Iowa Babies

Anyone in Iowa City?

I wish they just had an "Iowa" board instead of cities, since the cities there don't include the rest of the state. I'm a good 2 hours from Des Moines but it's the closest city I could find on the local boards! Anybody live in the Iowa City area?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image          image

Re: Anyone in Iowa City?

• I'm not in Iowa City, but I'm not incredibly far.  Please to see my avatar. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I wish they just had an "Iowa" board instead of cities, since the cities there don't include the rest of the state. I'm a good 2 hours from Des Moines but it's the closest city I could find on the local boards! Anybody live in the Iowa City area?
    I'm in the Quad Cities! There's not even an IL board either...I swore there used to be a QC board, but it wasn't active very much....

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • We just moved down to the CR area.
  • @jordynleighx3 I forgot you were down here too!
  • I'm in CR too!

BabyFruit Ticker

• So I'm missing girlfriends after living down here for a few months. Any interest in an Iowa get together?
  • I would love one, I'm always up for new friends!
    image          image

• I am just reading this, is anyone interested in meeting up in Iowa City?  I have a 9 yr, 4 yr and 6 month old in Iowa city, always looking for mommy friends!
  • I am also in the corridor!
  • I'm in Vinton, near CR. I have a 2 1/2 year old girl and due end of July/beginning of August. I'm originally from Bernard near Dubuque.
  • I work in IC and live in CR.  FTM, due in September

CafeMom Tickers

• In CR!

Howdy neighbor!  When are you due?  Maybe I'll be running into you at classes!  

CafeMom Tickers

• Hi!August 7. Doing several classes through St Lukes. When are you due?

Does anyone have any recommendations or insight on doulas in the area? Not finding much in CR, or they are outrageously priced. Just wanted to get more info. Thanks!
  • I was looking for doulas as well.  At this point I'm considering learning it all myself!  Maybe I should do the training and get certified... there doesn't seem to be a lot of competition.  I did see two listed with Birth, Baby and Beyond.  https://www.birthbabyandbeyond.org/

I'm due September 9, so I'm a good month behind you.  We are also doing our classes at St. Luke's, so who knows?  Are you having the baby there too?

CafeMom Tickers

• Yeah that's all I found too. They seem quite expensive for what you get.. But may check it out. Can't really decide. Yes, planning to have baby there.
  • Yep, I'm in Iowa City! I have a 3.5 year old daughter and due Christmas Eve with #2. As for doulas, check out icdoulas.com.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Anyone still looking at this?? If so, Cedar Rapids baby boy due Oct. 6th!
    :D
  • Anybody deliver at mercy in Iowa city? Due sept 10th, and their website is very minimal about labor and delivery. Just moved here from NJ where the hospital had a virtual tour and an abundance of info online.
  • edited June 2015
    @RachRoy08 I am delivering there as well with Dr. Smollen as my OB. This will be my first, but my Dr gave me a large list of Mercy I.C. classes and tours! I would get signed up with a tour for sure. :)
  • Before moving to Cedar Rapids, I lived in Iowa City and have had a lot of care and procedures done at Mercy.  I can't vouch for their L&D, but the hospital itself is nice!  

CafeMom Tickers

• RachRoy08 said:

Anybody deliver at mercy in Iowa city? Due sept 10th, and their website is very minimal about labor and delivery. Just moved here from NJ where the hospital had a virtual tour and an abundance of info online.

I haven't but my good friend has several times. I was not impressed. The upside- great docs. The downside- other staff was pretty grumpy and rude. They were bossy and anxious to move her from her labor room to her new room immediately when she could barely stand from meds and was crying and confused on why they just took her baby to the nicu.
    They wouldn't let dad drink the milk from the kitchenette. Only mom. This is a big deal in my book bc that meant dad had to go down three floors and across the hospital to the cafeteria and pay for a drink or snack. You are paying them plenty.... Dads should be able to have a drink!
    There is also no security of any kind and no one really pays attention to who is coming and going from the unit.

I live in CR so I'm delivering at St Lukes. But, just wanted to share my experience as a support person!
  • I'm in the Quad Cities!
  • mabapuntamabapunta member
    edited October 2015
    I also wish there was an Iowa board! I'm in CR and this is my first pregnancy...with all of our family out of state. EDD in May 2016, so we're just getting this party started. Fun times ahead :-P
  • I'm in the Quad Cities!

Me too!
  • I'm new to CR. EDD 7/2016