LGBT Parenting
Options

how much sperm can you claim on taxes?

I know you can list donor sperm and IUI as a tax deduction, but I'm wondering how much sperm you can deduct. We bought several vials last year but only two of them were used during the calendar year.

I know I should ask and accountant, but my dad (who is not a CPA) does our taxes and I don't think he knows the answer :)
- - - 
Me: 37  DW: 39 (carrier)
Together 11 years ~ Married 4 years
IUI #1 - Dec 2013 - Natural cycle, monitored, Ovidrel w/ one 19mm follicle on CD15, back-to-back IUI w/ donor sperm - BFP on 1/1/14 - natural mc on 1/31
IUI #2 - March 2014 - Monitored, 100mg Clomid CD1-5. Ovidrel w/ one 22mm follicle on CD11, back-to-back IUI w/ donor sperm CD12-13... BFN
IUI #3 - April 2014 - Monitored, 100mg Clomid CD1-5. Ovidrel w/ one 24mm follicle on CD13, back-to-back IUI w/ donor sperm CD14-15... BFP on 5/1/14 ... EDD: 1/10/15

Re: how much sperm can you claim on taxes?

• Options
    There was a thread about this a while ago. You have to meet a certain threshold. I think it was something like 10% of your income. So if your income is $50,000 then you would had to have spent at least $5,000.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    KH826KH826 member

@StacyLH24 is correct about the threshold, and that is combined for all out of pocket medical expenses for the year (including copays, meds, procedure costs, and even travel expenses for appointment). This includes sperm (and the cost of shipping/storing said sperm), and as far as I know there is no cap on how much you can claim in terms of sperm-related expenses. Also, all that matters is the year that you purchased the sperm in, not the year that you used it. So, if you meet the 10% threshold for your medical expenses, you can include all of the vials that you purchased in 2013 and not just the two that you used. Also, if you are married and filing jointly you can combine out of pocket medical expenses between you and your spouse (according to my accountant)... so if your combined income is $150k and you only have $10k of medical expenses for you, but your spouse has $5k, you should be able to combine them to meet the joint threshold for you both. Dental expenses are also included, so don't forget those! Good Luck! :)

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"