November 2015 Moms
Options

Head is spinning...ultrasound showed brain abnormality

I mentioned a few days ago that I had to see MFM for spotting issues. They did scan, couldn't find any bleeding but did find brain abnormality. The brain doesn't seem to be growing like it should. Dr said there should be a line down the middle and there should be two hemispheres but with my baby the line only goes halfway and the two hemispheres meet, making one hemisphere that resembles a C. I had bloodwork done there to test for trisomy. The dr thinks it may be either trisomy 13 or 18 but doesn't want to diagnose just yet because the brain is still developing. She wasn't hopeful though. She explianed a little about 13 and 18 and that fatality is very common, either in the womb or right after birth. You obviously never think this would happen to you, that's why I've always opted out of testing, but here I am, waiting for test results. They said it can take up to 2 weeks to get the results back but that they would stress that this is urgent so hopefully I'll get the results sooner. I have an ultrasound scheduled for 5/26 but the dr said if I can't wait that long to call and they will fit me in earlier, it's just better to wait the two weeks because we'll get a better ultrasound. Once I have my appointment, the dr will talk about my options. My head is spinning, I'm a mess. I don't understand why this is happening. Neither my husband or I have any family history of this. I guess I'm just looking for support and to see if anyone has been through this.

Re: Head is spinning...ultrasound showed brain abnormality

• Options
    I don't have any experience with this but I am so sorry you're going through this. Truly hoping that the ultrasound in two weeks and the blood work shows that this was nothing more than a scare and that all is well. 

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Options
    BbyB3BbyB3 member
    I don't have any experience with this but I do want to send my prayers and thoughts!!  I understand how scary this is and the waiting must be agony.  However, I firmly believe miracles do happen and you just never know!!  Be strong for baby, thinking of you:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *Hugs* I'm sorry you are in medical limbo right now. I hope that you get the results very quickly and this is just a fluke. You, your husband and family are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    elbouelbou member
    I'm so sorry to hear that! I haven't been through this either, but I will also be praying for strength for you and your hubby and that everything turns out all right. *hugs*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this! I had a loss prior to my current pregnancy due to Trisomy 21. It was all such a shock, no family history, etc. But numerous doctors told me it was just bad luck. I know what it's like to hope and pray so badly that your little one will make it and be ok. Fingers crossed that this is just a scare and all is well.
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with this specifically but I am also in the waiting game for answers so I do understand how scary and stressful it can be when you just want to know if your baby is okay. I'll be praying for you and your little bean that everything on your next US shows to be developing okay and that is was just a scare. Please keep us updated. Positive vibes being sent your way! *Hugs*
  • Options
    maura+cmaura+c member
    I'm in the same boat as the other girls that don't know much about it, but my deepest sympathy for you and your husband. I can only imagine that the next two weeks will be long and drawn out, but you do have the right attitude. Trying to wait and get the best results is what matters. Sending good thoughts, vibes, prayers, etc. hope you can stay positive and know miracles happen everyday.
  • Options
    Hoping the best for you and your little one!!! 

Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry you are dealing with this. We haven't been in this exact situation but did have a loss in dec. that we found out was due to Turner syndrome.

It's hard. Just take it day to day and hope for the best. I know that is hard to do. My thoughts are with you.
    DS- June 2009

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I will be thinking of you during this difficult time! Try not to stress yourself out too much (I know much easier said than done) and hope for a positive outcome! You can do this!
  • Options
    oooonerooooner member
    *hugs*
  • Options
    mmk29mmk29 member
    I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I'm sending lots of love and prayers your way, and I hope this is just a scare and everything turns out to be fine. Good luck! *hug*
  • Options
    Gapeach83Gapeach83 member
    edited May 2015
    Praying for you and the baby. Sorry you are having to go through this.*hug*
  • Options
    ash413ash413 member
    I'm so sorry your going through this
    thinking of you and your H
  • Options
    crysgxcrysgx member
    Prayers for you and your family.
  • Options
    Prayers and sage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Keeping you and your family in my thoughts
    I'm so sorry you're having to go through this.
  • Options
    kestes946kestes946 member
    edited May 2015
    Praying for you and your family. My story is a little different from yours but I do know the agony of having to wait to see if baby is ok or not. In our case we were never able to truly know what was going on until she was born but we knew it was a chromosomal abnormality. So it was a roller coaster ride for my husband and I, and I understand the constant state of worry and the thousands of thoughts flooding your mind. I'm really praying and hoping you get all the answers you need. There's probably nothing I can say to truly help you but know that I'm praying for you.
    My DH and I are expecting our first child! A boy.. we're thrilled :)http://www.thebump.com/profiles/kestes946/settings/avatar/index# BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  I hope things turn out ok and this is just a fluke in the ultrasound machine.  I'll keep you in my thoughts. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    KrisG32KrisG32 member
    Prayers
  • Options
    I know it's hard but stay positive. A friend of mine had something similar along with a brain cyst that showed up at ultrasound. Two weeks later when she went back for her follow up ultrasound everything was ok. Praying for you.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear :( how far along are you?
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. I'm praying for you, your husband, and your baby.
  • Options
    Cardiganmom2Cardiganmom2 member
    edited May 2015
    Wow thanks so much everyone for all of your support, it means a lot, even if you're a bunch of Internet strangers. I've of course just been googling like crazy the past 4 hours. Maybe I'll hear back from my bloodwork that my chance are very low, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, I'm already trying to prepare myself for the worst, that's just the type of person I am. You just never think something like this will happen to you. Sucks. I'm lucky to have a lot of support from my family and friends though. Thanks again everyone.

ETA I'm 13 weeks tomorrow @Ceridwen77
  • Options
    I am so terribly sorry you are going through this, I wish I had more words of wisdom and comfort for you. All I can say is I pray for the best for you and your little one. Stay strong.
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are going through this right now. Prayers go out to you and that little baby!
  • Options
    mamavbsmamavbs member
    Sending you all the love and hope in the world xxx
  • Options
    Thinking of you and your LO. Hope everything turns out just fine.
  • Options
    Like the others I have no experience, but my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Take one day at a time and try to be strong. I could only imagine the confusion you must be going through right now.
  • Options
    Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers
  • Options
    I am sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine the worry and stress you are going through but I do want you to know that we are thinking about you and will say an extra prayer for a healthy baby.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. This could happen to any of us. I also opted out of the screenings but now I have to wait until nearly 20 weeks to see if my baby is healthy. We can't live in fear... take one day at a time. Google likely won't help in this case because right now you don't have any decisions to make. Until your doctor gives you your results, you just have to breathe and keep moving forward. I know that it so much easier said than done. Try do do healthy things to ease your worry - distract, pray, meditate, take a walk, etc. If googling helps, that's fine, but if it's stressing you out more, walk away. Good luck, mama. Will be thinking and praying for your little one. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about this. Must be very scary for you and your husband right now. I hope everything will turn out for the best.

BabyGaga

• Options
    I'm so sorry, can't imagine what you're going through. I really hope you get some positive news.
  • Options
    JLW0504JLW0504 member
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. We're all here for you. If you need to shout, talk, deliver flavorful 4 letter words, we got you.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg

• Options
    Elle jMElle jM member
    I'll be thinking of you! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thinking of you and sending you hugs!
    Try to step away from Google and keep your mind occupied with other things for the next few weeks. We are here for you.
  • Options
    I am so sorry you're dealing with this! Thoughts and prayers are with you. Hoping for good news from your doctor!
  • Options
    Fingers crossed that everything works out. :( and sending much love and hugs your way!