Food Allergy

dealing with a relative who doesn't believe in food allergies?

So DD has a number or allergies, some worse than others. Over Thanksgiving, we made it clear what she was allergic to in hopes that there would make sure there was food there she could eat and we would be informed of anything containing something she is allergic to. Instead, they went a head and prepared a meal containing foods that she can't eat and didn't let us know. My first clue was when she broke out in hives from head to toe and began vomiting. Now how did they make such a critical mistake? Because they don't believe in food allergies. This particular side of the family belongs to a religion that doesn't believe in modern medicine or allergies in general. We are not allowing DD to eat at their home again until we make them understand the seriousness of her food allergies. Has anyone dealt with someone like this and can give some advice on how to make them understand?
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers IAmPregnant Ticker image

Re: dealing with a relative who doesn't believe in food allergies?

• Loading the player...
  • How did your relatives react when your DD had her allergic reaction? I would hope by seeing her reaction they would see food allergies are real and very serious...

That aside, unfortunately, you can't assume others will accommodate your DD's allergies, or understand the severity of them - no matter their background. When DD1 was diagnosed with her allergies, it became clear certain friends/family took the matter seriously and wanted to learn about her allergies. Other family members took time and repeated discussions to get on the same page.

My mom and IL's make food for our DD's, but we go over the ingredients ahead of time, and they keep packaging so I can double check the labels first. I also always bring snacks whenever we leave the house, so our girls have something I know they can eat, in the event there isn't safe food for them at whatever event we are going to.

As an allergy parent, you now have the role of educating family, friends, caregivers, and teachers about your LO's allergies and how to manage them. You'll find some people are very supportive and accommodating, while others will brush off the issue.

Being the food police sucks sometimes, but it's our job - and only ours- to make sure we ask questions about ingredients and ensure our kiddos are safe. It's something we have to remain vigilant about as long as they have allergies.

I hope your family comes around. But know that you're not alone. Unfortunately this is a common problem for allergy parents.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • I wouldn't bother trying. Some people just won't learn. Allergies can change at any time in life though so maybe some day they will deal with it and change their tune. So sorry you had to deal with this. We were in the ER on Christmas day with a reaction, it sucks. =(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • VORVOR member
    I'm assuming you knew about their religious views before. Or had SOME idea? I don't mean to point fingers, but I'm a little baffled why you put them entirely in charge of your DDs food. ANd did you ask them, before feeding her, about the ingredients? even when I go to homes where I know people will accomodate DS, I still take food and/or double check what they have for him. ANd ditto the others - its' doubtful you'll be able to change their views. Either never go to their home again OR if you do, take food for your DD.
  • luvboston said:
    When your kid has a food allergy you never let anyone else make food for them.

This. I always bring something that I know DD can eat. I don't usually let her eat food prepared by someone else unless I can check the ingredients.
  • It's easy feed your own child. Do not count on anyone to make special food for your daughter. I always make sure my daughter is fed by me or my dh only.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"