March 2015 Moms
Options

Piercing baby's ears.

how long are you guys waiting to pierce your little ones ears?

I'm Hispanic and so many of my family members are telling me to do it when she's a week old.

When are you girls doing it??

Re: Piercing baby's ears.

• Options
    My familys Hispanic too but we still waited till my first girl was 3 months because thats what the pediatrician told us..and were also waiting till our newborn is 3 months also.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Probably when she's about 12 - that's when i got mine done.
  • Options
    If my daughter asks then we will talk about it.. Like 12 to 13 maybe? But I still to this day have never pierced my ears. My sisters and I weren't allowed to until we were 13. :)
  • Options
    Depending where your located too but isn't there an age restriction?
    Here in Australia most places don't do it until they are 5. Reason being there. Is a 50% chance that when she grows up the stud or earring will sag (meaning the skin will become loose and hang)
    I had mine down at a few months old and didn't have any issues.
    Guess it's a decision you need to make :)
    Maybe ask about it when you visit the beauty salon
  • Options
    I'm doing it when she is 3 months old as well. That's when I did my older daughter's too.
  • Options
    We did our older girls ears between 3 months and 9 months. Will probably do the same with this baby as well.
  • Options
    My daughter already has her ears pierced. My in laws came up from Mexico when she was a week old and my MIL did it at home. She has done it to all our nieces. She's a physician herself & I was comfortable with her sterilizing the needle and doing it at home. Not everyone is comfortable with doing it this young, but it was something we wanted to do. There were no tears or bleeding involved, and her ears have healed perfect (she's 1 month now) so I'm happy we did it when we did!
  • Options
    2 or 3 months. I'm with @stefmxo if she doesn't like it when she's older, she doesn't have to wear them
  • Options
    Personally, I'd rather not be dealing with caring for newly pierced ears on a baby. I had mine pierced at age 12 and I had to understand the responsibility first. I'll probably do the same with my children. But there's certainly nothing wrong with piercing infants' ears.
  • Options
    It is a cultural thing. My in-laws are 100% Italian and were shocked when we did not pierce our daughters ears. Every girl in their family have their ears pierced as a baby. I do not see a need, so this is our fourth daughter and none have their ears pierced. If they want it later I am fine with it. I had mine done at 13, but never wear earrings.
  • Options
    I'll let our baby make the choice. I asked for my 8th birthday and my parents allowed it only after they talked about how much care I would need to give them... So I think DD can vocalize when she is ready. Plus I am terrified of taking care of newly pierced ears on anyone younger than full sentence talking age :)
  • Options
    I'm Hispanic too but we don't do it until middle
    School if they ask.
  • Options

I personally believe body modification should be something someone consents to.

Also, if you do it now, you lose an awesome bargaining chip for later in life. I had to get straight A's in math before my dad took me to get my first set at age 10. Then the same conditions when I was age 15 and wanted my second set.

YES never underestimate the power of bribery... my 6 year old daughter told me the other day she wanted to get her ears pierced when she was 20. lol
  • Options
    I'm Hispanic also. My family usually says after her shots. But I'm Prob going to wait 2-3 months. Just cause I don't want her to get sick or god forbid an ear infection. Think you should wait a lil bit.
  • Options
    Jewelry in little babies can be dangerous. I think I got mine pierced when I was around 6 or 7 - and repierced when I was 12 cause the holes had closed. We'll see if and when this little girl asks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It doesn't really hurt. I had mine done when I was 12 then again at 17 because I had let them close.

Sure, they can not wear earrings if they don't want to, but they still have a hole/scar in their ear that they had no option in.
  • Options
    It is, indeed, a cultural thing. I have seen but, honestly, haven't looked for any medical evidence supporting when the best time to pierce ears. I like to advise families to wait until after the 2 month vaccines (tetanus being part of the regimen). However, assuming that the equipment is sterile, there shouldn't be much risk. Although I don't think nickel earrings are routinely used anymore, I might also suggest bringing your own pair in case of an allergy.
  • Options
    ngolimentongolimento member
    edited April 2015
    ohioxliz said:

I'm a body piercer and at the tattoo shop I work in we won't pierce infants. There's a very likely chance that as they grow their lobes will change and the placement of the piercing will move so it will sit in an undesirable place or even be uneven. Also, the risk of infection is greater since they have a weaker immune system. It's a modification to the body that should be consented for. Piercing guns commonly used also aren't sterile and diseases can be spread from them. My shop will rarely make exceptions to pierce under the age of 13. However when we do make exceptions it's never below the age of 6 and we have a discussion with the child as well as the adult to make sure they understand what it is and that they want it.

If you do get your infants ears pierced I would recommend going to a professional tattoo shop that has an autoclave and presterilized jewelry and tools. Sterling silver, gold and surgical steel jewelry are best. This will prevent chance of infection from unsanitary tools and jewelry. You still risk infection from aftercare but at least that risk goes down by doing so.

All if this. I cringe when I see people getting peirced at the mall by some random teenager at Clair's. It's a permenant body modification, don't you want a professional with high quality sterilization equipment doing it?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I do tell parents the same thing that if it was my child I would go to a tattoo and piercing parlor. The image of an infant in a parlor at be a bit jarring, but I would feel reassured seeing the equipment open in front of me.