March 2015 Moms
Options

constipation?

4 week old hasn't pooped in 3 days, when is it a problem? He still eats constantly and wets plenty of diapers. He eats only breast milk plus a 3 oz bottle of formula at night. Any advice to help him go? We bicycle his legs, rub his tummy, etc

Re: constipation?

• Options

Our pediatrician said it is not a problem until they haven't pooped in a week. 

• Options
    My little guy was constipated too he had not went in three days as well and it seemed like it upset him a lot my doctor told me to do an once of water and an once of regular prune juice not the baby kind. So I did and nothing still same problems. He as well gave me plenty of wet diapers and that's why they wasn't to worried. But I knew it something was wrong I could tell by him so I talk with other moms and they told me Karo syrup doctor tell you not to but I did and it didn't hurt him but still nothing I also tried the gas drops and rectal temp and as well Bicycle his legs and nothing then I remember reading this packet they gave me to keep track of his shoot and they give you different scenarios of what ifs and I seen one that was what if baby constipated and it said give him two once of plain water so I stopped everything I was doing and just done that and it done GREAT now he has no problem giving me dirty smelly diapers ☺️
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also make sure it's warmed a little bit not cold water
  • Options
    _JRG__JRG_ member

Our pediatrician said it is not a problem until they haven't pooped in a week. 

My pedi told me this too. My DD doesn't poop everyday. The pedi said she is using the breast milk efficiently and that's why she doesn't poo every day. I keep a close watch on wet diapers.
  • Options
    I've been told the same thing - not to worry if she's peeing a lot and it's been less than a week. My doc, when we took her after a week, wasn't concerned at all and only gave her baby herbal laxative when she was strained - otherwise he would've let her carry on as it is a sign of them using the milk properties efficiently.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. My doc just called back and said not to worry myself but if I wanted to help stimulate him to use a rectal thermometer. Will try if he doesn't go by evening
  • Options
    https://www.fridababy.com/shop/windi-for-gas-relief/

These are miracle workers...i used them with my son when he was a newborn...
  • Options
    Rectal thermometer worked every time with my now 4 year old.
  • Options
    Our daughter was having problems and our pediatrician had us give her 2tablespoons of prune juice in her bottle a day. One in the morning and one at night. That with the warm baths helped get things moving and regular.
  • Options
    Will be 5 days this evening, tried rectal thermometer last night and again just now. Crossing my fingers
  • Options
    Enfamil Reguline will help stop constipation. My son was constipated since be was 2wks old. I recently been giving him Enfamil Reguline and he's pooped every day. At least 3x daily. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Will the reguline work if he only gets it once a day? I breastfeed aside from one time daily so I can pump and sleep a bit? He gets the infant formula at bedtime usually. I'm starting to wonder if vitamin drops are to blame as there seems to be a correlation between when I started multi vitamin with fluoride and his lack of bm. He gets them in a dropper... over 5 days now so I'm very concerned. If he doesn't go soon the doc won't just be hearing from me but seeing me
  • Options
    My 6 week old didn't go for 6 days when he was 3 weeks & we took him to the doctor & the doctor said that as log as he was eatig and gaining weight it was okay & that some babies don't go everyday.. & the dr also said to get children suppositories & cut it in to 4s.. By day 8 of no poop, r
  • Options
    It worked great.*
  • Options
    Just an update: after eight long days doctor ordered glycerin suppository and it worked in ten minutes! So happy to see poop! Starting to wonder if the vitamin drops with fluoride could be what blocked him up and will definitely be asking at our next visit
  • Options
    It should.
  • Options
    Honestly the more healthy thing to do is change your own diet. If my kid has problems, I up my fiber intake (fruits and veggies), and she is half a day behind whatever hits me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    KD32412KD32412 member

Honestly the more healthy thing to do is change your own diet. If my kid has problems, I up my fiber intake (fruits and veggies), and she is half a day behind whatever hits me.

Thank you for this! I guess for others it comes down to what is healthy or easy.
  • Options
    You can rub olive oil or coconut oil on his stomach. Up from the hip on his right side, across to his left side just under his ribs, then down to his hip on his left. His bowels are shaped like the top of a box and with you doing this motion it's moving things along :) works wonders for my son with BM and gas!