Success after IF

Support please

Hello everyone. I am new to this discussion board. My husband and I had our first consult with our fertility doctor after many ultrasounds and blood work done had been done. My doctor is concerned with some of my levels such as : FSH: 10.3, AMH: .4 and my follicle count: left: 8 right: 6. After speaking to our doctor we have decided to try IUI at least twice and If this doesn't work then do IVF. Has anyone gone through this and had success??? Please help with positive stories as I begin the journey to start my family.
Kristy

Re: Support please

• I went right to ivf because we had an issue with the sperm quality. Everyone is different, but for me, I got pregnant on my second round of ivf. I'm now 12 weeks pregnant. Has the sperm been tested? It's a pretty cheap and easy process, relative to eveything else. I'd suggest making sure your sperm quality is good before doing IUI. Good luck!
  • Hi. Congrats on your pregnancy!!! :). We had his sperm checked. He is normal. Doesn't have an amazing count but isn't anything that the doctor is concerned with. The problem is my eggs aren't that great. :_( I figured since I'm already on clomid what's another two months of doing IUI and trying that. How hard was IVF with the shots you had to give yourself? Thanks so much for the support. I'm pretty down in the dumps about all of this.
    Kristy
  • Loading the player...
  • We did 8 rounds of IUIs (2 of them were cancelled for too many follies). We got pregnant twice, but unfortunately they ended in miscarriages. We did IVF in 2013 and ended up pregnant our first try. Our DD is almost 9 months old now. We did IUIs at first because they were a lot more affordable. Part of me wishes we had done IVF since we were successful first, but I know a lot of people have success with IUIs. We did shots with IUIs and IVF. They aren't fun, but not terrible either. Just remember why you're doing them. It helps keep things in perspective.
  • Thank you so much for the message. Did you have low levels with low egg count or were you just an unknown fertility? I'm worried because my egg count is low. Is there still a possibility for us to get pregnant? Did you try pregnitude? A friend mentioned that to me and I'm going to ask my doctor tomorrow about it. Thanks for the success story. Congrats!!! :)
    Kristy
  • I have PCOS, so I don't ovulate. I'm not sure about the count and levels. I did take pregnitude before we did our IVF. I took it for a few months before we planned on starting treatment. While I was doing treatments I only did what my doctor prescribed. I never asked him about pregnitude though. I will warn you it's nasty. I had a hard time drinking it. I also did acupuncture before and during treatments. Good luck. Infertility is no fun. We tried for 9 years.
  • Good to know. Thanks. I was thinking about looking into acupuncture. My sister told me one of her friends tried it. I'm scared to do that though. Infertility does suck and those that don't have problems don't understand. Thanks for all your help. :)
    Kristy
  • Acupuncture is amazing. My acupuncturist does a gentle massage/touch during the treatment. The needles are the size of a strand of hair. You can't feel them at all. I would definitely recommend them. My doctor does not want me to take herbs though. I know some acupuncturists push them.
  • Good to know. I will look into that. I go in on Monday for an ultrasound. I'm thinking next week will be the insemiabtion so when would you suggest going to do acupuncture. Before? After? Thanks for the info.
    Kristy
  • Do it before and then the of the procedure if possible.
  • Great. Thanks for the help. :)
    Kristy
  • 1983Lindsey21983Lindsey2 member
    edited March 2015
    I had success after 6 cycles, 4 of which were IUIs. More info in my siggy. Personally, if I had to do it all over again I would have jumped to IVF right away. We are 100% OOP and spent about 12k on everything and now with our second are just going straight to IVF. If I did IVF with #1 there is a chance I would have some frozen embryos to use for #2, which would have been more cost effective. Of course, there is no guarantee on that. I think that if I were you, I wouldn't do more than 2 IUIs before going to IVF. I agree with your doctor on that one, but I get it too if you just go straight to IVF. There was a gal on TTTC when I was on there with high FSH that didn't respond to injectables for IVF at all, even Menopur, but did get pregnant with either Clomid +IUI or Femara + IUI (I can't remember which). I wish you the best of luck!
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5

• I'm a big woosie as far as shots, getting blood taken, any of that. It's mostly in my head, though some do hurt. You'll get through it- it's worth it! My husband injected me. I'd suggest getting into a routine. For us it was heat/ice depending on what was recommended for that injection, and numbing cream, then I'd sit with that for a while, then do the shots, then more heat/ice while my DH got me a piece of chocolate :)
  • Lindsey- thank you so much for the helpful information. My fingers are crossed that the IUI works, but I'm not holding my breathe. My problem is my counts along with my eggs count isn't great. Emotionally I can probably only go through IUI with not getting pregnant from it. Fingers crossed it works though.

LittleRocket- thanks so much for the giggle. I love chocolate and make sure my husband does the same thing.

Thanks for all the support ladies. I truly needed it after this week of finding out all this bad news about my levels.
    Kristy
  • edited March 2015
    Goodluck with everything I have a Dor diagnosis egg issues as well and was sucessful on my third IUI cycle second clomid cycle. The cycle that ended up working was a iui+clomid+ovidrel trigger.Originally the game plan when I started treatment was Ivf because I'm
    Ama during the ivf treatment protocol I never responded to any of the Ivf injections not follistim or even the highest dose of Menopur.My re suggested a clomid iui treatment and that worked.I'm currently ttc a sibling so I'm hoping for the same outcome everything crossed. I wish you nothing but the best I know how hard it is but do know that iuis can work for some people.

TTC since 2012 

Dx : DOR

IUI #1 (Follistim switched over to Menopur injections) - BFN

Attempted IUI #2 (Menopur injections only cycle) better response on the Menopur then the Follistim combination treatment cycle however my cycle was still canceled due to my eggs not maturing and follicles not growing enough on a high dose of Menopur (Re said I could try a cycle of comid + ovidrel  for an IUI) for my second IUI( praying this works for us)

Clomid + Ovidrel protocol worked still a BFN as a result

Attempted cycle  Clomid  + Ovidrel protocol for IUI # 3 (Unable to do this cycle due to a cyst)

IUI # 3 Clomid+ Ovidrel protocol - BFP    Beta #1 752  Beta #2  1536    Beta #3 3797

EDD 10/27/14

Our sweet baby boy arrived on 9/2/14 TTC # 2 Conceived without help- June 2015 July 2015- Miscarriage ( blighted ovum)
    March 2016 (ectopic pregnancy) :( 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • After trying clomid with no success, we went straight to IVF. A major deciding factor is that we had limited insurance coverage for fertility treatments.  Like @1983Lindsey2 indicated the IUI treatments add up. We didn't want to squander the little coverage we did have and be 6mo further, out of insurance and still no pregnancy. 

The shots are hard the first couple of times, but you get the hang of it and keep your eye on the prize. Good luck!!!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• @iloveflipflops  You were who I was talking about!!!  :) 
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5

• @iloveflipflops  You were who I was talking about!!!  :) 

Hi I thought I recognized your screen name I gave birth two months early in September my original due date month was October. Are you also ttc a sibling as well? I'm headed back to the Re in two weeks same fertility center just a different RE. Goodluck with everything!

TTC since 2012 

Dx : DOR

IUI #1 (Follistim switched over to Menopur injections) - BFN

Attempted IUI #2 (Menopur injections only cycle) better response on the Menopur then the Follistim combination treatment cycle however my cycle was still canceled due to my eggs not maturing and follicles not growing enough on a high dose of Menopur (Re said I could try a cycle of comid + ovidrel  for an IUI) for my second IUI( praying this works for us)

Clomid + Ovidrel protocol worked still a BFN as a result

Attempted cycle  Clomid  + Ovidrel protocol for IUI # 3 (Unable to do this cycle due to a cyst)

IUI # 3 Clomid+ Ovidrel protocol - BFP    Beta #1 752  Beta #2  1536    Beta #3 3797

EDD 10/27/14

Our sweet baby boy arrived on 9/2/14 TTC # 2 Conceived without help- June 2015 July 2015- Miscarriage ( blighted ovum)
    March 2016 (ectopic pregnancy) :( 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • After 7 yrs TTC and 5 pg losses ("unexplained"), I did two IUIs (BFNs) and switched to one of the nation's best clinics for IVF -- by then I was age 38, FSH 9, AMH 0.9, AFC ~11 total, although I think BCP suppressed that number.  DH was "prescribed" vitamins to optimize his swimmers and I had uterine reconstruction to optimize mine.  B/c of age we did PGS and of our 5 blasts (all Day 6!), 2 were normal.  The normals were our lowest-graded blasts, so if a person doesn't do PGS I always cheer for the "worst" embryos for live birth!  We did eSET, so it would have been 3 FETs for our 1st child if we did it by grade, it was only 1 FET by PGS results.  FX for you!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you. First insemination is tomorrow. Fingers crossed! Thanks for all the support ladies!!! I appreciate it so much. :)
    Kristy
  • dp21dp21 member
    Good luck!

Me:
    30, DH: 32
    My hx:  uterus/hormones normal Dx: low AMH 0.5 = poor ovarian reserve
    hubby hx: low sperm count, poor motility, started on clomid, retest in May showed no improvement, will be on clomid another 3 months, another retest scheduled for August

Started IVF #1:  ~BFP Mentioned~
    • ER (Thursday April 17th, 3 precious eggs).
    • April 18th: Received news 2 out of 3 eggs fertilized!
    •  Planned 3dt: Easter day, transferred two 8B embryos and received pictures :)
    • BFP starting 8dp3dt 5/1 Beta #1: 87, 5/3 Beta #2 206 
    • 5/19 Heartbeat 123bpm
    • EDD 1/8/15

• Thank you. Today is the big insemination day! :) hope it works!!! Thanks for all the support everyone!!! Best of luck to you if you are TTC!!!! :)
    Kristy
  • I hope it went well! The 2ww can be hard, but exciting! Good luck!
  • PUPO!!!!
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • Hi! I'm probably late to the party, but here's my story. My husband and I are both 40. We started trying as soon as we got married four years ago when we were both 36. It's recommended that if you are 35 and older and have been trying for a year with no success that you seek professional help. So after year of trying we did. We did 4 IUIs and nothing. Because of my egg quality (because of my age) and the low count and motility of my husband's sperm, the doctor recommended we did IVF with ICSI. We had to cancel our first round because I wasn't responding well to the medication. My ovaries weren't growing as they should have and my follicles were few. We took a break for three months. The doctor put me on supplements like CoQ10, L-arginine, and DHEA. I also visited the acupuncturist and did acupuncture and herbal medicine. The reason I waited three months is because it takes three months for an egg to mature. So we were preparing my body so that it could produce the best eggs possible. Next cycle I responded perfectly and they retrieved five eggs. Of those five, 4 fertilized and three made it to blastocyst stage. Long story short.... it worked! I am now 13 1/2 weeks pregnant! I hope my story gives you hope and I wish you the best of luck!