Baby Names
Options

Alternative names for Isis

We are in a difficult situation and would love your opinion on names. 

We have a 15-month old and her name is Isis. We picked her name because it was unique, beautiful, and was associated to an Egyptian goddess.  5-6 Months after she was born, this ISIS terrorist group started making headlines.  The media continues to use ISIS instead of ISIL so the problem is not going away.

Our main concern is for our child's well-being.  We don't want her to have to endure ignorant persecution for it. We also have found that some of our family members feel hesitant to tell others her name which is really sad.  We know what they're going through because out in public, we find ourselves hesitating to say her name out loud because you never know what kind of ignorant people you'll run into.

After a long time of pondering over this, we have made the decision to legally change her first name. It was a very, very difficult decision for us. Especially since she knows it's her name and says it. We want to make the transition as easy as possible, so we're looking at alternatives that are similar - namely names that start with I. 

Right now, we are thinking of the name Ivory. But we are open to other suggestions.... we have thought about Iris but my husband really dislikes the name. Any suggestions/thoughts? 

Re: Alternative names for Isis

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Edited after reading your last bit about Iris :-(

Ibis is a type of bird, but if your husband didn't like Iris I doubt he'll be into that.

Gosh, there sure aren't a lot out there. 

Inara is a name I think is pretty but maybe not your style.

Isla

Ivory is a nice choice, in my opinion.
  • Options
    I am sorry that you are dealing with this and feel the need to legally change your little girl's name.  My first thought was Iris before I got to the end of your post.  

Other ideas:
    Alice
    Elise
    Isadora
    Isabella
    Ivy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can she just go by her middle name? Easier than legally changing it. Eventually we hope to wipe those f*ckers out anyway and she can choose to go back to her first name (or not) when she's older.
  • Options
    I think isla is a gorgeous name! Pronounced eye-la
  • Options
    Other I names

Ida
    Ines
    Irene
    Iris
    Irina
    Isolde
    Isidore

• Options
    I really like the suggestion of Ibis! Not sure I'd usually suggest it for a name, but in your situation it seems to make sense.

Still, I don't think I'd change it. What's her middle name? Or maybe you could give her a nickname? Izzy or something? I guess I just don't see people who would be ignorant enough to say anything negative being informed enough to know what ISIS is. I could be wrong, that would just surprise me. And what would people even say? "Oh, ha ha, did you name her after the terrorist group?" IDK, I see why you're thinking about it, but unless people are actually saying horrible things, I'd just keep in mind that your average Joe on the street probably has no clue what ISIS is. He doesn't even know that Canada isn't a part of the US. World affairs are really low on most people's radar.

*Disregard what I said if you're not living in the US. I know in some other places people do pay more attention to goings on in the world!
  • Options
    I also second maybe going by her middle name rather than changing it. Sorry you're dealing with this. I have a student named Isis. I made the connection of course but never really gave it a second thought.

• Options
    Middle name?

Isabel
    Isla

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    I would change it honestly. I don't love Ivory. Suggesting Ivy.

• Options
    I love the name Isis, but I understand your dilemma. I like the suggestions of others to use her middle name if that is possible.

They don't start with i, but have a similar sound:
    Eira
    Eirian (means "bright, beautiful," which I always thought was such a lovely meaning for a name!)

Isla is very similar, but might be too popular if you're looking for something more unusual.
    Irene
    Ina
    Iona

So sorry that you are going through this. :( If you can't find a similar name that you love, I wouldn't worry too much about changing her name to something completely different. At 15 months, she's never going to remember that you changed her name and I'm sure she will learn her new name quickly, especially if you make it a fun, positive "game" for her.

It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love Isla, Ivy, and like Ivory. I do second using her middle name, though.

Not quite the same, but I get it. Our 12 year old cat is named Isis. I always feel the need to tell people she's 12 - we named her to honour the Egyptian goddess, because she is a cat after all. One of DS's first words was Isis. I feel like I have to tell people that it's for our 12 year old cat and we're not terrorists. DH always says, "damn Isis, giving our girl a bad name."
  • Options
    I'm sorry this has happened.  I'm sure this was a very tough choice.

I think you should call her by Izzy until the situation changes.  This group won't be around forever, and it will be a shame to completely change her name over an international situation that could be gone before she starts kindergarten (hopefully.)

If you're firmly committed to just changing it now, I think Elise is a beautiful name that sounds very similar to Isis, although it starts with a different letter.  Isla would be my second choice. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    ==N====N== member
    edited April 2015
    That's a hard situation. But If you've made your decision, she's definitely still young enough to change it without much consequence.

I names:
    Ivy
    Isadora (nn Izzy?)
    Ingrid
    India

Names with a similar feel:
    Oona
    Astrid
    Anika
    Carys

Goddess names:
    Freya
    Ceres
    Maia

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Ivy. Isla.

Or go by the middle name until Isis goes away.
  • Options
    What about Ione?
  • Options
    Isabella or Isabelle.

I would definitely change it.
  • Options
    What a touch situation :(

My grandmother's name is Ilse (pronounced il-sa). I think it's pretty :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married my love- May 10, 2008
    Emergency surgery for ovarian torsion - October 2010
    TTC November 2010 
    BFP May 3, 2011!
    Lathan Quinn born December 18, 2011
    TTC June 2014 
    BFP September 8, 2014! 
    EDD May 15, 2015!
  • Options
    Isla (Eye-la)
    Iona
    Ivy
    Isabelle/Isabel
    Isabella
    Isa (Eye-sa) -Means beautiful in Spanish.

Or as suggested, going by Izzy or a middle name is a good option too.

Sorry you're having to change your little ones name.
  • Options
    I also wonder about middle name? I love Iris!!!! But if that's out I also say Ivy or Isla
  • Options
    Love PP's suggestion of Carys.

• Options
  • Options
    We need to know the middle name.
  • Options
    I would definitely change it; I can imagine how frustrating and difficult that must be. 

How about some of these:

Isadora
    Cicely (still has the "sis" sound)
    Cecilia
    Elise
    Eileen
    Irene
    Charis or Carys or Karis (rhymes with Paris)
    Alexandra (nn Alex or Alexa)
    Ellis
    Alice
    Maris (latin for of the sea)

• Options
    FWIW, I don't think you should change it. PP's are right, though, and she won't remember her former name if you do, but it almost feels like you're giving the terrorist group a little victory, because you're letting their influence make your life decisions. I like the previous suggestions of maybe just giving her a nickname if there are problems being caused in your everyday life because of her name. I just can't imagine that anyone in their right minds would associate the name of a little girl with the terrorist organization or think that you intentionally named her after them. Ivy and Izzy both work well as nicknames for her. And if you are set on changing her name, I love Ivy, it's on my list.
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Options
    Iris. Or Isla. I've heard is pronounced E-sla.
    ? PgAL/PAL Welcome ? My Chart ?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I personally would not change my child's name. Society is sometimes too sensitive. Who cares what people think. If there that ignorant to think that you named your child after a terrorist group that's there ignorance. Who would seriously think that someone personally did that because I wouldn't. I wouldn't be bothered by it I think Isis is a pretty name and I wouldn't personally change it just because of ignorant people in society. When she is older you'll probably never hear about Isis. Don't conform stand up. Have people really looked at you funny when you say your little girls name out loud or when you tell them her name?