June 2015 Moms

Inducing at 38 weeks

Hello!

So I went into my 37 week appointment yesterday (4 hours of testing later) and really really long story short, I have a calcified placenta that is measuring about 42 weeks and my doctor wants to induce me next Monday or Tuesday. I am pretty worried about being induced! Like really worried. I have never known anyone personally that has been induced but I have heard horror stories. I just need some advice... A little calming down or just any positive feedback I can! (I don't need anyone telling me inducing is bad, don't do it, etc..) obviously they know what they're doing and if it's safer for her to be here than inside my uterus than I'm okay, but still I'm terrified!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Inducing at 38 weeks

• There are several moms on here who are choosing to be induced - I bet they can put your mind at ease! Off the top of my head @klkonwi and I believe I saw that @Sammy K is taking this route as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My SIL was induced with 2 of her 3 and although she said it was more intense she didn't think it was too bad.
  • hswan26hswan26 member
    I was induced with DD at 38 weeks. I was already at 3 cm and having some contractions so it was favorable. They broke my water and I got pitocin. My advice is if you are intending to get the epidural do it before they break your water because after they did the contractions were terrible. My induction lasted exactly 8 hours. I was numb from the epidural so my daughter was vacuum assisted. I would do it the same way again of given the choice. It was relaxing, no worrying about going into labor and just laid back.
  • liliwrightliliwright member
    edited May 2015
    I wasn't induced, but I was augmented with pitocin as I wasn't progressing.  Like all the ladies said, every labor is different, regardless how they start or progress.  Telling you my story won't help you understand what you are going to experience.

That said, I will say that, if they use pitocin, I would go with an epidural.  The contractions can be more intense than 'natural" contractions.  I had a friend who labored through pitocin for awhile and ended up with an epidural away and it helped a lot.  So, you can try and see how you do!  

One thing I CAN tell you, as person who has suffered a lot with anxiety and panic, is that NO situation is EVER what you imagine in your head.  So TRY not to worry or imagine what will happen, because more than likely, it will be DIFFERENT!  I thought for SURE I'd have lots of bad anxiety and panic attacks during pregnancy and I was FINE, even during my very long labor!!!!!

You can do this, mama!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was induced with my first at 41+3 because of abnormally low fluid. I did end up with a csection, but I also wouldn't call it a horror story! I know several people who have had wonderful inductions. I'll be thinking about you, hang in there!

• Good luck @teather5! So exciting!
  • Good luck too!
  • teather5 said:

I'm being induced in the morning. Im thankful to read all these stories and will be sure to share mine too. We can do this, ladies! @Sammy K @frankengibbs

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing your story and wishing you an easy labor!
  • shaq818shaq818 member
    I was induced with my first and the labor was very quick and easy. Good luck to you.
  • I was induced at 39+1 with my first because he was big (9 lbs 6 oz) and it was the easiest labor ever. I was terrified, too, mostly of the "what if's" but it overall went smoothly. I don't have much to compare the contractions to though but I have heard like others that pitocin makes them more intense. I do have to say though I haven't heard any horror stories about induction from anyone I know. Just the Internet haha.
  • This is baby number 4 for our family, I have been induced with all of mine and no horror stories. Pit does make the contractions more intense and I did get an epi with all of mine which made the experience very relaxing and even enjoyable. My longest labor start to finish is 4 hours so i do believe induction makes labor go quickly but who knows it may just be my body. Labor I think makes all mamas nervous but IMO don't be scared of induction, from my own personal experience induction is a million times LESS scary and nerve wrecking than the thought of going into labor somewhere other than the hospital.

BEST WISHES!!!!
  • I feel your pain!  I just found out this week that i'll be induced at (Ideally) 37 weeks due to BP issues.  I'm at 34 and 5 days right now.  We have to remember it's best for both baby and your health.  Best wishes to you!
  • I was induced twice. They were quick labors with easy pushing. I found there pain was about the same for my natural deliveries honestly. So not all of the inductions are bad...
  • war6war6 member
    Low amniotic fluid
  • I will be getting induced Thursday at 38 weeks and a few days for gestational diabetes. Not worried I had it done with my last two children it wasn't so bad.
  • Congrats @teather5 and good luck to all the induction mamas!!
  • kcave21kcave21 member
    I was induced and everything worked out GREAT!!! I didn't have any issues what so ever!! Take a deep breath and everything will be okay! :)