August 2015 Moms
Options

Grandparent name

Mil is wanting to be called "granmommy" not sure why but it is really rubbing me the wrong way. This is the first grand child on both mine and hubs families, I just really wanted mommy (and all mommy sound-a-likes) I can just see my baby saying mommy and her being like "oh my gosh did he just say granmommy?" Type thing. I'd really appreciate yalls opinions on the matter, am I being super over reactive hormal pregnant girl or would this a valid concern? Any other cute grandmother names you want to throw out there, please feel free! I'm open to suggestions!!

Re: Grandparent name

• Options
    I don't really get how you want suggestions on what your child will call his/her grandmother. I don't know...some things aren't a big deal to me and this is one of those things. I,personally, think you're overreacting here.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    lol granmommy would probably bug me too actually, and its really, really long for a LO to start saying. Would she settle for just grammy? That's what my MIL ended up deciding she wanted mainly because Grandma+ her last name reminded her too much of her MIL. :) And it was a big deal for her. I remember her debating multiple names for a long time before finally deciding on one, so try to be gentle if you talk to her about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lap018lap018 member
    Right, I am looking for some cute options maybe some of your kids call their grandmothers to bring to the table for her, I don't want to just be like ummmm no. Lol! Grammy is cute! I'll see what she thinks about it! It might just be our relationship that is making me uber territorial about it I don't know lol! Thank you both for your input!
  • Options
    I call my grandmother grandmama and my other grandmother was nana. My parents really don't mind what my LO calls them. We are having the first grandchild as well. I wouldn't have a problem if my child wanted to call my mom grandmommy. Your little one will know who his mom is.
  • Options
    My mom is going with Nanna and my MIL is going with Grammie
  • Options
    I could see my mom doing something like this, but she was set on being called Granny, which is what we called my maternal grandmother and great grandmother so it was tradition. My MIL is called Grammy, which is what my nieces have called her for years. There are so many options out there. I personally don't like the sounds of granmommy, and I can't say that I've ever heard anyone use it before.
  • Options
    lap018lap018 member
    She has mentioned going with nana and granny previously, but she refers to herself as granmommy with my dog #-o so I guess it's my own fault for not saying anything then but I didn't think about it when it came to my fur baby that that would be the name she gives herself forever!! Oy vey!
  • Options
    Nona
    Mi-ma
    Yaya

That is what some of my friends and family go by.
  • Options
    My husbands grandma is Momo, his mom is Grammy, my grandma is G-ma and my mom is MawMaw, and I'm Mama. Some of them are so close (especially out the mouth of a 2yr old), that we all answer to the same name depending on the child saying it.  LOL!  It bothered me at first, but honestly it's just not that big of a deal in the long run. 

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My kids are learning to talk now and call me "mum". I've always said mommy, mom, momma but they say mum, which I'm good with. I think kids decide some of these things for themselves but yes, obviously some names can and are specifically taught. I agree that grandmommy is a little weird, but by the time LO is old enough to be taught this name (probably only by her) you may not feel as hormonal or weird about it since your LO will have been calling you mommy for ages longer! My mom goes my grandma, my MIL goes by Oma.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Grandmommy is weird, and like others have said, very long for a child! I think children will ultimately decide what they are comfortable with.
  • Options
    I can see where you are coming from.

My mom and dad just want to be Grandma and Grandad. The traditional grandparent names make my MIL "feel old" so she is trying to find something more fun. Her current favorite is Lolly (for her) and Pop (for FIL). I think the cutesie names are kinda dumb...

Whatever your MIL "wants" to be called though, will be subject to what your LO can pronounce/will call her :)

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
  • Options
    Seh114Seh114 member
    My mom wanted to be called gram. The youngest 2 grandkids call her doody (no idea where it came from). My gtandma was always granny until my son couldn't say it so now we call her nanny. Kids will call them whatever the can say.
  • Options
    I think granmommy sounds... weird. I don't think you're overreacting, because given the relationship I currently have with MIL-if she told me she wanted to be called granmommy I would have freaked out on her.

I would try suggesting Grammy.
  • Options
    I also am not crazy about grand mommy. I think it would be best if you could find something you both like. Neither my mom or her mom loved grandma so both have names based on their actually names.

- Mimi (Marilyn - my mom)
    - Lulu (Louise - my grandmother)

Don't know what your MILs name is but that could be a starting point

• Options
    I have to agree that Granmommy is long and a mouthful.  I have a feeling your child will end up calling her something else anyway.  My mom passed away suddenly 2 1/2 years ago, but DS always called her by her first name.  LOL  He was only 2 when she passed, but he still refers to her by her first name.  :)  She actually loved it because she felt too old for the traditional names, and he sounded so cute when he said it!  Her "official" name was Grammie, though, and my dad is Granddad.  My maternal grandparents are Nanny and Granda.  What about something ethnic?  My paternal grandmother was always Memere, but now we call her Gran Memere because my mother-in-law is Memere.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kedbachkedbach member
    I agree with @Chryssa-72603 in that it is a mouthful, and I also agree with you on the "mommy" thing! My mom said "grandma" to my oldest brother and he spit out "gaga", so we all went with it, and Nana on the other side! So my child will most likely say the same for her great grandmas! My mom goes by MiMi to my niece. She calls her other grandma honey, which is weird to me, but to each their own! I think it's something that the child can either decide, or not something you need to immediately stress over since it will be awhile before she babbles!
  • Options
    I don't feel like you are overreacting. My MIL suggested she be called Big Mama. I'm not kidding. I would be upset if she suggested her name consit of the words mom, momma, or mommy. She has settled on Nonnie and my mom will be MiMi.
  • Options
    My kids chose bugga for my mom. I don't know where it came from but they picked it and it's stuck since then they are now 8 and 6 and she's still bugga. My bfs mom is Lela and my kids father's mom is grandma (her first name). Even if someone picks what they want to be called doesn't mean the kid will call them that. My grandma on my dad's side was Grammy.
  • Options
    My MIL goes by Ma-Ma (Cantonese) so I don't think you can complain!
  • Options
    I think granmommy just sounds dumb. I think it's appropriate to let the kids decide what to call them. This is what my niece and nephew started with my parents and we just continued it. My parents are nana and papa and my husband's parents are just grandma and grandpa. Nothing fancy.

• Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    MIL is Nonna and FIL is Poppy - I believe the German names for the grandparents.

I don't think I've ever heard Granmommy. It's a mouthful. Why not just Gran or Granny?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lap018lap018 member
    I don't know, honestly I think she's still not ready to be the "grandmother" and not the mommy. But she'll have to get over it, I'm mommy now, she had her years it's my turn lol! All of these are great suggestions! I'm making a list! Thank you all!
  • Options
    I have found that children decide what they will call people. My cousin's kids call their maternal grandmother Memaw. The eldest child named her. My niece asked (at 3 years of age) if she could call my dad's wife granny. She calls my mom grandma. She wanted to call herself Grambo, but it didn't stick. My dear friend's child named her grandparents Oomah and Oompah. Smile when she calls herself that, and gently remind her that children often come up with their own names and titles; that she never knows what special name your child may endear her with- and never call her that yourself. Shorten it to gran. If she asks why, tell her the truth- you're mommy. Versions of mommy don't just roll off your tongue for anyone other than yourself.
  • Options
    My MIL and FIL are Amma and ampa, varaiations of oma and opa. Truthfully, it'll be whatever baby decides to call them.
  • Options
    It's ultimately up to the child what they want to call their grandparents in the long run I think. My three year old has different names for all of hers now haha