April 2014 Moms

Daycare Teacher too Touchy?

So I always said that the daycare teachers are essentially surrogate moms and I want my DD close to them. I accept this. However, yesterday her main teacher kissed her on the head while my husband was holding DD, and then today while I was holding DD the teacher kept stroking DD's hair. I said something to my husband and he didn't see the big deal. Maybe I'm just being petty bc I worry about all the time I have to spend away from DD. Do any others have these kind of experiences? How do you handle it?

Re: Daycare Teacher too Touchy?

• Our daycare ladies are very affectionate to C; it upsets my husband but I'm actually ok with it- I'd rather have C extra loved. Kinda weird how they would do it while you are holding her- not sure how to address that!
    I'm switching daycares and I hope C is loved as much as she is now!
  • I think it's cute. I mean, I want my provider to love my kid since they spend so much time together! Especially with infants- I think it's nice for them to show affection and care about the kids in their care. Certainly better than being aloof or ambivalent!

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Loading the player...
  • I had one of the workers kiss my daughter and tell her she loved her in front of me recently. It surprised me a little, but I really like this staff member and it kind of confirmed for me how much she cares about DD. I'm okay with it. I might not be in different circumstances with a different staff though.
  • Ours does that too. She kisses LO goodbye when I pick him up. She's a little old grandma lady, and I've never really thought about it. It is a little weird I guess, haha.
  • Mr dr is like this, I actually like it. It's comforting to know that they really care about my daughter
  • The kiss would kind of weird me out, but really I think it's no big deal. I agree that it's nice that they are affectionate and care so much about the little ones!
  • I find it nearly impossible not to miss a baby I'm holding, so I think it's pretty normal. LO comes home from her day smelling like her teachers/grandma (depending on the day) and I like it because I know she was loved all day.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I run a daycare at home.  I don't kiss the other kids, I think that's weird.  But I do give hugs and snuggles.  Not if the parent is holding them though.  If that's the case we stick to high fives.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used to think it was a little weird to kiss another person's baby... until I was holding a coworkers baby the other day and kissed him on the head without even realizing I did it lol. Its almost an instinct.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• One of the owners of my daycare kisses my daughter usually when I hand her off. I was weirded out by it at first, but I can tell DD has bonded with her. Now I feel a little better about it because my daughter knows someone special other than me is there to take care of her. Also DD was the only infant at the daycare in a very long time so she was the daycare rockstar for a while. Now she has a new little infant friend there, But I think DD is still their rockstar.
  • Alli0322Alli0322 member
    edited March 2015

I work on a pediatric floor as a nurse, and I had to really reign myself back from being too affectionate with some of the little ones. A lot of times parents will just leave and we have babies left alone, so I would often do my charting while holding a baby or even a 2 yr old. This was before I had my son, but the instinct to kiss their little heads or stroke their hair was so strong, I felt a little weird giving in to it, but I feel like it's a natural thing. But - with that being said, trust your gut. Does this daycare teacher do anything else that makes you uncomfortable? Do they seem "off"? If not, it could just be that motherly thing kicking in since we all want to cuddle little ones. And I totally understand how you feel about being away from her, I work full time and HATE it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used to be a preschool teacher, and I genuinely loved so many of the kids! There were a few each year I got attached to that I would be affectionate with like that (all under 3 years). I personally wouldn't kiss them if the parent was holding them, only because I would feel like I would be invading the parent's personal space, but not for any other reason. I wouldn't be afraid to kiss them on the cheek if I was holding them and about to hand them off or something. None of the parents had issues with me. :)
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Well hello @edoliesmom!  Miss your posts!

• Thanks ladies! This has helped. I don't think it helps that I got off to a weird start with this teacher, through no fault at all on her behalf. Plus, I'm just jealous of all the time she has with my LO.
  • smushi said:

Well hello @edoliesmom!  Miss your posts!

Just now seeing this. Hiiii! :-h
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"