June 2015 Moms

Mesh Bumper

Hi June mamas! Has anyone used the mesh bumper for the crib or planning on using one? I didn't use a bumper at all with my DD, because of the SIDS risk. Now that I am finding the mesh breathable ones, I am considering those. But are they really necessary? Any thoughts? 
Pregnancy Ticker    

Re: Mesh Bumper

• I am a FTM but my thinking is that they probably aren't really necessary.  I received matching bumpers for the crib that go with the bedding set as a gift, and I put them in for looks to take a few pictures but plan to take them out once little one is sleeping in the crib.  We plan to have her in a bassinet for the first month or two.  If your crib is up to current safety standards I don't think that the bumpers are really necessary, but honestly I haven't done any research on the mesh ones.  But everything I find recommends not to use any kind of crib bumper or extra bedding in the crib until baby is at least 1 year old (when the risk for SIDS is supposed to significantly decline).
  • I used a mesh bumper for my son. He moves A LOT when he sleeps, so it definitely helped keep his limbs from getting between the crib rails. He is in his toddler bed - convertible crib, so I kept the mesh bumpers up on the three sides of the bed. I would say that since you didn't use one for your daughter, see how Baby #2 sleeps for a while once in the crib to determine if you really need one. But, if you found one that you just think makes the baby's room look great and you want to use it, I say go for it. We were very happy with ours. I will probably be getting another one for this baby if he/she moves while sleeping as much as older brother does.

• Loading the player...
  • I registered for one. My niece moved like crazy and my sister said she would get her feet stuck in the crib spindles. I guess it depends on the baby, but I figured I'd go ahead and register for one.
  • That is what I am thinking too. To just skip the bumper all together. It worked out for my 1st child, so might as well keep it simple. I did get a brand new crib that is up to standards so I do feel safe. I guess I can worry about his limbs getting stuck when he gets a little older and get a mesh if we need one then! Good advice to see how he sleeps first and the decide! Thanks ladies! 
    Pregnancy Ticker    

• anyone know how to put one of these on ? I cant figure it out it seems like the bumper is way over sized!
  • I received one at my shower, but I don't plan on using it until at least after she is 6 months old, and to see how she sleeps without it in the crib for a while. At least I'll have it on hand to try if she is an active sleeper and gets her limbs stuck in the slats in the crib.  (We plan on having her in a rock n play in our room the first month or two, then moving her to the crib after that). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • anyone know how to put one of these on ? I cant figure it out it seems like the bumper is way over sized!

There's some great youtube videos on how to put them on.

I have one but will put it on when LO gets older and if she has issues with getting limbs stuck.

Make someone else do it for you!  I made my sister do it because I was way to impatient with trying to figure it out - thankfully she was able to make it work. If that doesn't work, I agree with PP poster, YouTube is your friend.

Also, as others have mentioned above, you probably won't need it right away. My son slept in a rocker-napper for the first 2 months - it was the only thing he would sleep in. After that he did a pack and play for another month before he moved to the crib. After a couple of months sleeping in his crib and getting his arms and legs stuck every night, we added the mesh bumper.     

• We ended up needing them for our last two kids. They would end up with their arms or legs stuck between the rails and they were too young to get themselves unstuck. I loved the breathable ones. We bought a new one for Baby Girl and it did seem too long at first. Here's a pic of the front corner...it took me a long time to figure it out. Hopefully this helps!
  • Thank you ladies :) LO probably won't sleep in the crib for awhile also but I like to know how this thing works I will have Dh do it tonight I appreciate the input :)
  • i just put one on baby boys crib this afternoon.
  • I know the mesh bumpers are technically not approved by the powers that be, but does anyone know WHY? I definitely understand how a normal crib bumper could be a suffocation hazard, and the ties are a threat, but neither of those apply to the mesh ones, so why are they considered unsafe?
  • We received mesh bumpers from a friend. I agree with everyone else. I feel safe using them but we are waiting till she gets a little older and starts moving around more to put them on.
  • Will they fit on round cribs?
  • I know the mesh bumpers are technically not approved by the powers that be, but does anyone know WHY? I definitely understand how a normal crib bumper could be a suffocation hazard, and the ties are a threat, but neither of those apply to the mesh ones, so why are they considered unsafe?

I think I read that it's because if their face is on or close to it they are rebreathing a lot of carbon dioxide, even if it is mesh. It's just a barrier to good airflow, even if it's not complete. I'd imagine older babies might be able to use it as a step to help them out of the crib, too, but I don't know for sure because I don't know how much tension is in them.
  • Thanks @MrsS728! Good luck in your home stretch!!
  • MrsS728    yes, thank you! Wishing you well in your last little bit, here, and best wishes for you and your little one once they arrive!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok so here's where I get confused. Bumpers are supposed to be unsafe so I didn't buy any but then I look at the bassinet/co sleeper thing and all the sides are covered in fabric. Is this safe? Sorry to OP, not trying to hijack your post just curious!
  • Frogger5 said:

I know the mesh bumpers are technically not approved by the powers that be, but does anyone know WHY? I definitely understand how a normal crib bumper could be a suffocation hazard, and the ties are a threat, but neither of those apply to the mesh ones, so why are they considered unsafe?

I think I read that it's because if their face is on or close to it they are rebreathing a lot of carbon dioxide, even if it is mesh. It's just a barrier to good airflow, even if it's not complete. I'd imagine older babies might be able to use it as a step to help them out of the crib, too, but I don't know for sure because I don't know how much tension is in them.
    From what I have read, the AAP has not done the same studies with the mesh bumper as they have with the old bumpers. But they recommend not using them because they don't see the point in using them. Their view is that anything that isn't essential in the crib should be left out, and the discomfort of having limbs stuck between crib rails doesn't warrant use of bumpers. Since the baby is not at risk of breaking an arm or leg if it is stuck between rails, they say there is no reason for the mesh bumper.  But again, they have not done the same level of studies with breathable mesh bumpers and have not necessarily said they pose a risk, they just said if there is no reason for it, don't use it.

• Ok so here's where I get confused. Bumpers are supposed to be unsafe so I didn't buy any but then I look at the bassinet/co sleeper thing and all the sides are covered in fabric. Is this safe? Sorry to OP, not trying to hijack your post just curious!

I've always wondered this myself. I don't understand why most bassinets are considered safe
    The only thing I can think of for this is that babies young enough to be in a bassinet are too young to roll over and have their face in the side of the bassinet. Like pretty much if you're using a bassinet your baby should stay exactly where you place him or her. And since the sides of the bassinets are part of the structure there is no danger of them coming loose and falling on baby.
  • I thought that might be why but then I wondered why not have bumpers then. But I guess they could come loose plus they're not really necessary. If my son is anything like my daughter he will be sleeping in the swing or with me up all night rocking in the chair anyway! :((
  • jenkbob said:

Frogger5 said:

I know the mesh bumpers are technically not approved by the powers that be, but does anyone know WHY? I definitely understand how a normal crib bumper could be a suffocation hazard, and the ties are a threat, but neither of those apply to the mesh ones, so why are they considered unsafe?

From what I have read, the AAP has not done the same studies with the mesh bumper as they have with the old bumpers. But they recommend not using them because they don't see the point in using them. Their view is that anything that isn't essential in the crib should be left out, and the discomfort of having limbs stuck between crib rails doesn't warrant use of bumpers. Since the baby is not at risk of breaking an arm or leg if it is stuck between rails, they say there is no reason for the mesh bumper.  But again, they have not done the same level of studies with breathable mesh bumpers and have not necessarily said they pose a risk, they just said if there is no reason for it, don't use it.
    I'd totally believe that. I also realistically think there's probably a time period where the benefit could outweigh the risk for your baby, but it's so hard to say because if you make the wrong call there's no undoing it.

No worries! You make a really good point. That is why I brought this up! 
    Pregnancy Ticker    

• And pack and plays have mesh sides too. So yeah, it's a bit odd.