April 2015 Moms

cervadil

Talk to me about cervadil- when you got it did they send you back home or keep you in the hospital? How long after did you go into labor?

Re: cervadil

• I stayed in the hospital. I got it at 8 pm and felt my first contractions at 1 am. by the time they took it out at 8 a.m. I was 4 centimeters dilated and delivered at 2 pm. It was a great experience. I will probably be induced again this time, and hope to get cervidil again.
  • Were you dilated when they started the cervadil?
  • Loading the player...
  • I stayed at the hospital for mine which is normal so they can monitor how LO is handling it.
    I got it at 7pm but lost it overnight sometime. My water broke at 1:30am (which is when the nurses think I lost it, seems probable). Started pit at 8am and my baby came around 10:30pm. I started out being a fingertip dilated and stayed that way until around 9am.
    Everyone is different though. I was worried about taking it too, but with all the nurses around to help it's really not that bad.
  • I was not dialated at all and I was 41 weeks 3 days. My water broke around 9 am and I never received pitocin. The doctors were impressed how well I responded to the cervidil, so I'm not sure how effective it usually is.
  • They will call me tomorrow with time as it is a full house right now so as soon as people get discharged
  • Thank you for your feedback on this topic. I start mine tomorrow evening and hoping to not have to use pit.
  • Impatiently waiting for a call about an open bed! I wonder what time they will diacharge all the new moms- is chexkout at 11? Lol
  • samiw17 said:

Thank you for your feedback on this topic. I start mine tomorrow evening and hoping to not have to use pit.

How are you doing? They are bumping me to tomorrow night because they are a full house so no beds
    :-bd
  • :-q Not thumbs up. Ugh
  • I just had my first round of cervidil overnight with no progress :-w Took a shower and breakfast break and now waiting to start another 12 hour cervidil cycle. This baby REALLY doesn't want to come out!!
  • I had to get it done at 37 weeks, they put it in at 1pm in the afternoon then checked me at midnight I didn't dilate much so they gave me another one. At six am I was dilated at 4cm so they took it out. About 20 min later my water broke, delivered at 8:18. Because I was preterm with pre eclemcia and ges diabetes my body wasn't ready. Very scary time! and being induced hurt way more the reg labor. Because I went on my own after the second cervidil baby came very fast so I wasn't Abel to get an ep. Not a good delivery for baby or me :(
  • Coco118 said:

I just had my first round of cervidil overnight with no progress :-w Took a shower and breakfast break and now waiting to start another 12 hour cervidil cycle. This baby REALLY doesn't want to come out!!

Did they give you an option to start pitocin instead of another round of cervidil? Ugh so thinking I'll be in the same boat. Very impatient waiting for a call to tell me I can come in and get this going- at least being in the hospital is one foot in the right direction.
  • Coco118 said:

I just had my first round of cervidil overnight with no progress :-w Took a shower and breakfast break and now waiting to start another 12 hour cervidil cycle. This baby REALLY doesn't want to come out!!

Did they give you an option to start pitocin instead of another round of cervidil? Ugh so thinking I'll be in the same boat. Very impatient waiting for a call to tell me I can come in and get this going- at least being in the hospital is one foot in the right direction.
    The doctor actually was pushing for me to try cytotec instead but I've done a ton of my own research prior and spoke with my uncle who is a neonatal surgeon, and ultimately decided against the cytotec. Pitocin still isn't an option as I'm still 1cm, posterior, and my cervix is so high the doctor can barely even reach it. I am 90% effaced though which is the good news! No contractions that I can feel (lots on monitor, but the RN says if I don't feel them, they aren't the real thing)
  • I should note that I'm also 41w + 3d... So this baby is reallyyyy taking her sweet time haha.
  • Coco118 said:

Coco118 said:

The doctor actually was pushing for me to try cytotec instead but I've done a ton of my own research prior and spoke with my uncle who is a neonatal surgeon, and ultimately decided against the cytotec. Pitocin still isn't an option as I'm still 1cm, posterior, and my cervix is so high the doctor can barely even reach it. I am 90% effaced though which is the good news! No contractions that I can feel (lots on monitor, but the RN says if I don't feel them, they aren't the real thing)
    Oh man, I am so sorry! I am against cytotec as well, my midwives do not like it either, it doesn't seem to be an option and I am more then okay with that! Hang in there momma, I will be joining the frustration at some point hopefully tonight or tomorrow! 

• I'm starting cervadil either today or tomorrow after my NST here in a half hour.. If they have space at the hospital I'll start today! If not I'll have to wait with you! Good luck! (This is my first time everything.. Super nervous!)
  • So I called the hospital and they said it looks like I can come in at 7 tonight!! I just have to call at 6 to confirm..  :D    
    I am jumping for JOY!!! 
    ^:)^
  • That was me with my first. It didn't work, they broke my water and after 28 of pit and only being 5 cm they had to go get my little girl becUse she was being stubborn!
  • So planned changed no cervadil because I'm apparently contraction too much. Wil know more tomorrow. Excuse rypos they gave me an ambian a few hiurs ago'
  • Just wanted to update that the cervidil never did dilate me (I never went beyond 1cm, 80% with it), however pitocin did the trick and baby came out fast and furiously after that ;;)
  • Coco118 said:

Just wanted to update that the cervidil never did dilate me (I never went beyond 1cm, 80% with it), however pitocin did the trick and baby came out fast and furiously after that ;;)

They ended up giving me a round of cytotec, it got me contracting but not dialating and baby decided to "float"
    Up so breaking my eyes didn't happen and they decided I couldn't have pitocin while contracting every couple minutes. I was sent home after almost 20 hours. Wtf.
  • Here's my Cervidil story.... On Sunday, at 41w+3d, it was inserted around 5 pm. I was one cm dilated, 50% effaced, -3 station and posterior. At around 9:45 the "crampiness" turned into pretty bad back pain. They gave ambien to sleep thru it, which did nothing for me. I asked for nubain At 11 or so. That helped me sleep until 2:3o or so. Nurse got me up at 5 Am. I was in EXCRUCIATING pain. Baby showed a heart rate drop, so they started keeping an eye on everything. Dr removed Cervidil around 6 or so, and I had progressed to 3 cm, 70% effaced, -1 station posterior. I was having contractions and baaad back labor, so they held off on the pit. She broke my water and I dilated another cm immediately. Contractions were long and strong and coming every 90 seconds.... But the back labor was really killing me, I got nubain and it did nothing. I got an epidural, and as soon as I got comfortable the baby's heart rate dove again, and it took some work to get it back up. Dr called for a c section, didn't want to wait until the next time. Turns out all the Cervidil and pitocin in the world would have done nothing - she was stuck in my pelvis... She nor any other baby will ever be able to pass through my birth canal, it's just too narrow.

So, Cervidil got things going for me, and my c am section had more to do with my body than the induction.
  • after they placed my cervadil I started contractions within 5 minutes. I was one of the lucky ones... Interesting how everyone responds differently. Regardless, we all leave with the same prize :) Congratulations to all!