May 2015 Moms
Options

Fmla?

I want 12 weeks, my doctor only listed 6 on my paper work, will that affect my job protection for the entire 12? Also, this job is hell, if I take 5 or 10 days off before it deliver will my FMLA cover those days or will my vacation time just cover that? So confused...

Re: Fmla?

• Options
    I thought FMLA kicked in after your paid time or Vaca time off. That's how it is at my work, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    kmb0324kmb0324 member
    edited April 2015
    Call your human resources department at your job. They can explain the process to you. Mine was a little confusing until they wrote it out for me. Technically for vaginal delivery you are allotted 6weeks for recovery time, but you also have other parts of fmla to take from such as bonding time and a few others. I wish I were better at explaining this, but my best suggestion is go and have a sit down with human resources. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, it's 6 weeks recovery from a "serious health condition" but then the rest of the 12 weeks is for "the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child."
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My PTO is included in the 12 weeks (i.e. I only get 12 weeks no matter how much PTO I have).
  • Options
    You are entitled to 12 wks FMLA for birth of a child, once you meet the FMLA eligibility requirements. The doctor is most likely certifying the first 6 wks as the initial recovery (or disability) period of time. The doctor needs to complete the FMLA paperwork stating you had a child and are taking the additional 6 wks off. Any time off before you deliver won't be covered under FMLA, unless the doctor is certifying that time off as medically necessary. Your best bet is to take any PTO/vacation you have beforehand, so you have the guaranteed 12 wks upon delivery.
  • Options
    From my understanding you get 12 weeks of job protection, but only 6-8 weeks paid depending on how you deliver. However I would still call your HR department to confirm if you qualify for FMLA. They are also usually your 1st step in setting up your leave anyways.
  • Options

From my understanding you get 12 weeks of job protection, but only 6-8 weeks paid depending on how you deliver. However I would still call your HR department to confirm if you qualify for FMLA. They are also usually your 1st step in setting up your leave anyways.

Nope, this is incorrect. FMLA is 12 weeks of job protection UNPAID. But most employers let you use any sick/personal/vacation time you have towards the 12 weeks.
  • Options
    You collect SI benefits before baby and FMLA after baby. Go to edd website it explains it all. Your dr has to approve more that 6 or 4 weeks of SI but if that's all you want. The day after you leave work you can apply but not before. Then when baby comes you apple for FMLA
  • Options
    ldmwldmw member
    FMLA protects your job for 12 weeks, unpaid leave. I just got my approved paperwork yesterday. My doctor only listed 6-8 weeks on my paperwork, as that's all that is needed for recovery. Depending on your job, you may also qualify for STD and/or be able to use PTO.
  • Options
    Also keep in mind that any fmla used on the last rolling 12 months will take away from your inital 12 weeks. Since I used fmla last year due to another medical condition I only have 6.5 weeks to spend with baby that's protected time. Best bet is to talk to your employer hr and get your own case reviewed.
  • Options
    This is probably different in every state
  • Options
    katyeblue said:

This is probably different in every state

The FMLA is a federal law from what my HR told me, but some states do provide additional benefits.
  • Options

Nope, this is incorrect. FMLA is 12 weeks of job protection UNPAID. But most employers let you use any sick/personal/vacation time you have towards the 12 weeks.
    Sorry I should have added if your company has paid maternity leave. With DD and this LO my company does but it only covers 8 weeks for my c sections. the last 4 weeks is unpaid or saved leave. 
  • Options
    I've been struggling with my FMLA it starts the first day you leave work. And your out for up to 12 weeks. 6-8weeks depending on your delivery. The remainder is used for bonding time with the baby.

The FMLA only protects your job position. It has nothing to do with your pay. For me my short term disability is going to pay me while I'm out. For that the first 40 hours aren't paid (I'll be using vacation time) the remainder is paid at different % depending.

Your best option as I think one of the other moms said was, to partner with your HR department. Or find someone at work that recently had a child. I know being a FTM it's over whelming! Best of luck to you :)