January 2016 Moms

Those of you who are taking B6 & Unisom...

how long did it take for you to start to feel better? I started taking this yesterday and still feel so yuck. :(

I searched the threads and couldn't find specific discussions on this, but apologize if this has already been discussed. I know how everyone hates repeat questions. 
DD 6/2007
DS 4/2009
m/c 11/12/2010 ~ 7 wks
m/c 7/4/2012 ~ 6 wks
DD 12/2013
mmc Baby Girl 7/12/2015 ~ 14 weeks  <3
Twin girls! 8/26/2017

Re: Those of you who are taking B6 &amp; Unisom...

• I just do the Unison sleep tabs. My worst nausea comes in the evening around 8pm, so I tend to take 1/2 a tablet a couple hours beforehand. I screwed up once and took it too late and it came back up. It seems to do the trick for me though.
  • I take b6 and I am still nauseas and get sick occasionally. It did curb my food aversions and smell a little though. It took a couple of days. I've learned I can't take it with other vitamins or I get a really bad stomache ache.
  • Loading the player...
  • It started working for me really quickly. I took it on a particularly bad night around 8pm and by 10pm it had gone from a level 8 (10 being the absolute worst) down to a 3-4 and I got some great sleep. Had heard from a few others that it took a few doses to kick in. I save it and only use when it is really bad but in general it starts working within an hour and lasts for a full 8 hours.
  • Also apparantly there are two different types of Unisom. On another thread someone suggested you try the other one if the first one didn't work. My doc did stress that the dose is only 25mg. Half a tab. And it works best when taken with the 25mg of b6.
  • You need the doxylamine succinate unisom, not the diphenhydramine unisom (this one is the same as Benadryl). I also take it with vitamin B6.

Diclegis (or Diclectin for you Canadians) is 20 mg of doxylamine and 20 mg of pyridoxine/B6. This is the only medicine FDA approved for morning sickness in pregnancy and is super expensive and usually not covered by insurance.

So, you can do it yourself. The only B6 I could find comes in 100mg tabs, so I cut those in half. And the OTC unisom is 25mg tabs.

I've only taken it 2 nights so far and I do think it helps, but I've still been nauseous.

When I was trying to decide what to buy I had a chat with the pharmacist at CVS and she acted a little surprised that I knew what was in Diclegis and I was trying to do it myself. She sort of shrugged and was like-yeah give it a go. She had to look it up to make sure what I was saying was right. My point is do your research, and don't be too surprised if the pharmacist isn't all that helpful.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • aelockeaelocke member
    Diclegis is extended release while regular unisom and b6 isnt. I've been taking it and haven't found it useful at all. Hope you get some relief
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been taking the blue tabs of Unisom (doxylamine succinate) around 7pm and B6 in the mornings. I'm 8 weeks today and have been taking it for 10 days so far. Symptoms improved after 2 days for me. I've also taken Zofran on the worst days but try to avoid it because of it's annoying side effects.
    Hadley 3.2011 | Ali 7.2013 | Jack 1.2016
    NEW PEANUT DUE 7.2017 <3
  • ChelseyBelsChelseyBels member
    edited May 2015
    I'm so nauseous and can't get ANY work done. How's the B6 Unisom working for all of you? Still good?

I may have had a breakdown this morning and said I can't do this for another month to the hubs... So sick. Ugh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mama to one girl: born 12/2009. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Still working great. Give it a shot @ChelseyBels
    Hadley 3.2011 | Ali 7.2013 | Jack 1.2016
    NEW PEANUT DUE 7.2017 <3
  • Ok! So, it's not a prescription thing? I'll do some googling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Diphenhydramine has always worked better for me. That and the doxy are both class B drugs. I still do feel sick on it, but much better than the doxy. Just try one and switch to the other if it isn't working as well. I take it with a B6 too.

• 38202043820204 member
    Does anyone have photos of the box and bottle they bought?
    I'm so trying this!
  • I want to marry unisom and b6. I've felt mostly okay today. Super super spacey from the unisom, but so worth it. I'm not puking!!!! Not nauseous!!!

• @3820204 don't have a photo right now, but it's the pill (NOT the gel capsule) at 25mg.