April 2014 Moms

How much milk?

How much milk are your LOs drinking? Now that we stopped formula she is eating more food but only drinking maybe 10-12 oz of milk per day (milk with breakfast, lunch and dinner). Just curious to see what others are at!

Re: How much milk?

• About 24 oz... 4oz after breakfast and lunch, then 6 oz midday snack, 4oz with dinner and 6 oz bedtime bottle.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• About 16 oz a day. Sometimes a little more or less. She has some with each meal in a cup, and an 8oz bottle before bed. I'll switch the bottle to a chp next month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • He still gets two bottles a day (8 oz each) before naps and nurses in the morning and evening. I offer milk at every meal, and sometimes he drinks a few ounces, sometimes a sip or two.  I'm contemplating dropping the morning nursing session and am guessing that might increase what he takes from a cup.  I should give up the bottles before naps too, but I'm not ready to take that one on yet!
  • About 28oz. 4oz at breakfast, 8oz before both naptimes and 8oz again before bed. He gets water with every meal.
  • kmos816kmos816 member
    Wow my LO is on the low end!!!!
  • DD gets 20 oz 5oz bottle in the am, 5 oz mid morning, 5 oz mid afternon, 5 oz before bed...... My dr said I shouldn't be giving her anymore than 20oz a day....... I need to start weaning the bottle
  • @Kkaew816 My Dr is very liberal and a lot of recent studies suggest that there isn't really a reason to give milk in excess. He says that the more milk toddlers have the less nutrition they will get from food. Milk is high in sugar, low in iron and can inhibit absorption of iron from other foods. Some studies are pretty strict and say <16oz. My son drinks maybe 8oz/day but eats yogurt and cheese like a madman. Not sure how that plays in...

PS...I'm not a Dr, just repeating what he said, but I did google it and he seems not too terribly full of crap:)
  • kmos816kmos816 member

@Kkaew816 My Dr is very liberal and a lot of recent studies suggest that there isn't really a reason to give milk in excess. He says that the more milk toddlers have the less nutrition they will get from food. Milk is high in sugar, low in iron and can inhibit absorption of iron from other foods. Some studies are pretty strict and say <16oz. My son drinks maybe 8oz/day but eats yogurt and cheese like a madman. Not sure how that plays in...

PS...I'm not a Dr, just repeating what he said, but I did google it and he seems not too terribly full of crap:)</p>

That's good to hear! My Dr said the same thing it's just so hard to get used to since she used to drink so much formula! My Dr. said to aim for about 15 oz milk/day- I guess we are just on the (much) lower end.
  • About 12 oz from a bottle, and 2 nursing sessions. Water with both meals. He eats like a dang horse too. I'm pretty sure he'd sit in his high chair and eat all day long if I kept the food comin.
  • This makes me think maybe I should cut back the amount in the bottles. But he does eat a ton of food too. Today we're accidentally going to experiment with skipping the afternoon bottle since he fell asleep in the car. We'll see!
  • She nurses 3-5 times/24 hrs. She screams and throws her milk cup anytime I give it to her. She hates it. Neither of my other two kids were/are milk drinkers, but we eat a lot of other dairy products.
  • My doctor said to treat milk as a beverage not a food source so much. The recommendation is 16-20 oz MAX. Every kid will be different, but they have found a lot of kids who drink a lot more milk are higher risk for low iron

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmos816kmos816 member

This makes me think maybe I should cut back the amount in the bottles. But he does eat a ton of food too. Today we're accidentally going to experiment with skipping the afternoon bottle since he fell asleep in the car. We'll see!

We cut the afternoon bottle after daycare accidentally forgot to give it to her and she didn't seem to miss it!
  • When you skip the afternoon bottle, do you give them a snack instead?

• Oh and Im curious about the bedtime bottle... she eats dinner at 7 and goes to bed at 10pm... should that bottle (or eventually sippy cup) stay? I really like the routine, I rock her as she eats her bottle and read to her.

• LolaX2LolaX2 member
    DD is only drinking 10-14 oz these days. She would just rather eat food and loves water. She will not drink milk cold or from a sippy cup. She drinks water just fine from the sippy but absolutely refuses milk unless it is warm and in a bottle. She is on the small side and drinking little milk so I still give her the bottle to get some milk in her.
  • Oh and Im curious about the bedtime bottle... she eats dinner at 7 and goes to bed at 10pm... should that bottle (or eventually sippy cup) stay? I really like the routine, I rock her as she eats her bottle and read to her.

My doctor said that still giving milk (in a cup) before bed is good. Just brush teeth after

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmos816kmos816 member

When you skip the afternoon bottle, do you give them a snack instead?

Yes.... My LO eats 3 meals plus a snack in the morning and in the afternoon.... Sometimes two snacks in the afternoon depending on what time we will be eating dinner!
  • kmos816kmos816 member

Oh and Im curious about the bedtime bottle... she eats dinner at 7 and goes to bed at 10pm... should that bottle (or eventually sippy cup) stay? I really like the routine, I rock her as she eats her bottle and read to her.

I read somewhere that you can also give a snack before bedtime instead of milk. We eat dinner at 5:30/6 and she goes to bed at 7:30 so we don't need to do a bottle or snack before bed.
  • LolaX2 said:

DD is only drinking 10-14 oz these days. She would just rather eat food and loves water. She will not drink milk cold or from a sippy cup. She drinks water just fine from the sippy but absolutely refuses milk unless it is warm and in a bottle. She is on the small side and drinking little milk so I still give her the bottle to get some milk in her.

This! Except I can't even get her to drink 10oz. I'm still giving her a small bottle in the morning mixed with formula but making up for lost dairy with yogurt and cheese. She loves water in the sippy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• We have been giving about 15oz of milk per day. She was drinking more, but it was starting to constipated her so the pediatrician recommended we give no more than 16-18 oz dairy per day. 15 oz still gives us the option of giving her yogurt or cheese during meal times.
  • Anybody else's LO "choke"/cough every time they drink from a sippy? It doesn't matter if I give him a regular sippy or a straw, it's like he swallows funny almost every time. If I hold a cup and let him drink out of it normally (like we would) he does great. Any ideas?
  • I had no idea there was a "milk limit"! DH and I go through 4 gallons a week just the two of us, so it is expected that DD will be a big milk drinker too. I guess I might start with cutting out the afternoon 6 oz bottle and give her a snack and water instead.

• kmos816kmos816 member

Anybody else's LO "choke"/cough every time they drink from a sippy? It doesn't matter if I give him a regular sippy or a straw, it's like he swallows funny almost every time. If I hold a cup and let him drink out of it normally (like we would) he does great. Any ideas?

@0jamielynn0
    C never chocked but couldn't really drink that well out of a sippy.... We bought this new cup and she does really well with it. I think with the sippys it makes them suck too hard.... Which is why I don't think C likes them and maybe causing your LO to choke
    https://wowcup.net/pages/wowbaby.html#.VVTJL22CPCQ
  • @0jamielynn0 I agree with the above. We just got a cup like this one, but I just bought it at the grocery store. Our LO really likes it!
  • @kkaew816 and @emilyann64, those look awesome! Gonna try it...thanks!!
  • BADASBKRCKBADASBKRCK member
    edited May 2015
    So yesterday I gave DD a snack and water in the afternoon instead of her usual 6 oz bottle of milk... it went really well, so I guess this cuts us down to 18 oz of milk. Thanks for the information guys!

• So yesterday I gave DD a snack and water in the afternoon instead of her usual 6 oz bottle of milk... it went really well, so I guess this cuts us down to 18 oz of milk. Thanks for the information guys!

I did the same! He didn't even notice. Haha. For me, it's all about getting him to sleep. But I guess we probably need to work around that habit too. :)
  • So yesterday I gave DD a snack and water in the afternoon instead of her usual 6 oz bottle of milk... it went really well, so I guess this cuts us down to 18 oz of milk. Thanks for the information guys!

I did the same! He didn't even notice. Haha. For me, it's all about getting him to sleep. But I guess we probably need to work around that habit too. :)
    I know the afternoon bottle used to be a surefire way to get DD to nap if she had refused to nap earlier as usual. It will be missed as a backup plan. The bedtime bottle will probably stay for awhile though even if it becomes a  bedtime sippy cup. Im selfish and love that time.

• We cut out the morning bottle today and LO did fine!
  • kmos816kmos816 member

We cut out the morning bottle today and LO did fine!

Yay! After I started cutting out bottles I realized I was more dependent on them than she was haha
  • We cut out the morning bottle today and LO did fine!
    kkaew816 said:

Yay! After I started cutting out bottles I realized I was more dependent on them than she was haha
    Ha ha I have a feeling I am too!
  • kkaew816 said:

Yup!

• Okay, we cut out the morning bottle again today and LO had a goat meltdown. While we're trying to pack the car for the weekend. D'oh.
  • My DD drinks 10oz :(( i am still nursing