April 2015 Moms
Options

Declining 28 week rhogam shot?

crichter18crichter18 member
edited March 2015 in April 2015 Moms
I didn't but I read somewhere that people do. Again, like the Strep B, I wouldn't think of declining it and didn't think it was really a choice. But it said that some women claim it's unnecessary and decline it but then get the one after delivery. Has anyone here ever declined the 28 week rhogam shot? Or has anyone not gotten it for any reason but then got the one after delivery and were told you were fine?

Re: Declining 28 week rhogam shot?

• Options
    I'm sorry, but WTF? Why would anyone refuse this shot? Why on earth risk it? My mother had a string of miscarriages and still births before I managed to survive (born in 1974) due to the advances made in treating Rh issues. I really shake my head when people refuse things like simple shots to ensure the health of their baby. Just because things sometimes work out when people don't follow medical advice, doesn't mean that's a smart course of action.
  • Options
    If a mom with Rh negative blood mixes with  Rh-positiveblood, her immune system will react to the Rh factor by making antibodies to destroy it. This immune system response is called Rh sensitization. Rh sensitization can occur during pregnancy if you are Rh-negative and pregnant with a developing baby (fetus) who hasRh-positive blood.
    With the first pregnancy the baby is not normally affected but if the rhogam shot is refused and mom gets pregnant again there is a chance that baby #2 could be attacked by the antibodies from mom's blood, causing a miscarriage. The shot basically prevents mom's body from making antibodies that attack rh positive babies. I have mostly heard of mom's getting the rhogam shot shortly after birth but I would follow doctors recommendations.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In Ireland they don't give a 28 week shot, they wait until after the baby is born. I got one at around 13 weeks because of some light bleeding but that's it now until I have the baby.
  • Options
    Due to some bleeding at 7 weeks, I've had the injections every 12 weeks to ensure my body doesn't become sensitized. The risks to this current baby are minimal, but not getting the shot could be dangerous for future pregnancies. I don't understand why people would decline, I hate needles but don't find this injection to be at all painful though even if it was I would absolutely get it. The risks to baby are just not worth it.

Anniversary

• Options
    Again, why would one do this? This isn't a buffet. It's medical care. Rh sensitization can devastate future pregnancies. I'd only decline if I knew my partner was also Rh negative. I've had the shot twice (once for a pregnancy loss and then at 28 weeks with this pregnancy). Thought never crossed my mind. Just google hydrops fetalis if you'd like to see why this is a bad idea.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Seriously !!??? For the love of God!! Why do people not want to do preventive things for their babies I don't get it . Why get pregnant....shm.... :-w
  • Options
    They ciuld garm tgenselves uf they skip it!its made to block the babys pisitive blood from mixing with the mothers negative blood type. It can cause maternal hemorrhage
  • Options
    Could harm*
  • Options
    I know what it's for, I did my research, and I did not decline it. However while I was doing research I came across things that said sometimes women decline the 28 week one and just get the one after delivery. I was just curious if anybody has denied it or what other countries do, like a pp said they don't give the 28 week one where she lives.
  • Options
    I always roll my eyes when people say things like "why would you not vaccinate your child that's insane?!" Because it makes me think how could you not possibly know that there is opposing opinions and people have their reasons for not. But in this case I find myself saying why would you not get the shot that's insane?! (I don't mean YOU I mean collective you).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"