Eco-Friendly Family

Makeup

I don't often wear makeup, but when I do I had been wearing Bare Minerals. I recently looked this up on the Skin Deep website and will no longer be using. Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar that is safe? I'm mainly interested in something comparable to the Mineral Veil, as I wore that most often, but am interested in any recommendations. Thanks!

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

Re: Makeup

• I switched to mineral makeup after being a loyal Cliniqu user for years but their skin care line gave me a horrible reaction that left me with inflamed skin (to the point that people wondered if i had been burned) and scared.  I did a lot of research and decided to try a company called Terra Firma Cosmetics that is a small business out of Washington.  Google them.  They make fantastic products and are actually cheaper than Bare Minerals per ounce.  If you call them they are great at giving advise and info about their products.  I not use their products almost exclusively on my face (the only exception is my face wash and night cream which is from a local organic company.  
  • What is wrong with Bare Minerals make up? I thought it ranked pretty safe on the Skin Deep database...*going to check again now*...

• Loading the player...
  • This is a bit late, but thought I'd share. I did a search and found that Korres makes a mineral makeup that ranks 1/10 on the hazard scale on the Skin Deep Cosmetics site. I haven't used it but I've ordered it to try. The product is the same idea, mineral loose powder, so I believe application is the same. Some items from bareMinerals are still safe to use (some things rank low 1/10, like their bronzers).

• I use Everyday Minerals and love it and the price is great.
  • Check out the 100% pure range of products - I love all that I use

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• I used MakeUp Forever and MAC for years, so I am a performance snob. Tarte has been my step down from the insanely artificial and scores in the green on EWG SkinDeep.
    Also MUCH less irritating to acne prone skin than mineral products.
  • I love Tarte and Josie Maran. Bare Minerals makes my break out like crazy bc if the talc powder and the goat hair in their brushes.
    Married 5/5/12 ~ Miscarried @ 6wks 7/1/13 ~ Has Pacemaker ~ Due May 7th
  • https://www.etsy.com/listing/152107145/mineral-makeup-organic-vegan-option-rice?ref=pr_faveitems

Check out Borne Cosmetics. This rice powder finishing veil is amazing!

I also use Tarte and Josie Maran because there is a Sephora a few blocks away from my office and I love the convenience of walking over there on a lunch break when I need something. But I also really like to order from Borne. 
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I second The All Natural Face!  Not on the skin deep website, but you can look up the ingredients and they're low ranked.  Small, American business, good prices, made fresh.  www.theallnaturalface.com
  • I used Bare Minerals for years, then when DH and I decided to try for a family I decided it was time for a serious overhaul of my beauty products.  I used EWG Skin Deep database for suggestions and have been using Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Talc-free Correcting Formula (works as a foundation and "finishing veil" in one). It really evens out my skin tone, and with just a little blush on top and some under-eye concealer I'm good to go.
  • Lurking....
    AlmostexactlyBlog.wordpress.com has done a lot of research on this, and had several posts you might enjoy! (Actual research to boot) I wore bare minerals too. Seeing her posts let me know you can still wear makeup that's good food you, and not break the bank!

• I love everything by Eve Organics - similar to Bare Essentials but better for you :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I second @butrfly110 - Everyday Minerals is awesome. I like the Jojoba Base best, it's perfect for skin with dry spots because it doesn't emphasize them or look powdery when applied properly. Also, they have an awesome personalized sample set, all you pay is shipping ($2.50 ish for me). Then when you find your color you can grab a 3-piece custom set (I chose a base, the flat top brush, and a concealer) for about the price of one jar of Bare Minerals. It's pretty sweet :)
  • Inika Cosmetics are great!  It's a mineral powder and rated level 1 on EWG's Skin Deep.  They're an Australian company but have a U.S. site and you can also order from Blush.com or Dermstore.com for free shipping depending on where you're at.
    Also, 100% Pure is awesome for light coverage.  It's a pressed powder.
    Cover FX isn't as pure as the two above, but better than MAC and rated level 2 on EWG's Skin Deep.  I love it.  It's more full coverage.  I use the pressed mineral foundation.
    ME: 27  ||  DH:  28
    TTC #1 since August 2013

MC#1 11/2013 @ 7 weeks
    MC#2 02/2014 @ 6 weeks
    MC#3 08/2014 @ 5 weeks
    D&C 10/2014
    Referred to RE 10/2014
    Pregnant 12/2014

Anniversary
  • Beeyoutiful and Ava Anderson Non-Toxic. 
  • I'm all for 100% Pure and Tarte! I use Tarte's mascara daily, and I really like their 12-hour wear foundation. 
    100% pure has a great concealer, eyebrow wax, and lip/cheek tints
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    24-year-old | FTM | CA, US | Multi-cultural & Proud | Hippie Dippie Crunchy Veggie Yogini
    Our little bean's birthday 05.14.15
  • LaurenNKLaurenNK member
    edited May 2015
    I third Everyday Minerals!
    I've been with them since they only had like 6 foundation shades.  You can't beat the price on their sample kit (just pay shipping, $4 last I did it).
    Neat trick I've started doing in the last week:  1/2 pea-size facial serum + 2 drops jojoba oil + pea-size of my powder mineral foundation.  I mix it in my palm, then dab all around face and blend with an "airbrushing" brush instead of my kabuki.  It's nice and moisturizing, not quite dewey, and feels so nice.  

ETA: Everyday Minerals was started by a single mom in Texas :)  I don't know how much of her early blog is on the site still, but I've enjoyed watching her and the company grow, knowing that the 4-ingredient foundations were USA-made (same as all other products there, except maybe the brushes?).  They are constantly coming out with new colors.
    TTC April 2012 
    BFP: Valentine's Day 2015!!!
    DUE:  late October 2015