Preemies

Messy bottle feedings?

I'm so delighted to share that my LO is HOME! He came home yesterday with no complications, the day before his due date! 

We're on 60mls/2oz of 27 calorie supplemented breastmilk for at least 6-7 of his feedings during the day (I can breastfeed once or twice until he starts gaining more weight, then more breast!), and he's eagerly taking a bottle and finishing everything, but he's a MESS with the bottle, dribbling and spilling. It's hard to tell if he's getting enough actually in his tummy!

On the contrary, at the breast he's a very tidy eater!

Any thoughts? Nipple suggestions?
Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!

Re: Messy bottle feedings?

• My guy is the same way. We just had to experiment with nipples until we found the one with the least amount of spillage for him. Ended up with a Dr Brown Level 1 nipple. It was strange that it worked better for him than the slower preemie nipple but whatever works! Good luck and congrats!
  • Miraculously he seems to have mastered the bottle! We're also using Dr. Brown's. We're still on the preemie nipple, and he's taking 3oz at a feeding, almost every three hours!
    Ben Louis, born March 20, 2015 @ 11:50PM. Delivered by c-section at 32 weeks and 6 days due to mother's pre-eclampsia. Doing brilliantly in NICU!

Handstamped, custom jewelry from Charmedseed... grown just for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • We couldn't find any nipples that worked. I ended up ordering the hospital disposable nipples and those are the only ones my twins don't drool everywhere on...