December 2014 Moms

Worst Parenting Advice?

It seems as if the moment baby enters the world, you automatically become a magnet for unsolicited advice. Sure, some of it might be helpful, but you’re likely to receive some wacky suggestions.

Here, Bumpies share the craziest tips they’ve heard.

What is the worst parenting advice you’ve received or heard?

Re: Worst Parenting Advice?

• Luckily I haven't received that bad of advice but my MIL has commented many times over the 5 months my son has been here that he takes too many naps and that I need to keep him up as long as possible so that he sleeps at night. I think she has forgotten that babies need a good amount of sleep and get overtired and cranky if they're up too long.
  • The worst advice I got was how to train my baby to sleep through the night. I was told to never breastfeed her at night. When she wakes up, I should give her only water to drink. Apparently a few days of doing that and any baby would be sleeping through the night.
  • Loading the player...
  • skbaum01 said:

Luckily I haven't received that bad of advice but my MIL has commented many times over the 5 months my son has been here that he takes too many naps and that I need to keep him up as long as possible so that he sleeps at night. I think she has forgotten that babies need a good amount of sleep and get overtired and cranky if they're up too long.

Good job on knowing what's best for your LO! A well-rested baby is (hopefully) a happy baby :)  
  • My daughter slept crazy when she was a newborn and when it was time for husband to head back to work after she was born, he told me to keep her awake all day so she sleeps at night. I didn't say anything at that point, but I was thinking, "I don't think it works that way...." So when he got home I told him that I didn't think it worked that way with newborns. As far as bad advice, my in-laws wanted us to put rice cereal in her bottle so she'd sleep through the night. She had reflux, but it wasn't severe enough for that. We tried it once and she didn't sleep through the night. In fact, she didn't even sleep two hours. She burped in my face sometimes too and the rice cereal bottle made it stink! So I just didn't give that to her anymore and soon after, she began to sleep through the night on her own without rice cereal. When they found out she didn't get rice cereal in her bottle, they said we were starving their granddaughter. When it was time for cereal in a bowl, in-laws said, "I TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE STARVING HER!" So our advice was just mean advice lol 
  • Racheld 924 your post cracked me up. So typical of husbands. And so typical of inlaws. Lol
  • Haven't gotten 'bad' advice.... but def have gotten silly or annoying advice!! I have a family member that feeds her kids gluten free & restricts A LOT from both her kids (Neither have allergies) & both her kids are ever constipated, sleep poorly & have terrible general attitudes so I wonder why she's always being so sanctimonious about what others do (to each their own I say!)  I DO get a to of comments on the size of my child.... LO was 8+ lbs at birth & ver 21" & has been hovering in the 95% ever since....a larger child yes, but PERFECTLY healthy & happy & sleeps fantastically. I find it SO rude when ppl comment on a baby & fat shame! A baby its 'fat' they are ADORABLE ;)