February 2015 Moms
Options

My baby HATES car seat/car rides!!

She will cry cry cry herself to sleep! My other 3 kids use to love car rides! But this baby sure is different from them. Gabriella will be 2 months old tomorrow. It stresses me out to be driving and hear her cry uncontrollably. Nothing soothes her-not talking to her, not her pacifier, not even music! Any one else have this stress? Someone to talk to would be nice.

Re: My baby HATES car seat/car rides!!

• Options
    I have same problem as yours, nothing soothes her except the boobs (cause im breastfeeding)..i dnt even want to drive because its frustrating hearing her cry.. I feed her before putting her to her carseat, she is ok for few minutes then eventually she will cry on top of her lungs then sleep..
  • Options
    Hopefully it's something they outgrow!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby girl starts screaming anytime the car isn't moving and refuses to be in the car seat of were not in the car which makes it really hard to try and run errands around town. I've resorted to using a baby carrier anytime I go to the grocery store or anything. I don't understand why she's so opposed to the car seat and I'm starting to wonder if I need to invest in one with more padding or might be more comfortable. Definitely know what your goin thru momma. Hopefully it's just a stage for the lil ones that they'll get over soon :)
  • Options
    @kcofrin- That's exactly how my baby is! I also keep a baby carrier with me at all times and put it to use. But I must say in these past few days (since my post) she's been a bit better about it but not where we enjoy car rides with her yet.
  • Options
    My older daughter was like that. I used to drive around with my arm reaching back for her to suck on my finger. She grew out of it after a few months. As her eyesight and hand coordination improved she could entertain herself better. For errands, I would do two laps speed walking around the grocery store to put her to sleep before hitting the checkout.
  • Options
    My baby also hates the car seat/ride. I also started using a carrier while running errands - which he loves!! Sometimes static on the radio will soothe him. Something to try if your baby likes white noise. He's getting much better and now will occasionally sleep.
  • Options
    Try attaching a toy to the car seat handlebar that rattles as you drive. The bright start take along toy bar works for my baby as long as she's distracted by the rattling and flashing light. It doesn't always work but so far it's helped the most.
  • Options
    I thought my baby was the one one who doesn't like the car. She's ok in the car seat if there's a toy mobile attached but once we get in the car she screams like a maniac. I learned that we can't go for a drive more that 10 minutes or I'll be tearing my hair out from her screams.
  • Options
    OMG exact same thing with my guy! I try to leave space at red lights so I can inch-break-inch-break so he thinks we're still moving LOL! Glad I'm not the only mom with this problem!
  • Options
    My boy has days where he's okay and falls asleep but if he's not sleeping he is crying and it is aweful. We are moving in 3 weeks and we have a 22 hour drive
  • Options
    Lol! I have to do the way-far-back-red-light-roll too!! People must think im crazy cause i stop like half a mile from the light so i can slow roll up to it whole praying for a green. Not sure why he hates stopping so much but its the same in a carrier. I have to be in CONSTANT motion until he falls asleep.
  • Options
    My little girl is exactly the same, I tell people she has road rage...she HATES red lights! I try and trick her too by braking and moving all the way to the red light, she has cottoned on though so the screaming starts again!!! Looking forward to the day she stops doing it and I can get back to singing to the radio :0)
  • Options
    My little man hates his car seat too! He usually cries himself to sleep but when that doesn't work he just screams the whole time. I do the red light thing too! He also hates being inward facing in a baby carrier so I'm looking to invest in an outward facing carrier to see if that works. I just carry him around when I'm doing errands. Here's his neck pads in his car seat all tear stained! Poor baby!
  • Options
    mrlarprmrlarpr member
    riss0185 said:

My little man hates his car seat too! He usually cries himself to sleep but when that doesn't work he just screams the whole time. I do the red light thing too! He also hates being inward facing in a baby carrier so I'm looking to invest in an outward facing carrier to see if that works. I just carry him around when I'm doing errands. Here's his neck pads in his car seat all tear stained! Poor baby!

The AAP recommends that children under 2 years of age be in rear facing seats. It's something like 75% less likely for a child under 2 to die or be severely injured in an accident if they're in a rear facing seat. He may not like it but it's much safer.
  • Options
    @larby214 I think she means a carrier that you wear, not the car seat carrier. As in he would rather face out away from her body instead of facing her.
  • Options
    @larby214 I should have clarified a carrier for babywearing! He is in a rear facing car seat. :)
  • Options
    Same here!!! I've started doing all my errands before 9am. It's the only thing I've found that works. But she has two older brothers and when I pick them up from school or do my many other taxi duties during the afternoon, she screams and screams. She doesn't even cry herself to sleep. It's heartbreaking and maddening. I added a larger mirror and a sheet of fabric on the backseat. That helped for the first 5 minutes.
    Hopefully all our little ones will grow out of this very soon.
  • Options
    My son is 3 months old and he hates riding in the car. Well he has his days. Last weekend we took a trip to Chicago and he screamed almost the entire way there. He also doesn't sleep well in his seat no matter what. I think 20 minutes is the longest he's slept in the car. It's strange because my first was not like this at all. I hope he gets over hating the car soon!