February 2015 Moms

This is not a question...

So lately I've been feeling frustrated and a little isolated, and I just wanted to vent for a moment. Please feel free to comment with your own venting or even with a "will you please shut up" as well. Whatever suits you.

First and foremost, I know how incredibly blessed I am to have a healthy baby girl. By no means is this post meant to discredit that fact at all.

However, motherhood has been a lonely experience. We live 2,000+ miles away from any family and our close friends. We have some friends in the area, but only a couple are parents who "understand". And most we don't see very often. I'm on my seventh week of maternity leave, and it's just so HARD.

I had a difficult labor and delivery (45 hours of labor, where I was stuck in the bed for over 24 hours of it. Traumatic delivery with some complications. Rough, painful, long recovery for me.)

My husband works around 10-12 hours a day, and any close friends I have in the area also work all day and have their own personal schedules. For the majority of my days, I am alone with a baby. My first baby. The first baby in both our families. And I'm going crazy.

I've met a few moms through a mommy-and-me group, which is nice, but it's not the same. It's not the same as being with family, meeting up with good friends, having help from people you know and trust, getting grandma to be babysitter for an hour. I make every attempt to get out and go to events, and I feel good, but I still come home to just myself.

My husband helps, but not as much as I need. He doesn't get up with her at night because he works the next day and I don't feel it's fair to wake him. Again, he works long hours and isn't home for the bulk of the day. He often cooks dinner, but other than that the household chores are my responsibility. So, if my baby DOES sleep and DOES let me put her down, I'm spending my time on laundry, cleaning, dishes, grocery shopping, etc.

I have not had a baby-free moment in almost 7 weeks.

And I know this is what it's like. I know I shouldn't complain because, really, how "tough" is it?! Things could be so much harder. But there are a lot of times in my day when I just struggle to find the patience. Like when I have to wear her in a carrier all day long because she won't let me put her down. And I have to pee with her on my lap. And eat yet another rushed, cold meal because she just. won't. stop. crying. Or when she doesn't nurse, and instead screams and bucks her head but there's no one around to help. Or when she nurses every hour for hours on end. I could keep going but I won't...

We're moving closer to family in a few months, which is great, but that doesn't make this time any easier. I've told my husband all of this and he had a less than helpful response (basically a "I'm sorry, but what do you expect" response).

I realize this was probably an incredibly annoying post for those who actually read it, and I apologize if I sound selfish and pathetic. I could have written this somewhere private, but for some reason putting it here felt more cathartic. Thanks.

Re: This is not a question...

• I think there are a lot of women that share these sentiments completely; I know I'm one of them!! I got to go to the grocery store alone the other day and literally rambled to a woman that merely said hello. I felt so badly afterwards. I need more adult interaction lol.

Hang in there, momma! You're doing great!! What's the weather like? Can you get outside for a walk? Fresh air is like heaven for me!
  • @tdegarmo1 haha I do the same thing! And I'm in southern Orange County, CA so I've got great weather. I walk at least 1-2 times a day. It's helpful, but it's still just me and the baby walking, you know?
  • Loading the player...
  • edited March 2015
    Double post. Ignore this one
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Do you have a nursery set up for her, some place where you can shut the door? I find that when I'm home alone with my baby girl and I can feel the frustration building and that I am starting to lose it, I put her in her crib in the nursery and shut the door for a few minutes. Sometimes, babies just cry and get fussy for no reason and no matter what you try to do, nothing will help them. You just need to let her get it out while you take a few moments for yourself. Instead of rush eating a cold meal, put her in her crib, or bouncy seat, or bassinet or what have you, shut the door, grab a monitor if you want, and take that time to eat your food.

By giving in to whenever she starts crying you are helping her to recognize a pattern, "I get attention every time I cry" or "mommy picks me up every time I cry" etc. When she starts crying, look at her and her body language for a few minutes. Are her legs bucking? She probably needs to be changed. Is she rubbing the side of her face, or rubbing the side of her face on the mattress? She might be hungry, though try a binky first, sometimes they just want something to suck on. Feel her? Does she feel a little warm? Maybe put some cooler clothes on her. When you're not nursing her, changing her, bathing her, etc. then her being held should be minimized until she realizes that you always aren't going to hold her and carry her when she cries.

Maybe, when your husband comes home tonight, ask him to take care of her for an hour while you get out of the house, or maybe take a nice hot and relaxing bath? I know a bath always calms and refreshes me. I know he works 12 hour days, but sometimes you too need time for you. If he gives you crap for it, throw back in his face what he said to you, "I am sorry, but what did you expect?" I've had to do this several times with my hubby in the last month because he's working and I am not, but just expected me to be able to handle everything during the day while he takes the MOTN routine. Not always the case, sometimes I need a break that includes more than just sleep. You can't be expected to handle everything, and vis versa with him. You both have to take turns, especially when you have days and feeling like today. Good luck and I hope things get better for you.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I feel you as well. Other posters have given great advice. I sometimes just have to put my little man down because my food is done and I want to eat a hot meal. My husband and 19 month old DD are gone all day so sometimes I feel like I'm going to lose it more so when they are home. For me it's because my husband is not helping as much as I would like. My DD tries to help with her brother but how helpful is a germy, snotty 19 month old? I have talked to my husband and he just doesn't get it. He thinks he has worked all day and I have "sat" at home. I do all the house work and cooking as well so sitting is like a dream. Fortunately my little guy is a very good baby but he will cry just to cry sometimes. He has just ate, clean diaper, burped, etc. I had to do it with DD so I do it with him too. I just put him down in his swing, bouncy chair, or play mat and do what I need to do for a few minutes. Sometimes it's eat, quick 5 minute shower etc. I pick him up after with his pacifier and he is happy and usually will fall asleep at that point. If I didn't take these few minutes to myself I would lose it with everyone and that wouldn't be fair to my DD. I did this with DD and she is a well rounded little girl so I don't feel as guilty this time around taking a few minutes to myself when little man gets fussy and I can tell I'm getting impatient. I truly believe they can sense our frustration, stress etc and I think it makes them more fussy. Take those minutes to yourself!
  • I felt like I was reading my life story when I read your post. I am also far away from family, no close friends, ftm, and husband working all week. I definitely can empathize with you. I've been trying to find things to do outside of the house a few days a week, like drs appt to get out. I also have ppd so I've been seeing a therapist. Yesterday was my second visit and it's helping with my coping. Can you call family or friends when your at home alone? That helps me sometimes.
  • Single FTM here and it is hard!! Don't worry I guess everyone says it gets easier. I am so sleep deprived and while I love my baby so much I have to put him in his room and leave. Crazy baby, after a good cry I'll come back after ten minutes and he's in there, dripping tears and cooing happily to himself. Eventually they grow up...
    I get by on calling my family, mall walking, and cooking some BA new food with baby watching from the pack n play. Just post if you need people :).
  • I completely understand. Its tough being alone all day. My dh works 14 hours a day & has to sleep so I find myself losing my mind at the end of the work week. luckily for me I have family close by to give me a few hours..I feel terrible you dont. Sometimes I do put her down in the middle of a crying session so I can make food & just eat. Everyone says it gets easier....one day at a time! Hang in there...
  • Thank you, ladies!

I took lots of your advice the past day and a half. Walks, let her sit while I ate, got out and went shopping, called some family, and I feel a bit better. Even had some wine!

I know some days are harder than others, and it'll take some getting used to. But thank you for your kind words and supportive suggestions!
  • @loriann091 glad you're feeling better.

• By giving in to whenever she starts crying you are helping her to recognize a pattern, "I get attention every time I cry" or "mommy picks me up every time I cry" etc. When she starts crying, look at her and her body language for a few minutes. Are her legs bucking? She probably needs to be changed. Is she rubbing the side of her face, or rubbing the side of her face on the mattress? She might be hungry, though try a binky first, sometimes they just want something to suck on. Feel her? Does she feel a little warm? Maybe put some cooler clothes on her. When you're not nursing her, changing her, bathing her, etc. then her being held should be minimized until she realizes that you always aren't going to hold her and carry her when she cries.

Our babies are not old enough to cry to be spiteful. Saying a newborn/1 month old should have being held minimized is ridiculous. It is widely known in the medical field that babies who are held minimally are more at risk for flat spot on the skull. Besides, babies cry for a reason. You just may not happen to know what it is.

@loriann091 I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. New babies are always tough, especially without family nearby. I'm in SoCal too - quite close to you. I haven't joined any groups just yet, but have you heard of stroller strides? It's an exercise group for mommies with stroller riding kids. Getting outside and doing things with other mommies might help your cabin fever.
    Anniversary 

• I am also far from family and have a husband who went back to work right away.to be honest, this is so much harder than I expected and there have been lots of tears....from baby and I! I have a suggestion for getting a hot meal though! I feed baby first then I put him in the bouncer beside me so I can bounce him while I eat. It's been working for us! Take comfort in knowing you are not the only one feeling frustrated!
  • I feel ya too. I also had a very long labor (~40 hours) and complications. I struggle with frustrations with not being able to care for myself properly while taking care of DS but also with my own body in general. It has taken a lot longer for me to "recover" than I ever expected. This is my first and DH works 10-12 hr days as well. Hopefully it does get easier and very soon!
    Married the love of my life October 13th, 2012!
    BFP June 12th, 2014 (very faint), BFP June 13th, 2014 obviously positive

Our First Baby!
    BabyFruit TickerBabyFetus Ticker
    Team Green!
  • @MrsTucker2011 I agree with you completely. Babies don't understand cause and effect until past three months or more - so "crying it out" isn't really helping them. At this stage, if they cry it's because they need something.

One thing that was recently suggested to me is to try probiotics once a day, maybe in her night time feeding. I had a friend whose baby (2 weeks younger than mine) cried and ate constantly. Turns out, she was struggling to digest her milk and was becoming more gassy = fussy and thinking she was hungrier than she really was. I'm going to try to see if that helps my little gal as well because she is a gassy lady!

Also, I've sucked it up and finally started to tell my husband what he can do to help when he's home. Today I left him with the baby for an hour while I went and did a fitness class. Just an hour to myself was so liberating. It'll get better! I know it will.
  • It's a lonely being at home everyday. I completely understand how you feel. It's a new adjustment for every to find a new normal. Getting out and walking (when the weather corporates) really helps me and also not being scared to take LO with me when I just need to get out of the house. Communication is a must with your hubby. I felt like I had to be this perfect house wife mom, then reality set in. I'm not perfect and I need help and I need to not be scared to ask for it. We have to talk time for ourselves even if it's just 10 minutes a day, it's wellness for us.
  • Have you tried a baby carrier?? Just use it at home when you need to really get things done!!

It can get soooo lonely at home with just a baby to talk to!! Anytime someone wants to come over I say yes without hesitation! My husband works third shift and was getting annoyed when he'd wake up to people at the house.... He barely has to help take care of our baby so he just doesn't understand what it's like!
  • Hang in there mommas! You all are doing a wonderful job! Remember we are super heroes! We grow humans!
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"