March 2015 Moms
Options

How many ounces is good for 2 week old

my baby is 2 weeks old and 2 days. She recently started eating A LOT more than the first week, so I feed her 2-3 ounces per feeding (either formula or Breast milk) and on occasion she is still not full so I give her another ounce but I wait a while or until after she burps. I went to WIC yesterday and practically got attacked first, because I give her formula and second the lady said i was over feeding my baby... Am I over feeding her? Or are there any other babies eating the same amount as mine? She said to give her 2 ounces only but my baby is not full with just 2 ounces. I know this because she stays calm for a couple minutes after eating 2 ounces but then she starts looking for food again. I don't want to just watch my baby be hungry I want to feed her until she is satisfied. Thoughts??

Re: How many ounces is good for 2 week old

• Options
    My big guy is 3 weeks and he eats ALL the time. When I pump, he will eat 3-4 ounces from the bottle. You should be feeding on demand so if she is hungry, I would feed her.
  • Options
    My pediatrician said 2-3 oz is fine for our 2 week old. I told her the same thing - that he is rooting around and suckling still when we're done and she says it's a comfort reflex and that he was eating just fine! We ended up giving him a pacifier bc these reflexes are heightened so much for him. I would ask your pediatrician, but I don't think over-feeding is a thing when they are this young.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    General rule of thumb is 2.5oz per pound of baby.
  • Options
    My DD ate SO MUCH. I nursed primarily but when I used a bottle I just remember thinking "oh my gosh!" Lol. And she turned out just fine. Tall, healthy, good weight. I would worry about it too much as long as you're burping often and using a slow flow nipple for the bottle. I never upgraded in flows as baby got older either. I figure my nipples don't get easier flows as the baby gets older why should a bottle? Working a little for your supper is good for them! :)
  • Options
    Don't let anyone tell you your doing something wrong, don't care who it is. You know your baby and what they need. Been dealing with this exact same situation and finally made the decision I'm feeding my daughter when she's hungry and giving her however much she wants. When they're full, they will stop eating. Your doing great.
  • Options
    Yes, my daughter has been eating 3oz at every feeding. 
  • Options
    My baby is 2 weeks and eats about 3 oz. It all depends though! If your child is hungry, then feed them. Babies normally hit a growth spurt around week two, so eating more is completely normal.
  • Options
    Go with your gut. You're the mummy.
  • Options
    I feel the same way, my baby is 3 weeks and eats over 2 ounces. I'm nursing n I pump in bottle and I was informed it's no limit with breast milk. I typically follow my gut. When he's full he's calm..mommy's knows best.
  • Options
    My baby is 4 weeks old, she's been drinking 4oz every 3-4 hours since she came home at 4 days old. Her pediatrician said that was ok.
  • Options
    Don't listen to anyone about how much to feed your baby. YOU and baby are the authority, and no one else. I had a lactation consultant do the same thing to me, and after a day of inconsolable crying, I couldn't take it and just made sure to stop for multiple burp sessions so my LO didn't over eat. Yes she takes 4 to 5 ounces in a feeding. Yes that's freakish at two weeks. She's a huge baby to start with. The rules for a 7 pound kid don't work for her.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    WIC is dumb and a bunch of judgemental a-holes. You arent over feeding your baby. Baby is probably going through a growth spurt as well.
  • Options
    My DD wanted to nurse nurse nurse forever and also for comfort. I ended up getting her a pacifier. Life saver!
  • Options
    My baby girl is two weeks and drinking 4 oz.. Breast milk is on demand so don't worry about over feeding them...my pedatritian also said they should feel half their weight if it's formula
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone I feel a lot better now. I'm nervous to go back to WIC because I know I'm gonna get a bunch of crap again but that's okay. My baby is doing great and that's all that matters :)
  • Options
    Wic is terrible. They told me I needed to lose weight 4 days after having my baby. I'd do what feels right and listen to what your pediatrician says.
  • Options
    I sometimes think WIC people are so awful because they're trying to make you stop using the program.