Toddlers: 24 Months+

Praying at Daycare

My son is 2 and a half and just moved into the "Upper 2s" room at daycare. He has said "Thank you for everything, Amen" a few times and said his new teacher asks them to "bow for her" (which I am assuming means bow their heads). We do not pray before our meals. Has anyone experienced this with daycare? I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I definitely think I should speak with her regarding me not wanting him to pray before meals. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Praying at Daycare

• Whoa. Interesting. I would definitely be talking to the school about this.
  • My daughter goes to a christian preschool so she prays before snacks and sings songs about jesus.  I'm assuming your daycare is not a religious one so I would bring it up with the director.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This is not a religious day care or even loosely affiliated with a  religious organization or a church, right? This would not go over well with me at all and I would definitely, politely, say something. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If that was the full extent of the "praying," I probably wouldn't worry about it. I'm not Christian, but I have no problem with my children expressing gratitude before a meal. However, if you suspect this to be just the tip of the religious iceberg, you might nicely ask the teacher about it.
  • Thank You for your responses.  In answer to the question, no this is not a religious daycare.  It is just a general, public daycare.  I will be speaking with his teacher today when I pick him up.  I just keep trying to think of the best way to approach it and what/how to say it.
  • Thank You for your responses.  In answer to the question, no this is not a religious daycare.  It is just a general, public daycare.  I will be speaking with his teacher today when I pick him up.  I just keep trying to think of the best way to approach it and what/how to say it.

did you talk to them??
  • Our daycare, which is not religiously affiliated, also has the kids say grace at meals. I find it really strange, but we're Christians so it's quite fine with me. But I wonder how other parents feel, or if they even know, about this.

• dufferoo said:

If that was the full extent of the "praying," I probably wouldn't worry about it. I'm not Christian, but I have no problem with my children expressing gratitude before a meal. However, if you suspect this to be just the tip of the religious iceberg, you might nicely ask the teacher about it.

This.  Personally I would not make a big deal about it but if it really bothers you then you can politely say something to the director.
  • Kudos to your preschool!

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Kudos to your preschool!

No.  Forcing religious practices on small children does not deserve kudos.  I know this is an old thread, but this would be a HUGE issue for me.  OP, I hope you were able to work this out with your pre-school.

• To each their own.poster asked for opinions.i said kudos!

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• I did speak with them and the director said it's a "poem" that they have been doing for years. We talked and he doesn't have to say it when they do. They tried to separate him from the group the first day and I told them not to do that.