June 2015 Moms

Red raspberry leaf tea/dates

Re: Red raspberry leaf tea/dates

• hecka20veggiehecka20veggie member
    edited May 2015
    I'm usually really careful about what I eat and drink, so when my friend (mama of am 8 month old) suggested RRL tea, I made sure to google it first. 

American Pregnancy Association calls it "likely safe" for third trimester and cites a study that it can be good for making sure that your birth is not too early or late and may help avoid interventions. High iron content too, which is good.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    24-year-old | FTM | CA, US | Multi-cultural & Proud | Hippie Dippie Crunchy Veggie Yogini
    Our little bean's birthday 05.14.15
  • Loading the player...
  • I've also heard that drinking the tea helps bring milk supply in. Is that true?? I'm 35w and have had a horrible third trimester. This is my 3rd and finally a boy but I've been in so much pain that I'm reading all these comments to help :). I started drinking the tea this week and I will say that down below hurts really bad I can barely walk!!! Not saying it's because of drinking the tea as he finally just flipped last week!
  • Both my midwife and acupuncturist are very encouraging to both RRL tea and eating dates in the third trimester. The tea will not induce labor, but it will make contractions more effective when labor does come on. I also have a good friend who ate dates during her last few weeks and had no tearing at all! I drink traditional medicinals pure RRL tea with a little honey and it's super tasty. Ask your healthcare provider first though.
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    @dancegurl1118 I just purchased the traditional medicinal red rasberry leaf the 6 packs of 16. You said it only lasts 2 weeks? .... How many bags do you use in your liter ? I was hoping it would last longer than 2 weeks naively.
  • dancegurl1118dancegurl1118 member
    edited May 2015
    @klkonwi I use 6 tea bags per 32 oz that I drink daily. So the 6 boxes of 16 bags only lasts 16 days. That math is correct right? I just bought my second batch of 6 boxes because I have 3 boxes left. And 30 days...so I might have to buy a third batch. Thank god for Amazon prime 2 day shipping.

Just started my 6 dates a day challenge. Not a fan of dates. Should be an interesting month.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Lots of health food stores sell the tea in bulk too. Much cheaper!!
  • btm013btm013 member
    I am 36w5d and am just sitting down to my first cup after reading this thread. I don't mind the taste as is but then again I like most tea! I bought the Earth Mama brand on Amazon. I am nervous though as I don't think I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions yet and I'm scared they will ramp up. Or I might be and have no idea. Can you tell I'm a FTM? Haha Bottoms up!
  • I started drinking the earth mama brand yesterday. I feel no different, but I'm the type of person who likes results right away. I'll give it a little while and see what happens at least it doesn't taste bad.
  • @ktwilki5 I've been drinking a quart for two weeks. It doesn't really change anything, my BH are maybe just a smidge stronger but that could be with time too. If you're looking to see immediate results this will not be a product for you :)
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @dancegurl1118 if it will make contractions more effective I'm willing to drink it.
  • @ktwilki5 can't hurt right? Good luck! I actually love the taste and have no problem sucking down my quart in like 10 minutes.
  • mindaamindaa member
    @dancegurl1118 - I'm impressed that you're committing to the dates, even though you don't like them!  I mean, that study had some interesting findings, but it was pretty small... and conducted in a country that might be looking to increase their date exports ;)

Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• @mindaa after all I see on a daily basis at work I would eat dates for a year with the promise of an easier labor :D
  • Just curious as to how many dates your should eat a day? I've never tried them because I figured they tasted like ass or something. But after consulting Dr. Google on their taste, I read similar to honey. I mean, this has to be correct information since I did read it on the Internet. I'm going to be out running errands today, so I might pick some up.
  • The study has 6. It doesn't say though what kind people ate. There are many different kinds and they would have had access to all of them in Israel. 6 Medjools seem like a lot to me as they are the biggest and very sweet but my midwife said go for it and they are delicious. Deglet Noors are popular here and a good average date, a little drier. I ordered one of the last variety packs from the Date People to make this a little more interesting :)
  • I picked up some dates today, and I have to say that they taste amazing. Can you eat too many? Because I'm finding it really hard to only eat 6. Ha! I had no idea that I would enjoy them so much.
  • There are tons of recipes out there with dates or you can add them to smoothies. Paleo and/or raw food desserts use them a lot, may help you get them down @dancegurl1118
  • @janit368
    Bacon-wrapped, cream cheese-filled dates....I could definitely go for that every day!
  • I was so excited to start drinking the tea but I asked my ob about it earlier this week and she told me not to try anything herbal because there hasn't been many studies done and now I'm bummed I even asked
  • taraperez04taraperez04 member
    edited May 2015
    @klkonwi I figured as much since most doctors aren't usually into herbal remedies. I'm tempted to drink it anyways because of the fact that I love tea and the positive reviews I've read about it but I feel bad for ignoring my doctors orders
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    I do think the tea just tastes like reg iced tea.
  • foxa319foxa319 member
    My doctor also said there is no studies on it's efficacy, but also said what's the harm in trying it! He said the same about evening primrose oil so I started both this week! And I found some dates cookies at homegoods! Haven't tried them yet but they look pretty good and are organic!
  • I could probably drink 5 quarts of this tea a day. I love it iced, plain, with no sweetener. Don't worry I'm only sticking to the one quart...but I seriously love it. I make 3 quarts at a time so I have a few days worth.
  • I struggled drinking it! I didn't like the taste at all. Although, it was a little better cold than hot, but just wasn't my cup of tea. Ha! And I'm actually a tea drinker.
  • I'm still only drinking a cup a day because I am only at 35 weeks. Next week I may go up to 2 cups. I did not tell my Dr I was drinking it. I don't feel like I have to keep it a secret from her... I just keep forgetting to tell her and baby and I are still checking out OK, and I haven't noticed any side effects from my single cup a day so I figure what the hell. I haven't had mine iced yet, I kinda like my warm cup of tea in the evening. I do have to add some honey, tho. I like my tea a little sweet
  • What brand is everyone using?
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    I have yogi ... I love all their teas!
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited May 2015
    I'm using the traditional medicinals. 6-boxes of16 packs for 25 bucks plus shipping made it 33. As recommended per @dancegurl1118
    I'm having my sis search amazon to see if it's cheaper anywhere else.
  • I'm also using traditional medicinals. They sell it at my local grocery so I just pick up a box when I run low as I'm still only using a cup a day.
  • btm013btm013 member
    I definitely noticed an uptake in Braxton hicks after a week - twice a day. Anyone else? :)
  • ElRubyElRuby member
    btm013 said:

I definitely noticed an uptake in Braxton hicks after a week - twice a day. Anyone else? :)

Or it could be they increase as we get closer to our labor.... I like to think we are helping it along though :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    I don't notice anything yet after 3 days. I'll check back in 2 more days
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.