High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

New to high risk- advice??

Hi, I recently found out I am about 5 weeks pregnant.  I have lost twin girls on March 13, 2014 due to pre term labor at 19 weeks.  I then found out I was pregnant again in October 2014, only to find out I had a missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.  My OB told me that my next pregnancy would be considered "high risk" and i'd have to see the doctors in maternal fetal medicine to determine what the best course of action may be for me (shots, cerclage, etc.).  If anyone has had a similar experience or would like to offer any advice I would be VERY appreciative.  I am just so nervous this time around knowing what could go wrong, I am trying to stay calm and positive but the thoughts are always in the back of my mind. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Hi! Thanks for your response- so glad that has been working for you.  It's so reassuring to hear these courses of action working for other women.  I am right now only 5 weeks 5 days and my OB will not see me until I am 8 weeks.  I am SO impatient, it feels like this 8 weeks has been taking forever.  At that point I am just going to ask them what they think I should do.  I would be all for the cerclage being put in early on in addition to shots if they think it will help.

Question- which shots are you being given?  Are they hormones or steroids?  Do you get them in the doctor's office?  And what are they exactly supposed to do?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm taking weekly makena shots which contains progesterone and is supposed to help stop contractions and strengthen the cervix. The first couple injections were done at the Drs office and the nurse showed my DH how to do it. So now we just do the injections at home. Before the shots I used daily progesterone suppositories and I honestly prefer the shots.

When I was in the hospital for preterm labor they injected me with steroids to help the baby's lungs. I had to get two sets of shots 24 hours apart. I think they give the steroid shot based on how the baby is growing or if you're close to going into labor at an early stage. So it may be a while for you to get steroids if you even need them at all.

I hope this helps and I wish you well! Good luck!
  • Options
    I had a cerclage placed at 13 weeks due to a shortened cervix (1.8cm).  I was considered high risk at that point.  My doctor said having a cerclage placed that early is usually very successful.  I started progesterone suppositories at 22 weeks and will stop them around 35 weeks.  I will have the cerclage removed at 37 weeks.  So far, so good (I'm 30+2); my cervix has actually lengthened (at 26 weeks, it was 2.5cm).  I will have to have a cerclage placed for any subsequent pregnancies as well.

Do they know the reasons for your preterm labor and miscarriage?  If so, they should be able to put a plan of action in place to ensure you are getting the care you need to hopefully have a safe, full-term pregnancy.  Good luck!
    imageimage image image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you!  No they could not give me any solid reason for anything.  They tested my twins once they were born to see if there was something wrong with them that caused the preterm labor but everything came back normal.  I didn't show any signs of infection- do it wasn't that either.  They said because it was twins I was at a higher risk for preterm labor.  I'll never know exactly what caused it or why.  It seemed like once they realized I was having contractions they just said, ok well if you go into labor the babies won't make it.  They didn't do much to try and stop it.  I try not to dwell on it because it's over and there's nothing I can do to change it at this point.  I am going to a different OB and hospital this time around because I didn't like how my previous doctors handled the situation.

Hoping this time with the proper precautions put into place I will have a full term pregnancy with no issues!  

Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!