Breastfeeding
Options

Hygeia Pumps

Hi Ladies!  I am expecting my first in July!  Starting to look through info. from insurance on pumps.  I will have 12 weeks off work, then going back full-time :/  Hygeia Pumps are my top pick for now!  The Q is free with insurance, includes "double electric breast pump, tubing, breast shields, 2 storage containers,
and a tote bag." It does not come with a rechargeable battery.
I can pay to upgrade to the Enjoye LBI for $130 which includes:

Included with the Hygeia EnJoye:

• EnJoye Pump Motor Unit with Rechargeable, Internal Lithium Ion Battery
  • Power Supply
  • Deluxe Tote Set with cooler and ice pack
  • Zipper Tag
  • EnJoye Personal Accessory Set
  • Supporting Membership to La Leche League International

I can also purchase an accessories kit for $45:

Contents Included:

• (2) Medium (25mm-27mm) Flanges
  • (2) 40″ Tubing
  • (2) Mother’s Milk Storage Containers 4 oz.
  • (2) Duckbill Valves
  • (2) Storage Container Caps/Feeder Cups
  • (2) Rings
  • (2) Narrow-Neck Container Adapters
  • (2) Ring Covers
  • Container Holder
  • Bacteriostatic Filter
  • Hand Pump

Does anyone have and use either of these two pumps?  Is the Enjoye worth the extra cost?  Or could I get the Q and the accessories kit?

Has anyone had any bad experience with either of these pumps?

Also, I know some prefer to use different parts with this pump, if so which alternative parts do you use?

Thank you for your help!

Re: Hygeia Pumps

• Options

I had the Enjoye. It worked great... until 1 month past the 1 year warrenty, when it just literally stopped working while I was pumping at work.  The company was AWFUL to work with.  Basically my only option was to pay $150 up front and if they found it was a defect they would refund me, but if it needed a repair they would not refund me.  Umm, no.  I can buy a new pump for around that much regardless.

So thankfully I still had my Ameda Purely Yours from my first child!  I got new tubing and flanges from BRU (which by the way does not carry Hygeia supplies, they are impossible to find locally and Amazon doesn't have them offered with Prime so basically I would have been without a pump for a week or so as a working mom- that just doesn't fly).  The Ameda worked great still and I was so grateful to have it around still.  I used it through weaning a few weeks ago, so it's been going strong for almost 5 years now!

Furthermore, I once reached too far to grab something while I was pumping with my Ameda and it fell on the ground and stopped working.  I was panicking.  I called Ameda and their customer service is AMAZING.  They FedEx'd me a brand new pump overnight for free with a return shipping pre-paid label for the broken one.  AND they located 3 hospital grade pump rentals close to my work so I could immediately go rent one to finish pumping for that day.  I had to pay $50 up front for the rental, but it was reimbursed via check by Ameda. So I would 100% recommend Ameda and 100% NOT recommend Hygeia.  Both are closed systems.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    myspecialkidmyspecialkid member
    edited April 2015
    No experience with a breast pump, but I have been researching. What @MWoodside said is right about the availability of parts and their customer service based off the reviews I've read.

@MWoodside did you notice a difference when you went back to the Ameda? At the beginning of my research it was my top pick as I get the whole kit thru my insurance. Now I'm debating between this and the Medela PISA. Thanks

ETA: didn't see the older post about my exact question, lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you mean re: a difference. Like a different milk output? No. I produce a lot regardless of the pump. The Ameda is a bit less quiet than the Hygeia. The Ameda is smaller. The Ameda came with a bag and a little cooler, the Hygeia did not.

A closed system is important to me, so that rules out a Medela for me. Although my hospital grade rental was a Medela and it was great.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    lalamommalalamomma member
    edited April 2015
    I had an Ameda with DD and the customer service was amazing. I didn't care for the pump though.
    My friend however loves her Hygeia and is having great success with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have the Hygeia Enjoye and I love it! It's a huge plus for me that its a closed system. That being said, I'm mostly a stay at home mom and only had to use it a few times a week for about 10 months. Most stores don't carry supplies for the Hygeia so I use lactionconnection.com.
    BabyFruit Ticker