School-Aged Children

Tooth fairy going rate

DesignermommaDesignermomma member
edited May 2015 in School-Aged Children
My son lost his first tooth today and caught me by surprise. I asked him how much money he thought the tooth fairy would leave him and he said 2 gold coins (There is a YoGabbaGabba episode about the tooth fairy and that is what he gets.) I happen to have a few Gold dollar coins so I left those but I'm not sure if I could keep that up (I mean there are 20 baby teeth) or only do that for the first tooth and then change it later. What do you do?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tooth fairy going rate

• We've been giving $1 for each tooth. I wanted to spray the dollars with glitter spray so it had more of a tooth fairy effect but I completely forgot and she lost her first tooth. The gold coin is a super cute idea!! :)
  • If you want to keep up the "gold coins" tradition, you can buy a roll of them at your bank.  My FIL has a tradition of giving each grandchild a golden dollar at every visit.  He just picks up a roll of them every so often.

Around here the tooth fairy brings $2 for the first tooth and $1 for subsequent teeth (unless she forgets -- yikes!)  This was fine until my kids got old enough to compare notes and understand money.  DD had a friend who got $20/tooth!!!  I was ready to call those parents up and complain about the bad precedent they were setting!!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! I picked up a roll of Gold dollars at the bank the other day. I'm ready for the next 19 teeth! :)
  • My DD also told me that the tooth fairy brought gold coins. I think $1 a tooth makes sense and I work for a bank so it's easy enough to stop at the branch and get the dollar coins.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• My daughter said a gold coin as well...we leave her change; lots of coins. Now she calls it treasure. Lmao
  • Our kids aren't losing teeth yet, but my niece is getting $5/tooth.
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son (6) lost his first tooth about a month ago. We thought he would get coins as well. We gave him $5. He was ecstatic
  • What a cute idea using the "gold coins".  We gave $10 or the first tooth, and $5 for each one there after. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Love the gold coin idea! Definitely doing that! Also @jesslynnw90 I love the glitter idea too!
  • The gold coin idea is super cute! We have 2 kids, the amount of money is always changing, but they usually get roughly a dollar in change. They practice counting money that way. However I don't enjoy pulling their teeth out so if they pull their own tooth they receive a little more. Lol I once forgot!! Yikes that was sad, and I told my son the dog probably scared the tooth fairy away. I felt guilty and gave a bit more the next night and started setting an alarm as soon as tooth is out for 11 or later so I can't forget or fall asleep and miss it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We give a gift for the first tooth, and whatever we have for the rest.  Sometimes it's a $5 or $10, sometimes a $20.  DH thinks it's important to be equal, so he gives the little sister the same amount for "being a good brusher".  
  • $20/a tooth????  

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • $20/a tooth????  
    I know, right?  I was horrified!

I am SO excited because my youngest kid, who is 12, lost his FINAL baby tooth this summer.  FWIW, he has known that the tooth fairy is me for a while now, but I told him I would still allow him to extort a dollar from me every time he lost a tooth.

Don't get me wrong, I was a pretty good tooth fairy when he was 5ish.  But of all the imaginary creatures I've had to pretend to be, the Tooth Fairy is the one I find to be the hardest. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to do her job over the years.  Ugh.  I finally just told my youngest to stop putting the tooth under the pillow and just ask for his dollar.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I'd rather be Mrs. Claus any day than the fairy.  I'm a really good Mrs. Claus.  When I get those Santa presents under the tree, you would SWEAR that Santa was real. The tooth fairy just stresses me out.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • DD got $20 and the boys got $10.  lol :blush:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have two kids that are both losing teeth at the same time. They each get $1/tooth. DH gave them each $5 for their first tooth and then the Tooth Fairy wrote a note that explained that was a one-time thing!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers