December 2015 Moms
Options

Looks like it's goodbye

my doctor confirmed yesterday that I will be for sure induced at 37 weeks and most likely c-section... That puts my induction date around November 19 instead of December 10. It was nice getting to know you ladies, good luck to all of you and I hope you all have sticky babies, fast and easy deliveries and good pregnancies! I'll be jumping to the November board now. I'll check in with you guys from time to time tho. <3

Re: Looks like it's goodbye

• Options
    Geez you can't post a title like that. You scared me! Congrats on your November baby. ;)

We said goodbye to our sweet Taylor Ashley on August 8, 2012.We lost baby Noelle on May 1, 2015

Mom to Cam and Al, now expecting baby number 3, August 2016. Praying for lots of sticky baby dust!
  • Options
    Good luck with that! They're pretty brutal over there so I recommend you read posts first. And use the search option a lot! They don't like double posting. I'm on both boards since I will probably have a November baby too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also curious how your doctor knows you will be induced at 37 weeks.?

• Options
    O goodness please just stay here! lol I just picked a random thread over there and it is awful! They are so rude and mean!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    otowns said:

Why is he doing that? I would like to ask my doctor to do the same.

I'm sure she's got a good medical reason for it. Most doctors won't induce at that date for no reason.

We said goodbye to our sweet Taylor Ashley on August 8, 2012.We lost baby Noelle on May 1, 2015

Mom to Cam and Al, now expecting baby number 3, August 2016. Praying for lots of sticky baby dust!
  • Options
    I'm so glad it's just you being early. Please stick around whenever you miss us!
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    otowns said:

otowns said:

I'm sure she's got a good medical reason for it. Most doctors won't induce at that date for no reason.
    Many women have planned csections at earlier dates than 40 weeks. I will ask my doc about it. There are conflicting studies but it seems that 37 weeks is the magic number for safe delivery. Again -conflicting studies but I will see where my doctor stands on it.
    I'm sorry but there's no way that's true. My son was born at 37 weeks and had a lot of issues because we weren't quite to full term. 37 is considered early term now and doctors definitely want you to go as long as you can to give baby time to develop. I'd love to know what research your looking at.

• Options
    otowns said:

otowns said:

otowns said:

Many women have planned csections at earlier dates than 40 weeks. I will ask my doc about it. There are conflicting studies but it seems that 37 weeks is the magic number for safe delivery. Again -conflicting studies but I will see where my doctor stands on it.
    I'm sorry but there's no way that's true. My son was born at 37 weeks and had a lot of issues because we weren't quite to full term. 37 is considered early term now and doctors definitely want you to go as long as you can to give baby time to develop. I'd love to know what research your looking at.
    Various studies done which is why I clearly wrote conflicting studies..twice. Two of my coworkers had their planned csections at 38 weeks simply because they didn't like the due dates. My friends doctor would not allow it when she asked. My previous doctor refused to induce my labour until 42 weeks. Again every doc, person, and preg is different. No need to get worked up about it lol!
    Having a csection scheduled because you don't like the due date is ridiculous. And yes I'm getting worked up because this is a board where moms come to look for advice and you wrote something that is absolutely not true.

I'm sure there are doctors who would do that but I would question what kind of doctor they are.

• Options
    The article that you posted states that anything before 39 weeks is early term, so I'm still confused on why you would say that 37 or 38 weeks was ideal?

Here's how expectant mothers should now expect doctors to describe
    the last possible weeks of pregnancy (counted from the first day of a
    woman's last menstrual period, but sometimes adjusted after an
    ultrasound):

• Early term: Between 37 weeks 0 days and 38 weeks, six days

• Full term: Between 39 weeks and 40 weeks, six days

• Late term: Between 41 weeks and 41 weeks, six days

• Post term: 42 weeks and beyond

This article supports what @revlaurawittman has been saying.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    redfallon said:

40 weeks is the magic number for safe delivery :)>-

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get the baby out if there isn't a medical reason for early delivery? Let the baby cook in there as long as it is safe. I was induced at just over 41 weeks because I didn't want to go to 42 weeks, which is as long as my OB would let someone. I told her I'd go to 41 weeks, but not 42 weeks. I know that the last few weeks are tough, but that baby is still developing from 37-40 weeks.

I completely agree with the ladies who want the baby to cook! Why would anyone want the baby to come early there are so many reasons why it's wrong! And If there isn't a medical reason for early delivery a doctor won't be delivering early.

There is only one person on here saying they want the baby to come early. So I'm not sure what you mean by "everyone" is in a hurry.

I still want to know why the OP's doc already knows they will be delivering early.

• Options
    You said 37 weeks is the magic number for safe delivery. Exact words.

Maybe you meant something else but that's what you said. People are going to disagree on this board. That's what happens. I've been here a long time. You get used to it. But it is a medical fact as your article stated that optimal time is between 39 and 41 weeks for baby to be born.

I'm sorry if your feelings got hurt. I hope you have a wonderful afternoon. :)

• Options
    The article you just linked negates what you posted earlier about delivery at "37 weeks is the magic number for safe delivery". The study states that statistically the best window for less complications is between 39 wks and 41w and 6d. Please stop misinforming people and really the best time to deliver is when baby decides (between 37w-42w) or unless a doctor decides it is medically necessary to intervene.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

redfallon said:

40 weeks is the magic number for safe delivery :)>-

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get the baby out if there isn't a medical reason for early delivery? Let the baby cook in there as long as it is safe. I was induced at just over 41 weeks because I didn't want to go to 42 weeks, which is as long as my OB would let someone. I told her I'd go to 41 weeks, but not 42 weeks. I know that the last few weeks are tough, but that baby is still developing from 37-40 weeks.

I completely agree with the ladies who want the baby to cook! Why would anyone want the baby to come early there are so many reasons why it's wrong! And If there isn't a medical reason for early delivery a doctor won't be delivering early.

There is only one person on here saying they want the baby to come early. So I'm not sure what you mean by "everyone" is in a hurry.

I still want to know why the OP's doc already knows they will be delivering early.

"Everyone" was a generalization of the world. We've (on previous birth month board) been through this before with a bunch of people wanting to have babies delivered early and wanting to know the best way to get the baby to come early. That's all. It wasn't to do with this specific thread in saying "everyone." It just brought up some remembrances.

Jamie

• Options
    Yea, I've heard celebrities are all about that early delivery too. I wonder what they do for the doctors to get them to agree with an early vanity delivery. My guess is the doctors aren't legit or just make up a medical reason for some extra cash..? Crazy!

My son came 6 weeks early last time. He was only 4 lbs and was in the NICU for 3 weeks! I would never want my lo or me to go through that again!!! So scary!

But tbh, I hate to say this but I admit there was a part of me that was glad I didn't have to be pregnant anymore. I know that's so awful to say or feel. But I do not enjoy pregnancy! Not one bit! But with that said I still really hope this time around I go full term.

• Options
    otowns said:

otowns said:

I don't know if this is what you meant when you posted it, but, to clarify, this is the sentence that makes it seem as though you felt that 37 weeks is the ideal delivery time. Maybe it's not what you meant?

Jamie

• Options
    otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

The article you just linked negates what you posted earlier about delivery at "37 weeks is the magic number for safe delivery". The study states that statistically the best window for less complications is between 39 wks and 41w and 6d. Please stop misinforming people and really the best time to deliver is when baby decides (between 37w-42w) or unless a doctor decides it is medically necessary to intervene.

LinMmmm said:

It is not the law, it is for some a matter of choice (still) as clearly there are many women scheduling csections earlier than 40 weeks to this very day. I did not misinform anyone. You have selective reading due to your own judgemental issues. I never made a personal proclamation about 37 weeks. I basically said according to some 37 weeks is ok. Which the article confirms. The article also states that it is best to wait longer than that. It does not mean everyone will. It is not as I said "the law".
    Slow your role. Go back and read what you wrote. Just because it makes sense in your head doesn't mean it reads that way to users. And it looks like others read it like I did too. I would advise editing it or stop writing because your communication skills are horrid.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    redfallon said:

The article that you posted states that anything before 39 weeks is early term, so I'm still confused on why you would say that 37 or 38 weeks was ideal?

Here's how expectant mothers should now expect doctors to describe
    the last possible weeks of pregnancy (counted from the first day of a
    woman's last menstrual period, but sometimes adjusted after an
    ultrasound):

• Early term: Between 37 weeks 0 days and 38 weeks, six days

• Full term: Between 39 weeks and 40 weeks, six days

• Late term: Between 41 weeks and 41 weeks, six days

• Post term: 42 weeks and beyond

This article supports what @revlaurawittman has been saying.
    This is correct. This is from ACOG. 
  • Options
    Woah @otowns maybe you should step away from this.

I apologized at first but you basically told 3 different people that we didn't know how to read when we all quoted exactly what you said.

@LinMmmm was responding to you saying the same thing to her.

Now you're just being disrespectful for no reason.

• Options
    BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited April 2015
    I'm sorry to state the obvious, but we don't know why her doctors want to schedule her in for a C-section at 37 weeks. Frankly, that is between her and her doctors. There are many reasons why they might want to do this. As a high risk myself, I can tell you that I've had over 60 small bowel obstructions in the past along with four exploratory laparotomies and resections. Pregnancy, especially the further along you get and peeking in the last few weeks of pregnancy, highly increases the risk for a small bowel obstruction for those that are predisposed to them. This is just one example of the reason that perhaps a doctor would want to schedule a C-section at 37 weeks. I'm sure that there are dozens of other reasons, many of which are valid unlike the celebrities which choose to do it for vanity's sake. How I will deliver (G-d willing that this is a healthy pregnancy and we get that far) will be based upon The collaborative decision between my MFM (high-risk OB), my colorectal surgeon, and the anesthesiology department. I will deliver in whatever manner is decided to be the safest for both the baby and myself. If that happens to be at 37 weeks instead of 40 then so be it. We could sit here and debate back-and-forth the merits of going full term versus not, but the fact of the matter is is that unless if you know what this woman's specific situation is, then we have no right to judge.
  • Options
    Thank you @revlaurawittman, our responses were pretty identical. I think our cause in trying to make her understand her original error is a waste of our time.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

LinMmmm said:

It is not the law, it is for some a matter of choice (still) as clearly there are many women scheduling csections earlier than 40 weeks to this very day. I did not misinform anyone. You have selective reading due to your own judgemental issues. I never made a personal proclamation about 37 weeks. I basically said according to some 37 weeks is ok. Which the article confirms. The article also states that it is best to wait longer than that. It does not mean everyone will. It is not as I said "the law".
    Slow your role. Go back and read what you wrote. Just because it makes sense in your head doesn't mean it reads that way to users. And it looks like others read it like I did too. I would advise editing it or stop writing because your communication skills are horrid.

The only one who needs to slow their role is you. What you just said was totally random and didn't even make any sense, or form any sort of clear response to any post previously made. I wouldn't expect anything else though. Anywho...have a good day!
    Actually, what she said made perfect sense as is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through this post. You wrote something that perhaps made sense to you as you wrote it but the way it came across to many other reading it was very different. She was just pointing out that if you don't want people jumping on you then you could edit what you wrote to make more sense to other people. 

And your comment of "I wouldn't expect anything else though" is incredibly rude. 
  • Options
    @otowns thank you very much! I am very blessed that we live in Boston, so there is a plethora of different options for me and a lot of good medical care. I don't think that I could be in a better place. I hope that you also have a happy and healthy nine months and I look forward to getting to know you better :-)
  • Options
    @BlueWaffleSpeshul Oh, I absolutely agree with you… I just didn't see the point of why people get so heated with one another when the point was started by questioning the decision of taking the baby via C-section at 37 weeks. I hope that we can all be as kind to one another as possible because the last thing we need is to be getting into online tifts. But you are absolutely right!
  • Options

I'm sorry to state the obvious, but we don't know why her doctors want to schedule her in for a C-section at 37 weeks. Frankly, that is between her and her doctors. There are many reasons why they might want to do this. As a high risk myself, I can tell you that I've had over 60 small bowel obstructions in the past along with for exploratory laparotomy is and resections. How I will deliver (G-d willing that this is a healthy pregnancy and we get that far) will be based upon The collaborative decision between my MFM (high-risk OB), my colorectal surgeon, and the anesthesiology department. I will deliver in whatever manner is decided to be the safest for both the baby and myself. If that happens to be at 37 weeks instead of 40 then so be it. We could sit here and debate back-and-forth the merits of going full term versus not, but the fact of the matter is is that unless if you know what this woman situation is, then we have no right to judge.

Not sure who judged the OP....? I think I may be high risk too and will probably deliver early as well. Every situation is unique. There isn't anything wrong with asking OP how her doctor already knows she will deliver early. I was curious cause I haven't seen my doctor yet and I wonder if they will know this early on if I will deliver early. Either way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking her her situation. If she doesn't want to answer then that's on her.

With that said...I still want to know!

• Options
    otowns said:

redfallon said:

otowns said:

otowns said:

I don't know if this is what you meant when you posted it, but, to clarify, this is the sentence that makes it seem as though you felt that 37 weeks is the ideal delivery time. Maybe it's not what you meant?
    You are correct. I was simply stating that according to some medical practitioners, it seems that 37 is acceptable as full term. Thank you for allowing me to clarify.
    I didn't say " i believe 37 is the magical number" i said " there are conflicting studies but it seems that 37 is the magic number"
    Meaning some medical practitioners still say 37 but there are studies that conflict with this thinking.
    Thank you for allowing me to clarify i appreciate it.
    And if that's what you meant, you probably should have worded it as:

"There are conflicting studies but some medical practitioners seem to think 37 is the magic number."

Instead, you said "there are conflicting studies but it seems that 37 weeks is the magic number" which implies that after looking through all of the studies, the majority brought you to the conclusion that 37 is the magic number ... which, from what you posted after the fact, is not true ... thus making your original statement confusing and bringing up concerns from other posters.

None of this is an attack on you. I'm just informing you in a bit more detail about where things went wrong so it can be avoided in the future.
    otowns said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

LinMmmm said:

The only one who needs to slow their role is you. What you just said was totally random and didn't even make any sense, or form any sort of clear response to any post previously made. I wouldn't expect anything else though. Anywho...have a good day!
    Actually, what she said made perfect sense as is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through this post. You wrote something that perhaps made sense to you as you wrote it but the way it came across to many other reading it was very different. She was just pointing out that if you don't want people jumping on you then you could edit what you wrote to make more sense to other people. 

And your comment of "I wouldn't expect anything else though" is incredibly rude. 
    Oh here comes the cavalry. *clap clap*
    I'm happy to act as cavalry for people who are being insulted for no good reason. 
  • Options
    otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

LinMmmm said:

The point of the USA Today article was that there was too much conflicting information about what full term means and so there was a committee (The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Obstetric Practice Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine) formed to agree on specific time-frames and what each week corresponds to. The article does not confirm that 37 weeks is full term or ok. It confirms that 37 weeks is early. The first paragraph of the article says that 37 weeks being considered "at-term" is outdated information. The USA Today article was reporting on this from ACOG, which is where the information comes from:

https://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Definition-of-Term-Pregnancy

Jamie

• Options

otowns said:

redfallon said:

otowns said:

otowns said:

You are correct. I was simply stating that according to some medical practitioners, it seems that 37 is acceptable as full term. Thank you for allowing me to clarify.
    I didn't say " i believe 37 is the magical number" i said " there are conflicting studies but it seems that 37 is the magic number"
    Meaning some medical practitioners still say 37 but there are studies that conflict with this thinking.

"There are conflicting studies but some medical practitioners seem to think 37 is the magic number."

Instead, you said "there are conflicting studies but it seems that 37 weeks is the magic number" which implies that after looking through all of the studies, the majority brought you to the conclusion that 37 is the magic number ... which, from what you posted after the fact, is not true ... thus making your original statement confusing and bringing up concerns from other posters.

None of this is an attack on you. I'm just informing you in a bit more detail about where things went wrong so it can be avoided in the future.
    otowns said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

LinMmmm said:

I'm happy to act as cavalry for people who are being insulted for no good reason. 
    Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here's my number... So call me maybe?

• Options

otowns said:

redfallon said:

otowns said:

otowns said:

otowns said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

LinMmmm said:

Hey I just met you and this is crazy but here's my number... So call me maybe?
    Oh hell, did I actually post that?

That was one of my "ha, what if I responded like this?" write ups that I thought I deleted before posting my one line about the cavalry. That was absolutely a "crazy train" rant that wasn't supposed to actually be seen by anyone.

I blame nothing except my own lack of double checking my text box!
  • Options
    In s13 we had drama for a month because a mom said she hit someone with a shopping cart. It was hilarious. ;). Right @313Meg and @redfallon ?

But thanks for the reminder @kitten20133 I'll play nice now. :)

• Options
    @Marchmellow2 Lol! Agreed! I'm sorry that you're also high-risk. Everything that I said didn't state the one thing that you did, which is that I have no idea how I will be delivering, let alone when. I haven't even been turned over to my MFM yet from my RE (although we conceived naturally this cycle.)

I am pretty sure that it's going to take a good deal of time before they are able to figure out when they want to take the baby. But perhaps the OP has had a history of C-sections or preterm labor?

I want to know too though :-) but I will certainly be able to live without the knowledge
  • Options
    otowns said:

redfallon said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

LinMmmm said:

The point of the USA Today article was that there was too much conflicting information about what full term means and so there was a committee (The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Obstetric Practice Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine) formed to agree on specific time-frames and what each week corresponds to. The article does not confirm that 37 weeks is full term or ok. It confirms that 37 weeks is early. The first paragraph of the article says that 37 weeks being considered "at-term" is outdated information. The USA Today article was reporting on this from ACOG, which is where the information comes from:

https://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Definition-of-Term-Pregnancy

I understand what you are saying and what the article is saying.
    Aside from this article though I know that there are still doctors that agree to induce at 38 weeks and there are still doctors that say 37 weeks is full term. This new "39 weeks" bit only came about in 2013 so you are still gonna get doctors that are following their old thought of 37 weeks. Probably till it does become a law- if it does.
    I wonder if a baby's weight influences a Docs decision- example if the baby is 8 pounds at 38 weeks would it sway a doctors decision to agree to early induction or csection?
    You said this well here. That's the problem is that it is new and for some reason a lot of doctors still aren't following that advice. I live in Durham which is basically the city of medicine between duke and UNC. So the doctors here are psycho about it and won't induce a day earlier than 39 weeks unless absolutely necessary.

The weight thing is iffy though because those predictions are never totally accurate. BUT.... There are doctors who will induce early because of fear of the baby being too big. They told me my first would be ten pounds but he was 7lbs 12 oz. wayyyyy off

• Options
    otowns said:

otowns said:

redfallon said:

otowns said:

LinMmmm said:

LinMmmm said:

I understand what you are saying and what the article is saying.
    Aside from this article though I know that there are still doctors that agree to induce at 38 weeks and there are still doctors that say 37 weeks is full term. This new "39 weeks" bit only came about in 2013 so you are still gonna get doctors that are following their old thought of 37 weeks. Probably till it does become a law- if it does.
    I wonder if a baby's weight influences a Docs decision- example if the baby is 8 pounds at 38 weeks would it sway a doctors decision to agree to early induction or csection?
    You said this well here. That's the problem is that it is new and for some reason a lot of doctors still aren't following that advice. I live in Durham which is basically the city of medicine between duke and UNC. So the doctors here are psycho about it and won't induce a day earlier than 39 weeks unless absolutely necessary.

The weight thing is iffy though because those predictions are never totally accurate. BUT.... There are doctors who will induce early because of fear of the baby being too big. They told me my first would be ten pounds but he was 7lbs 12 oz. wayyyyy off
    Yes that is true as well in terms of weight accuracy. Mine was 9'11 and my doc said she would only be 7. Oh my that was a very difficult labour. Ended up emergency csection after 36 hours. I was super annoyed after because she refused to induce me till 42 weeks -_-
    That's incredibly frustrating. With my first I went to 41 weeks and 2 days and that was after a month of constant contractions. I was very surprised when my second came early.

Hopefully this labor will be much easier for you! And hopefully your doctors will be a little more aware of your situation. :)

• Options
    So just to clarify - are you all really laughing out loud? Or just typing lol. I am confused.

What are we talking about?

@revlaurawittman thank you for initiating this conversation. I can't agree with you more.

@otowns your logic. Smh.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options

@Marchmellow2 Lol! Agreed! I'm sorry that you're also high-risk. Everything that I said didn't state the one thing that you did, which is that I have no idea how I will be delivering, let alone when. I haven't even been turned over to my MFM yet from my RE (although we conceived naturally this cycle.)

I am pretty sure that it's going to take a good deal of time before they are able to figure out when they want to take the baby. But perhaps the OP has had a history of C-sections or preterm labor?

I want to know too though :-) but I will certainly be able to live without the knowledge

I'm sorry you are high risk as well!! I hope your pregnancy goes smoother than you think! Positive thoughts and healthy vibes to you and LO! Maybe we should create a high-risk check in every 2 weeks or so, so we can keep up with each other and share stories. Anyone willing to take the lead on that?

• Options
    I'm due in November too..the 15th; my expected due date was kicked up 3 whole weeks!!! I just stayed here though...because the people are ALOT nicer!!!
  • Options
    otowns said:

redfallon said:

otowns said:

otowns said:

You're welcome.

Jamie