Baby Names
Options

August for a baby born in August

pansylanepansylane member
edited April 2015 in Baby Names
I'm due in very early September, and my last kiddo was a couple weeks early.

Does having a baby in August make using the name August impossible? Does it sound ridiculous/silly to do that?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: August for a baby born in August

• Options
    I would not use the name of the month they're born in as their first name. It just sounds kind of cheesy to me. Would you name them September if they were born in September? That's just me, some people might find it adorable but I personally wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    I find it a bit odd. DH and I were at odds over Juliet, because we're due in July and I thought it was too corny. Growing up, I had a friend name April, and she literally introduced herself as: "Hi, I'm April. YES, I was born in April (eyeroll to the heavens)." She wasn't a fan of it at all, and knowing that makes me hold back on month-themed names.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do like the name Augustus (over August) but would probably be hesitant if he was born in August. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    Just cross your legs until September. ;)

Seriously though, just have a back up name if he is actually born in August.

August is our boy name too.
  • Options
    I like August but would NEVER call my baby August if that was the month they were born. It's corny.
  • Options

Just cross your legs until September. ;)

Seriously though, just have a back up name if he is actually born in August.

August is our boy name too.

I'll try that method, but something tells me that may not work ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like the name August too. But like others I would be hesitant to use it if he's born in August. However it's nice enough that if he is you could always use it as a middle name? We both loved the name brooks for a boy but recently moved to a city called brooks and that would be dumb. Sucks when your circumstances affect your name choices lol. Good luck! Crossing my fingers for September for you
  • Options
    Chessy. August is heading towards trendy anyhow.

• Options
    I would never do that. Not a big fan of month names in general though.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    Our boy name is August, due in August. I don't really consider it a "month" name, it is a classic, masculine sounding name.

I've actually seen this question asked on other name boards (nameberry) and the consensus was the birth month just adds to the meaning of the name.
  • Options
    ^ sorry but it's just cheesy. I don't think naming your child after the month they were born in adds anything to the meaning of the name, to me it just sounds like the parents lacked the originality to think of anything else.
  • Options
    smeame14 said:

MamaOwl08 said:

Our boy name is August, due in August. I don't really consider it a "month" name, it is a classic, masculine sounding name.

I've actually seen this question asked on other name boards (nameberry) and the consensus was the birth month just adds to the meaning of the name.

It's not a "month" name??? Ok. :-/
    I mean that August has a history and meaning as a name for a man, as opposed to September or February.
  • Options
    I remember never understanding why my parents doesn't chose April to be my name, because it made infinite sense in my head when I was really little. Granted I was an April fools baby and a tmnt fan, but I don't see anything too cheesy about it. I've always loved the name August and don't think there's anything wrong with naming an August (or September) baby.
  • Options
    I acknowledge that August has a history and meaning as a man's name, but if he's also born in August, other people aren't going to immediately think, "Oh, what a historically meaningful name." I bet their first thought is something more along the lines of, "August was born in August? That's...quirky?" That's the association that most people are going to make. It won't seem coincidental. 

I second the suggestion of using it as a MN, or going with something like Augustus. But, I'm also not a fan of month names, or season names (like Summer or Autumn) in general. It's NMS. 

Remember: it is your choice, but it's your kid who has to live with it. 
    DH (23) and Me (23)
    Married 1/20/2015
    TTC #1 in August 2015! 
  • Options
    I think it would be super cheesy... Sorry!! People will assume you did it on purpose. It might even embarrass the kid later on (or maybe not, he might love it, but you just never know).

I'm hoping your baby waits until September!! :)
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I think it's fine...
    I have a friend named April and everyone asks her if she was born in April.
  • Options
    ecmbecmb member
    I think it's fine.  I like the name August and since you're not just naming your child after the month (even if he ends up coming a little early), then do what you want.  Haters gonna hate

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• Options
    I wouldn't do it. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    As kind of corny August born in August is its better than sisters I knew. The oldest Autumn was born in December and then the next sister Noel was born in September. I think that's worse haha
  • Options
    I'm really surprised that the majority opinion seems to be that it's cheesy. I normally have a very low cheese tolerance and I just don't see it. Sure naming a child born on Monday Monday or a child born in October October would be cheesy and unimaginative because those are not normally people's names. August is well established as a man's name so most people won't even ask if he was born in August. This is particularly true if this is becoming a trendy name as some have said. When people do ask he can simply say, "Yes, but that's not reason my parents choose the name." Cheese factor eliminated.
  • Options
    I just thought I'd add that he can also add, "Yes, but I was due in September and my parents had already fallen in love with the name. "

It's a very nice, strong, masculine name. I find Augustus too pretentious and, dare I say, cheesy :)
  • Options
    It is really clear that most people find this cheesy! I never think of August as a month name because it is so established, but it is good to know that a lot of people DO think of it that way. I wouldn't want to be side eyed forevermore.

Thanks for the feedback! I guess we'll keep it on the list and see when he/she comes if it is a doable name in those circumstances.

Pregnancy Ticker