Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

diaper rash-need help

My daughter developed jaundice soon after birth. She's doing well but has developed a diaper rash. I just found out that the bilirubin being excreted is very irritating to the skin. She's only a week old and the diaper rash cream with zinc isn't helping. She still has her umbilical cord so I can't really soak her in water. Any suggestions?

Re: diaper rash-need help

• Options
    Try coconut oil.
  • Options
    Make sure to air it out some during the day without diaper and make sure area is dry before applying anything so it's not just trapping more moisture
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This might sound really odd but I use Crisco on my lo's tush...I used it with my son, and now with my DD...she is 5 weeks old and had not had diaper rash yet. It goes on easy and wipes off quickly...not like the pasty stuff that feels like you have to rub is off. I also use Crisco on super chapped lips lol Might be weird but something my mom used with me and my brother and it has been a life saver! I just store it in a little salad dressing Tupperware and can pop it in my diaper bag on our way out ;)
  • Options
    Aquaphor
  • Options
    Mix half aquaphor and half maalox liquid, try to whip it into a fluffy paste. The nurses gave this to my newborn when he got a terrible diaper rash from antibiotics.
  • Options
    I like using A&D ointment.
  • Options
    Using wipes for sensitive skin after every change- wet or messy, and allowing the skin to air dry before rediapering or use a washcloth to dab the moisture away the moisture before the diaper. We use Live Clean's diaper cream on a daily basis which is super soothing, hypoallergenic and 80% plant based and when she gets any signs of a flare up then we use the La Roche Posay cicaplast baume b5.. it has antibacterial benefits which is good for preventing infections but it's superrrrr moisturizing and soothing which is good for red, sore skin (plus it can be used anywhere on the face body for any sort of dryness or irritation). Avoid using petroleum jelly or products with a lot of mineral oil as they don't allow the skin to breathe 
  • Options
    Aquaphor works wonders
  • Options
    My baby got a horrible rash at 4 days old and I used only water and cloth wipes, let it dry (tummy time on a towel), and put cornstarch on. It cleared up in 3 days!