Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Are There Any Safe Lie-Flat Car Seats Where Newborns Can Spend Longer Periods of Time?

Hello everyone! I am trying to figure out what one will need for the first baby, and I got stuck at the very first question, the strollers and the like, so I would be grateful for your advice.

I think that most of our outings in the beginning would consist of a very short car ride (a few kilometers) plus a walk in a park or a visit of a friend where the baby would hopefully continue sleeping in the car seat, plus the ride back. I was hoping to get a car seat which connects to a frame, so I don't need to move the baby from a car seat to a stroller after a 10 minutes' ride, and then do the same on the way back. BUT it looks like most car seats are not recommended for longer periods for the small babies ..

Are lie-flat car seats the solution?  Are they safe during the car travel and are they healthy for the small babies even if they spend many hours in them during the day (outside of the car)? Is it better to get a car seat which is upright when placed in the car and only goes down to flat when used outside of the car (I have seen that something like this existed in some older discussions)? Can anyone recommend any particular models ? 

I plan to get a group 1 car seat and a jogging/cycling stroller when the baby is big enough for them (like 9-12 months), but I think I will mostly leave the house with a car, so the car seat + frame seems like the best and sufficient option for the first few months .. provided it would be healthy for the baby. Please correct me if I am wrong :-)

Many thanks!

Re: Are There Any Safe Lie-Flat Car Seats Where Newborns Can Spend Longer Periods of Time?

• Options

First off, you are totally overthinking this! Your baby isn't even here yet and not all babies sleep like angels in car seats. My baby screamed bloody murder in the car seat for the first 3 months. You don't want to leave your baby in a car seat, or similar contraption for long. That rule of thumb is there for a reason.

I have this travel set and I love it:

https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Compact-Travel-System-Granita/dp/B00DJP12YQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1430148025&sr=1-2&keywords=chicco+travel+system+stroller+and+car+seat

And honestly, I never have my daughter in her car seat unless we are riding in the car. I prefer to wear her in the Ergo. She already has a flat spot on the back of her head so I try to limit the time she spends on her back.

• Options
    I will say that my daughter hates the infant car seats. We ended just getting a convertible and a stroller that has a bassinet option. She doesn't hate the convertible as much but the rides have to stay short lol
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only lie-flat car seats I know of are car beds, and they are used occasionally to transport a newborn home if they have special issues. They really are not very safe way to travel. I'm guessing by some of the language used in your post that you are in Europe, and I am not familiar with European seats, but your baby needs a rear facing seat.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    My son has a mild form of Pierre Robin syndrome (Breathing issues), and babies with more of a severe case will have to go in "car beds". I'm not sure what the brand is, but ppl get prescriptions from their Dr. So they do exist but I'm not sure if it's recommended that babies who don't actually need the special assistance go in them.
  • Options
    bunnyabunnya member
    We initially had a baby trend inertia carseat which had a very reclined newborn position that had a safety mechanism in the event of an accident. We returned it though because we wanted more options for strollers to choose from. I don't think they make the inertia model anymore, we got it on clearance back in October.
    Me 26 DH 31. Off oral contraception since 1/2012. Actively TTC # 1 since 4/2012. CD3 bloodwork, hsg normal 6/2013. SA performed 7/2013 - low count, low motility. First RE appointment 9/4/2013. Were told SA not good enough for IUI. Repeat SA and additional bloodwork ordered. RE suggests DH see a urologist. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e32d9/thumb.png