but I'll just go with the OB says. I don't like being labeled. I got pregnant when it was meant to be, can't help that I'm older.
  • OP, don't beat yourself up about what's already happend ;)

For me, I never "cheated" with the stuff that could contain listeria because that stuff really can do harm. There was a listeria outbreak from deli meat close to where I live (Europe) during my 2nd tri so I stayed the hell away from it, but everyone assesses risk differently.
    Coffee on the other hand... I had lots, because yum!
  • JinnelJinnel member
    Peach&Dan said:

You are absolutely allowed to have one can of coke or a cup of coffee. This much I know. If you do research on this you'll see that you are technically allotted 6 ounces of coffee a day. I know some women that will have two cappuccinos a day and be fine. What my OB says about that is drink it based on how you feel. If you start to feel edgy from the caffeine then stay away. If you feel normal then it's fine. Bottom line if you feel good then baby feels good. Caffeine is also good for headaches. I attempted to not have caffeine, like you, at first but then I got headaches. Having caffeine really helped that. The only hesitation i would have from Coke is the sugar factor. But you should "not" let your husband dictate what you should eat or drink. He has no right. I've had a couple of hotdogs but I make sure they are all beef or no nitrate. Hope this helps!